• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matthew (shiverbones) does it again!

30 posts in this topic

Ok. I want to be honest here. Normally I wouldn't say anything but you posted here so it seems like fair game. Is there something weird about her nose or right eye? It just seems "off." I'm a big fan of Matthew's work but something is amiss.

Ok. I want to be honest here. Normally I wouldn't say anything but you posted here so it seems like fair game. Is there something weird about her nose or right eye? It just seems "off." I'm a big fan of Matthew's work but something is amiss.

Her face is fine, What you are noticing is the way her hair sits on her skull/head.

Excuse me Matthew, I am not ripping on this illustration; you are a very talented

artist, and I admire your work. Just clearing up a observation by Transplant.

I think one eye may be slightly off, but I think the nose is ok. It's REALLY hard for me to do an exact likeness, since it's not what I do. I tried harder to get the feel of Bettie down more than the exact specifics. If I was hung up too much on perfect proportion, I would have lost the spark of her personality. For artists who specialize in portraits or likenesses, they certainly could have done it better, but I did what I could to convey Bettie.

Oh, and yes it's watercolor over ink.

Spoon on a stick just would have made no sense so I employed my middle name for a little humour. :grin:

You know I'm all for keeping offensive words from presenting themselves starkly on our computer screens but when they all get blunted into spoon when you are trying to convey something specific it only encourages "creativity" to transmit a message to your fellow posters that already know all these words, including the youngest of us.

I'm not trying to circumvent the system and what it is trying to to but rather pointing out where it is failing.

If it did unique word substitution rather than just spoon for everything it would be far more effective and user friendly.

Art truly is the last bastion of freedom of expression and it clearly deserves all the support it gets (thumbs u