• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration Problems

12 posts in this topic

Hello, I really enjoy this board, and have gained alot of insight on this hobby.I was hoping someone out there could help direct me to some info. I remember some time back reading some posts about some problems at CGC, and at PGX. I thought it was about some alleged restoration fraud from a dealer called comic-keys. Also there were some posts on a seller named terrance leeder. I think that was the name although the spelling could be wrong. Can anyone direct me to the story or post about this stuff. thanks to anyone in advance.

drx

There are so many. You really should learn to use the search function...it's a terrific tool.

The name is Terence Leder BTW.

Grab a drink or a snack and read away...

Here's a thread I started on helpful search hints.

Go grab a Keg plus War and Peace.... Your going to be reading a long while. I had it out with Danny"The Hammer" Dupcak{comic-keys} as Stout1 on these boards. I ended up with a Nice PGX GSXM 1 White Pages 9.8... I Know, I know.. It's PGX. But the book is un restored. It would also grade higher with The CGC I believe..

O.K. thanks for the info. With all this stuff going on with restoration, it really makes me leary to fork down some big money for a book thats unslabbed. You just dont know what your'e getting unless your a detection expert, which I am not. I was wondering was anyone at the CHICAGO CON. Had a real good time and so did my daughter. There didnt seem to be a real big selection of Marvels out there to me.It seemed to be slim pickings. I did pick up a DAREDEVIL # 5 though from Motor City in NM-. Real nice copy. Only need a #16 and a # 7 to complete 1 -50

in my run. Thanks for the help and the info.

drx

There are so many. You really should learn to use the search function...it's a terrific tool.

Roy, I read through the post - just wanted to ask what led you to include "" as a valid search operator? Quotes ( "keyword1 keyword2" ) are usually used when more than one keyword is used to create a keyphrase. No search operators have ever worked on these boards for as long as I have been a member.

Roy, I read through the post - just wanted to ask what led you to include "" as a valid search operator? Quotes ( "keyword1 keyword2" ) are usually used when more than one keyword is used to create a keyphrase. No search operators have ever worked on these boards for as long as I have been a member.

comicwiz - The way I read Roy's post about searching with "" can be best illustrated with an example; if you search all forums over the past 5 years for "super rare comic" you'll get only 5 matches, since there are only 5 results that include this exact phrase... however, if you search for these 3 words without the quotes, you'll get 40 pages of results. Similarly, if you search for these 3 words, with the "+" in front of them, you'll get 18 pages of results... In summary, use of the quotes in a search appears to have worked for me, but maybe I've misunderstood your question...

comicwiz - The way I read Roy's post about searching with "" can be best illustrated with an example; if you search all forums over the past 5 years for "super rare comic" you'll get only 5 matches, since there are only 5 results that include this exact phrase... however, if you search for these 3 words without the quotes, you'll get 40 pages of results. Similarly, if you search for these 3 words, with the "+" in front of them, you'll get 18 pages of results... Does this answer your question?

Interesting. I tried the keyphrase "super rare comic" and the results matched what you said. This is something I have never had work for me in the past so maybe this is a recent fix. :)

comicwiz - The way I read Roy's post about searching with "" can be best illustrated with an example; if you search all forums over the past 5 years for "super rare comic" you'll get only 5 matches, since there are only 5 results that include this exact phrase... however, if you search for these 3 words without the quotes, you'll get 40 pages of results. Similarly, if you search for these 3 words, with the "+" in front of them, you'll get 18 pages of results... Does this answer your question?

Interesting. I tried the keyphrase "super rare comic" and the results matched what you said. This is something I have never had work for me before so maybe this is a recent fix. However, this seems to be hit and miss as I ran a random search for "zap comix" and "zap comix 1" and it produced irrelevant results for whatever time range I chose (1 week to 3 years). Search operators should not produce hit and miss results like this - I have never found this boards search function to be reliable with any search operators and my pointing it out was more about warning others to not spread these techniques around as being helpful.

When I searched all forums for "zap comix" from the past 5 years, I got 11 pages of results, while I get 2 pages when I search for "zap comix 1" from the past 5 years. I sampled the resulting pages that were returned, doing a control F to find e.g. zap comix 1 and in each case, it was in the page. I'm not sure what you mean by irrelevant results - please explain...

Interesting. I tried the keyphrase "super rare comic" and the results matched what you said. This is something I have never had work for me before so maybe this is a recent fix. However, this seems to be hit and miss as I ran a random search for "zap comix" and "zap comix 1" and it produced irrelevant results for whatever time range I chose (1 week to 3 years). Search operators should not produce hit and miss results like this - I have never found this boards search function to be reliable with any search operators and my pointing it out was more about warning others to not spread these techniques around as being helpful.

When I searched all forums for "zap comix" from the past 5 years, I got 11 pages of results, while I get 2 pages when I search for "zap comix 1" from the past 5 years. I sampled the resulting pages that were returned, doing a control F to find e.g. zap comix 1 and in each case, it was in the page. I'm not sure what you mean by irrelevant results - please explain...

I modified my response since you quoted it - its great that it works and this is news to me because for as long as I've been a member, search operators didn't work with the search function.