• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it time for CGC board marketplace sales to be reported to GPA?

230 posts in this topic

To me it sounds like you'd rather not do anything to keep it clean than take a change and do something. Well, doing nothing helps nobody.

The process works now. What's being proposed threatens the integrity of that process.

Again in case you're not listening, GPA is working now. They are getting enough info to gauge what the marketplace is doing. They don't need to use sales here nor take on the headaches that could happen by doing so...

Jim

And, Jim, you're a party pooper.

No...it's a bad idea...

Again, I'd be surprised if George even considers this nonsense...

Jim

So what you're saying is that if you're in the Market for a tough book (JIM #89 CGC 8.5 anyone), you'd rather trust raw unsubstantiated auction data over a transaction that, say, TeddieMercedes, Burntboy and I have had over the same book 3 times in two years? Even though I paid 3 times GPA over 3 years ago for it?

hm

Makes sense to me.

:screwy:

R.

No...it's a bad idea...

Jim

Poop. Poop. Poop.

That was real adult of you...

And you expect GPA to consider sales data from here... lol

Jim

No...it's a bad idea...

Jim

So what you're saying is that if you're in the Market for a book (JIM #89 anyone), you'd rather trust raw unsubstantiated auction data over a transaction that, say, TeddieMercedes, Burntboy and I have had over the same book 3 times in two years?

hm

Makes sense to me.

R.

Please tell me when you fell off the GPA wagon since you like to quote them so much in your sales... hm

Jim

No...it's a bad idea...

Jim

Poop. Poop. Poop.

That was real adult of you...

And you expect GPA to consider sales data from here... lol

Jim

I wasn't actually shooting for an adult response there. But, kidding aside, I think we just have to agree to disagree. I think there's much more opportunity for market manipulation from the sources already reporting to GPA than there would be from here on the boards. You apparently disagree.

Please tell me when you fell off the GPA wagon since you like to quote them so much in your sales... hm

Jim

Not sure what you mean by this? Spell it out for me?

R.

Jim

R.

I'm guessing that you are wondering why I pay over GPA but sell at GPA?

I wanted a book bad.

When I sell I don't expecty people to want my books as badly.

R.

To me it sounds like you'd rather not do anything to keep it clean than take a change and do something. Well, doing nothing helps nobody.

The process works now. What's being proposed threatens the integrity of that process.

Again in case you're not listening, GPA is working now. They are getting enough info to gauge what the marketplace is doing. They don't need to use sales here nor take on the headaches that could happen by doing so...

Jim

Jim the process works now on data that is often unverifiable.

Wouldn't you rather have data included that is MORE transparent than an Ebay auction or an Auction site that has no identified bidder's?

What integrity is there other than George's word that he has accurately collected the data?

In case you are not listening , there are sales that happen here on very rare books that are never ever going to be tracked by GPA because they never ever sell in a public setting. They may be in a different market than what you collect but they are important to people other than yourself. Keeping this in mind, enough info is never enough. All that can happen is that GPA can become more accurate (when factoring errors that may happen regardless of the source data).

I have a couple of questions for you.

Do you ever use GPA?

Why do you trust non-transparent sales data from Heritage and Ebay over what we are talking about in this thread?

The process works because people are willing to put time and effort into making it a good service. If everyone stopped reporting sales it wouldn't work would it?

R.

So what you're saying is that if you're in the Market for a tough book (JIM #89 CGC 8.5 anyone), you'd rather trust raw unsubstantiated auction data over a transaction that, say, TeddieMercedes, Burntboy and I have had over the same book 3 times in two years? Even though I paid 3 times GPA over 3 years ago for it?

It's not you, Burntboy, and TeddieMercedes he's worried about. It's the Hammers, Bugaboos, and MajorKhaoses. MajorKhaos would manipulate it not out of malice, but simply to tear the idea down, to prove it can be done. There are dozens of others who would also manipulate it once they realized the avenue was available to them, although that likely would take a few months or years to begin happening.

It's not you, Burntboy, and TeddieMercedes he's worried about. It's the Hammers, Bugaboos, and MajorKhaoses. MajorKhaos would manipulate it not out of malice, but simply to tear the idea down, to prove it can be done. There are dozens of others who would also manipulate it once they realized the avenue was available to them, although that likely would take a few months or years to begin happening.

Again, these would be board members pre-approved by George. New forum IDs created by Hammer, Bugaboo or Major Khaos wouldn't make the grade.

Jim

Do you not use GPA data to justify prices on comics you sell in the marketplace? Yet you're implying that GPA isn't as reliable unless Board sells are factored in. Can't have it both ways...

Jim

Jim

Do you not use GPA data to justify prices on comics you sell in the marketplace? Yet you're implying that GPA isn't as reliable unless Board sells are factored in. Can't have it both ways...

Jim

I don't get it.

Why can't I sell based on market trends that GPA reports and also report my sales to GPA?

How is this different than any other data source out there?

Where do you dunderheads find the time to discuss things like this on a wed afternoon? (shrug)

It's actually not a bad idea if the details can be hammered out. And mind you there are a lot of them, but that does not mean it should be dismissed prematurely.

btw, "poop poop poop" is considered to be a VERY proffesional and adult response in many countries.

I don't get it.

doh!

You think GPA data is reliable enough to base your sales on...but on the otherhand you're using all kinds of examples to question GPA data unless they start using Board sales.

Apparently GPA data is good enough for you to use to base your sales on...and that's the concensus throughout the hobby. No need to change. And if there was change it would definitely have to an avenue more reliable than an Internet message board.

Again, if you want your data to count, become a dealer with a clientele and proven, consistent, bulk sales to make it worth their attention.

Jim

Jim,

I can understand some of your concerns. However, I'm lost as to why you would trust my data less than you would the stuff received from Doug 'Can I pay for those with a company check?' Schmell?

I'll put myself forward for whatever verification George requires of me...and I know I'll pass muster.

I also know that any deals I'm involved in would, too.

As I said earlier...'verified traders only'. It's all in the details, my friend. (thumbs u

I don't get it.

doh!

You think GPA data is reliable enough to base your sales on...but on the otherhand you're using all kinds of examples to question GPA data unless they start using Board sales.

Apparently GPA data is good enough for you to use to base your sales on...and that's the concensus throughout the hobby. No need to change. And if there was change it would definitely have to an avenue more reliable than an Internet message board.

Again, if you want your data to count, become a dealer with a clientele and proven, consistent, bulk sales to make it worth their attention.

Jim

Jim, WTF are you talking about?

Why do you pick apart my posts and take them out of context?

You are obviously daft, lazy, don't care or all of the above.

I never said GPA is unreliable. I said it could me MORE accurate with even more sales data...especially for books that rarely change hands.

You also never answered my questions...which would greatly help in the discussion here.

1) Do you use GPA?

2) How is an anonymous bid on an internet site more accurate than sales data among esteemed board members?

:popcorn: