• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you grade a comic book? What's your grading style?

28 posts in this topic

My current protocol....

Remove the book from Mylar

Scan front & back cover at 120%

Look over the scans making mental note of any/all defects

Take book in hand & tilt under the light to check for NCB creases, surface imperfections, etc..

Place book back in mylar & give it a gut-shot grade :acclaim:

I actually do start some place in the middle. Earlier Silver Age marvel is my area of familiarity.

A clean, not highly stressed book with rounded edges places the book in the 6.0s and the sharper the edges the higher my assessment. When it looks almost perfect, I start turning the book to light to see why it may or may not grade higher than 8.5.

i hold the book and feel what the grade is. then i look it to place back in the mylar.

Looks like we have several Zen graders on the boards. (thumbs u

I've been waiting for someone to say - I put the comic in a mylar sleeve with a fullback, then place it between two pieces of heavy cardboard and mail it to Sarasota Florida with some paperwork and money. After that, I wait a few weeks, then I receive the book back in a plastic case with a number on it. That number is the grade I give it. For example, if the number is 9.0, I would grade the book VF/NM.

My current protocol....

Remove the book from Mylar

Scan front & back cover at 120%

Look over the scans making mental note of any/all defects

Take book in hand & tilt under the light to check for NCB creases, surface imperfections, etc..

Place book back in mylar & give it a gut-shot grade :acclaim:

In reverse order, that's how I grade, too.

I assess the initial impression of the book...

Remove from bag...

Re-assess the book by feel and gloss...

View front and rear surface from every possible angle...

Inspect interior, count pages...

Assign grade.

Initial impression (interior defects aside) is generally within two points of final grade.