• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who buys from Chuck?

60 posts in this topic

The picture of Chuck thread brought up a question that has been nagging me in the last couple of weeks. Somehow in the last month or two I ended up on his mailing list.

I find some of the emails amusing but he keeps going on and on about great sales he is having with his discounted structure over the last month. I just go to his website to check out the deals and I am really not struck at how all these people are flocking to his site. So whats the deal, do you order? who is ordering?

I guess he's handy if you just want a particular reading copy of a bronze to modern book and can't find it at your LCS.

In the UK we call him 'silveracre', and I have been known to patronize the establishment :insane:

Found this juxtaposition appropriate:

chuckup.jpg

I used to buy big copper/modern runs from him when they were in the $1-$2 range...

I've tried to order higher grade/value books from him several times also, but every time, I got burned. Most notably on a Magnus #64 NM that had a big slice in the cover... not through the bag... just the cover. Not that it was high-value or anything... but pretty sure that NM does not allow the front cover to be sliced open.

They DO always offer refunds if I'm unsatisfied with anything tho. I'll give them that!

I've bought from him multiple times. As long as you stick to cheap dollar books, you're not going to be so disappointed. I usually just buy cheap copper horror from him.

The service is second to none, but the grading is a pretty big miss a lot of the time. You wouldn't want to buy anything from him if you were looking for flawless books. You might get them, you might not.

The Glendale Mile High shop is about a mile from my house, so I buy from Chuck. It's my LCS. :)

I do order from there from time to time, too. But what I do is order 2-3 copies of each issue, have them shipped to the store, and then I pick the one that actually looks NM. If there aren't any, I just don't buy them.

Of course, most of the books I buy are $3 or less, so take that for what it's worth.

I think a lot of people buy from Chuck. He has a nice business model. He sells high and buys cheap. He figures every comic is saleable at a certain price so he buys the slow moving stuff from every area he visits and sells them on his site.

Technically his potential customer base is huge since he sells over the internet (aka the world).

A local comic board (here in the Philippines) even mentions Mile High as a good source for hard to find books.

I haven't bought from Chuck for a number of years after being a pretty faithful customer for over a decade. There's just a point where the problems outweigh the benefits of using them.

One other problem I have with his website is the way he manipulates his prices before having sales. So despite the illusion of 60-80% off, on some issues you're paying equal to or more than the week before because he's hiked the base prices on those comics before activating the sale. Pretty shady in my opinion...

Jim

I've bought books from MH before. I would buy from Chuck in 2 instances:

1) I'm looking for random cheap SA / BA / CA books and Chuck's inventory is so large that I can shop in one location and save on shipping even though I pay more for the books and

2) I check his GA listings once in a while ... but then I look for the same book on his eBay Store and generally the book is available for cheaper on the eBay Store than on the main site plus shipping is also faster and cheaper. (thumbs u

So despite the illusion of 60-80% off, on some issues you're paying equal to or more than the week before because he's hiked the base prices on those comics before activating the sale. Pretty shady in my opinion...

Oldest trick in the book...

Yep...and pretty transparent when a con dealer is doing it...but very obvious from an Internet dealer who literally begs for people to browse his website...

Jim

One other problem I have with his website is the way he manipulates his prices before having sales. So despite the illusion of 60-80% off, on some issues you're paying equal to or more than the week before because he's hiked the base prices on those comics before activating the sale. Pretty shady in my opinion...

Jim

100% true. And pretty sickening. :sick:

Jim

100% true. And pretty sickening. :sick:

What reallt grates is that he actually thinks we're dumb enough to be taken in by it! doh!

His marketing, and market perception is still locked into when he picked up the MH collection.

But reality is that he is millions miles away from being the guy holding all the chips these days....and he doesn't even know it by the way he carries on doh!

I don't. I find he is overpriced and just not worth it. I also don't like ebay sellers that use the same picture over and over for the book but has a entry saying this is not the book pictured you will be getting. BIg companies online on ebay I stay away from since I am usually unhappy with what I get. 99.99999999999999% usually overgraded too.