• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Charity Auction! Cover recreation of Batman 608 RRP by our own Dadaist!

52 posts in this topic

THIS IS A GREAT PIECE OF WORK JOE. I HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE SUCH A TRIMPE FAN . AFTER READING THE ARTICLE I REALISE NOW WHY YOU DID THE WORK. WELL YOU HAVE OUR FULL SUPPORT AND I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE COVER TO AVENGERS #4 YOUR DOING (HINT HINT ) grin.gif

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND THANKS FOR BIDDING EVERYONE

THIS IS A GREAT PIECE OF WORK JOE. I HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE SUCH A TRIMPE FAN . AFTER READING THE ARTICLE I REALISE NOW WHY YOU DID THE WORK. WELL YOU HAVE OUR FULL SUPPORT AND I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE COVER TO AVENGERS #4 YOUR DOING (HINT HINT ) grin.gif

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND THANKS FOR BIDDING EVERYONE

sign-offtopic.gifStop SHOUTING.....and give me some info on my books. sumo.gif:

I actually emailed someone who worked in comics. It might have been Tom Brevoort. I asked him what the legal issue is when it comes to taking a DC or Marvel character and drawing them, and then selling them on ebay. The reason I asked is becasue there was one that was drawn but what looked like a 5 year old on ebay of Iron Man that sold for a couple bucks. But then I recalled a Wizard I had in which people were drawing character like Super Girl and they were selling for $75 and in some cases the $100's for work by amatures who have no association with Marvel or DC. And to tell you the truth I don't remember what he told me...but I think it was pretty much not a top priority to go after someone for using copyrighted characters as it would cost money in legal fees and wouldn't be worth teh time and effort.

March 22: Contacted or attempted to contact the art department heads at four schools -- Marist, Bard, Vassar and SUNY, New Paltz. Things slid downhill in the afternoon; got real depressed. Then I got a rejection from King Features. That makes three to go. Saw the comet on the way to Kingston.

Sadly several years ago I could have taken a non credit class comic drawing class when I was in high school with Herb through Ulster County Community College. If I didn't already know that I couldn't draw for spit I would have done it. I did think it would be cool to take a class under the guy who drew Hulk 181. 893whatthe.gif. (This was before the days of CGC and the insane prices of the book). I know he is still in the area. As of last spring he was teaching some classes at Sullivan Community College. Here's a local newspaper article he was interviewed for when the Hulk moive came out.

Here's a post to an article in the local paper in which Trimpe talks about the Hulk movie.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/forum2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5108&SearchTerms=hulk,movie,trimpe

There are a bunch of other people that live in this county. My English Professor used to work with Jim Starlin at a volunteer place for kids a few years back. I'm not sure if he's still in the area. Dave Cockrum is still around here he was interviewed for an article when the X-Men 2 movie came out. Even with Cockrum, Sinnott, Trimpe and a few others who escape my memomry living in the area there are no longer any small comic cons. 893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif. And there did used to be a few that people like Cockrum would attend and sign. Worst of all the comic shop that is mentioned in the news article (October Country) is the only store within 45 minutes that has anything decent....but they don't put boards in the majority of back issues anymore. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I actually emailed someone who worked in comics. It might have been Tom Brevoort. I asked him what the legal issue is when it comes to taking a DC or Marvel character and drawing them, and then selling them on ebay. The reason I asked is becasue there was one that was drawn but what looked like a 5 year old on ebay of Iron Man that sold for a couple bucks. But then I recalled a Wizard I had in which people were drawing character like Super Girl and they were selling for $75 and in some cases the $100's for work by amatures who have no association with Marvel or DC. And to tell you the truth I don't remember what he told me...but I think it was pretty much not a top priority to go after someone for using copyrighted characters as it would cost money in legal fees and wouldn't be worth teh time and effort.

Since it's a trademark and copyright issue, I think they tend to look the other way for small things although they're forced to act if it becomes a big issue or becomes too "public." They must defend their trademark and intellectual property or lose it.

Is there any way I can bid without registering for the site?

Hey Brian

Unfortunately, there is no way of participating in the auction unless you register. Registration takes a few minutes, and remember that its for a good cause.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Since it's a trademark and copyright issue, I think they tend to look the other way for small things although they're forced to act if it becomes a big issue or becomes too "public." They must defend their trademark and intellectual property or lose it.

It wasn't until Hell Comics decided to use Disney's Mickey Mouse character in a comic called Mickey Mouse meets the Air Pirates, that Disney decided to file their landmark and precendent setting lawsuit. I'm not certain that Disney's reasons for launching the suit were motivated solely by the monetary side of the endeavour; rather, it was because O'Niel's and Londons recreations of the character was placing a cultural icon as a bandit/pirate, making off with stashes of drugs in an airplane (classic front cover). In fact, there were many other really crude and offensive situations within the comic which went against Mickey's "for the children" characterization, which, if not by design, was certainly damaging the reputation of a character which was originally intended for a younger audience. In situations like this, the courts would side with the intellectual property owners, and as sckao points out, intellectual property owners must defend infringement counts on grounds that they might otherwise lose them.

Sorry Dave.

I've decide to pull this auction, and donate the highest bid amount (US $100) to ACTOR out of my own pocket.

Thanks to all who have participated.

I'm done here.

What happened? confused.gif

Ask sckao, I'm sure he feels a great sense of accomplishment. sumo.gif

What happened? confused.gif

The criticism is getting out of hand around here is what happened...potential new forum members assailed before hardly setting foot in here...newbies showing up in order to defend themselves...and now a charitable auction pulled due to another board members' criticism? I get the feeling we're seeing the "maturing" of a message board with the established board members setting up a default "boys club", and outsiders not feeling welcome. Perhaps the "...reprobates are running the asylum..."?!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think everyone needs to lighten up and cut down on the negativity towards others (in the generic sense, as well as in the specific sense of other board members). With that...time to shock the world with some kudos in the marketplace thread!! 893whatthe.gif