• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 76 PRICE VARIANT

34 posts in this topic

news.gif book will be listed on eBay 11.20.03 at 3:15 pm PST along with the RAW ASM's. If you don't know the story behind this book, it's a price variant right before marvel changed it's price from 10 cents to 12 cents. the original copies have the 10 cent price, then some were called back and repriced as 12 cents. the black circle on the upper top left corner is where the 10 cent price has been blacked out. if you hold the book to the light you can actually still see the 10 cent price. 893whatthe.gif this is the third price variant i've owned, this being the second highest grade of the three. i sold my VF/NM 9.0 copy on eBay right before OS listed the book as a price variant. mad.gif893frustrated.gifmakepoint.gifforeheadslap.gif comiclink recently sold a copy, metropolis has a VG/FN for $275(no offence stephen). blush.gif book has off-WHITE pages with art by kirby and ditko. gossip.gif

315345-jim76i.jpg

315345-jim76b.jpg

315345-jim76b.jpg.9194c3b789576cca23f123dd794d789f.jpg

..so the distributor, or Marvel black markered it out? and re-sent it out?.. what was the price when it was sent out for sale again?? More history/info please... just curious confused-smiley-013.gif (I may need to add it, and others like it to my "variant pull down" list on my website)

..so the distributor, or Marvel black markered it out? and re-sent it out?.. what was the price when it was sent out for sale again?? More history/info please... just curious confused-smiley-013.gif (I may need to add it, and others like it to my "variant pull down" list on my website)

i'm pretty sure it was the distrubitor/printer that did it. the 10 cent price circle is perfectly blacked out with the 12 cent price added on the letter "M" of mystery. gossip.gif BTW, the story "the genie with the light brown hair" is REALLY good. cloud9.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

Price Variants.

"No Trace of the Lower Price" / Tom Lammers. p. 70 in Comic

Book Marketplace, v. 2, no. 62 (Aug. 1998). -- (Marketplace

Mail) -- Letter on price variants in the Marvel 10-12 cent

transition in 1962. -- Call no.: PN6714.C632v.2no.62

per OS guide:

[*]STT 92 last 10 cent issue

[*]TOS 25 last 10 cent issue

[*]KID COLT 102 last 10 cent issue

[*]MILLIE 106 no mention in OS

[*]LOVE ROMANCE 97 no mention in OS, but says LOVE ROMANCE 95 last 10 cent?

[*]TEEN-AGE ROMANCES 85 no mention in OS

[*]LINDA CARTER 3 no mention is OS

You want to hear something even stranger?

I always though the variant to the Journey into Mystery was supposed to have the 12-cents in the original White Circle, and not as a blackout....

In fact, I have a few scans of the variant issue as offered for sale....

Yeah, I think I'm getting mixed up with some others, as there was no 10-cent issue for that JIM. It seems that Marvel stopped the initial run, blacked it out, and then printed the rest standard 12-cents.

So these really aren't price variants, as much as printing variants....

And any comic from January 1962 that has a 12-cent cover price likely has a printing variant as well.

news.gif POST #6000! news.gif maybe, but i've seen 10 cent copies, 12 cent where the circle is copies, but this copy is the rare variant copy. i remember back in 1991 when i was at my local comic shop, and the owner had a copy of JIM 76 in VF/NM and JIM 78 VG/FN(dr. strange prototype) for $1.25 each! i quickly snatched them up and went home to observe my new oldies but goldies. i was looking at the JIM 76 and wondering why the price circle was blacked out? but i sold that copy on eBay right before the OS listed it as a prive variant and took a HUGE jump in price......but you know the story already. sorry.gifmad.giffrown.gifconfused.gif893frustrated.gifmakepoint.gifforeheadslap.gif