• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Y: The Last Man director reveals movie details

7 posts in this topic

Exclusive: D.J. Caruso Reveals Y: The Last Man Story Details

September 22, 2008

by Alex Billington

Over the weekend I had the chance to catch up with director D.J. Caruso in order to chat about his upcoming film Eagle Eye (that full interview will be up in the next few days). I wanted to make sure to get an update from him on Y: The Last Man, his passion project comic book film about a boy named Yorick who suddenly becomes the only male left alive on Earth. He's mentioned before that Warner Brothers wants to turn this into one of their big 2010 movies, since they're in need of some, but we've been waiting to hear more details, including what they might change in order to turn the comic book series into one (for now) all-encompassing movie. Caruso exclusively revealed to us what his "big change" in the plot will be.

Caruso said that he turned in the -script to New Line last week and is working on tweaking it over the next month. "It's my job to get the -script right first, and once we get the -script right, which we're getting close, it could potentially be the next movie," he explained. The comic series, which began in 2002 and just wrapped up with its final issue this January, spans a total of 60 issues. A story that vast obviously won't fit into one movie. "If you know the series at all, it's a lot to choose from… You want to make a movie that stands alone, but I keep telling them I can't fit it all into one movie. God willing if it's successful enough, there has to be another movie." Caruso briefly explains how the story in the first film plays out.

"Initially it'll open very similar to what you know in the opening book basically, with Yorick and Beth. And ultimately when it all goes down, we jump to 6 or 8 weeks later, and sort of take that world there. In the montage of when it's all happening, we do see what happens in China, we do have little vignettes of things that are happening all over the world. And then from that point on, in the first movie, it then stays in Yorick's journey to get to — with 355 as they try get across — and find the doctor and losing Ampersand… It's global in that you see what happens, but it doesn't go out and further."

It sounds like at one point Caruso really wanted to talk more about what happens in it, but has to stop himself. However, when we started talking more about the comic and fans, he mentioned one of the big changes that they've made. "One big change is that we put in a 'ticking clock' with Yorick and Ampersand, and I separated them, and Yorick starts to get a little sick when Ampersand's not with him. I felt like we needed some kind of ticking clock so it wasn't just a boy and his monkey." Sound a bit like Spielberg's E.T.? Caruso added that Brian K. Vaughan, the author of the comic, has been helping out a lot. And as for the aforementioned big change — "Brian loved that. So it's good to hear that the creator loved that."

Caruso's Eagle Eye debuts this weekend and once things start to settle down, he'll be working on Y: The Last Man again. "In another month or so it should be ready." It's one of the projects that I've been anxious to see come together. I just hope Warner Brothers understands this adaptation's potential and doesn't let it slip by as a small project. That's why I asked Caruso about how global it would be - to get a feeling for whether WB wanted to give this the budget that it really needs. The first draft of the screenplay was submitted and he's already got notes and is tweaking it, let's just hope he can polish it quickly enough.

:banana:

I'm already chomping at the bit for this one. Early rumors have it that Shia Lebeouf will play Yorick, and Alecia Keys might play 355.

Why does Shia Lebeouf exist?

If he really is cast, that will drop it right down to netflix for me.

I'm already chomping at the bit for this one. Early rumors have it that Shia Lebeouf will play Yorick, and Alecia Keys might play 355.

No love for Shia? :o

He is one of the very, very few actors under the age of 30 that I like at all. :sumo:

No love for Shia? :o

He is one of the very, very few actors under the age of 30 that I like at all. :sumo:

Agreed, but he is strangely ubiquitous.