• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Charity Auction! Cover recreation of Batman 608 RRP by our own Dadaist!

52 posts in this topic

What happened? confused.gif

The criticism is getting out of hand around here is what happened...potential new forum members assailed before hardly setting foot in here...newbies showing up in order to defend themselves...and now a charitable auction pulled due to another board members' criticism? I get the feeling we're seeing the "maturing" of a message board with the established board members setting up a default "boys club", and outsiders not feeling welcome. Perhaps the "...reprobates are running the asylum..."?!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think everyone needs to lighten up and cut down on the negativity towards others (in the generic sense, as well as in the specific sense of other board members). With that...time to shock the world with some kudos in the marketplace thread!! 893whatthe.gif

This is exactly what I was trying to say in that shill thread I started a few weeks ago. And although quite a few forum members supported what I was saying, I got a number of PM's telling me to stop acting superior. 893blahblah.gif

Apparently, having a personal standard and expectation of mutual respect is too much to ask from certain people.

The criticism is getting out of hand around here is what happened...potential new forum members assailed before hardly setting foot in here...newbies showing up in order to defend themselves...and now a charitable auction pulled due to another board members' criticism? I get the feeling we're seeing the "maturing" of a message board with the established board members setting up a default "boys club", and outsiders not feeling welcome. Perhaps the "...reprobates are running the asylum..."?!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think everyone needs to lighten up and cut down on the negativity towards others (in the generic sense, as well as in the specific sense of other board members). With that...time to shock the world with some kudos in the marketplace thread!! 893whatthe.gif

This is exactly what I was trying to say in that shill thread I started a few weeks ago. And although quite a few forum members supported what I was saying, I got a number of PM's telling me to stop acting superior . 893blahblah.gif

Apparently, having a personal standard and expectation of mutual respect is too much to ask from certain people.

NAME NAMES......

devil.gif

Sorry Dave.

I've decide to pull this auction, and donate the highest bid amount (US $100) to ACTOR out of my own pocket.

Thanks to all who have participated.

I'm done here.

Ask sckao, I'm sure he feels a great sense of accomplishment. sumo.gif

Well, I do and I don't. I'm glad this situation is settled, however.

I think a lot of the personal attacks and censored swear words were unnecessary though. A lot of people get strikes or are banned for much less.

I've tried to be reasonable here and on the Original Art Appreciation Thread though. If not, then I apologize.

This is unbelievable!!!

If its attention you were seeking sckao, then you should be glad because you accomplished what you set out to do. You ruined a charity auction. Unfortunately, you did it in a rather appalling manner. And the only thing that really got settled is that you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. mad.gif

This is exactly what I was trying to say in that shill thread I started a few weeks ago. And although quite a few forum members supported what I was saying, I got a number of PM's telling me to stop acting superior. 893blahblah.gif

Very well put Mike and Andrew. I'm in full agreement and would add this as well...

I used to enjoy participating on this board a great deal. It "was" an enjoyable place for me visit to escape the real world and chat about comics and related topics whether my views were shared or disagreed with. For the most part, a reasonable amount of courtesy was present and shown to both regulars and newcomers alike. Just as important IMHO... tolerance and acceptance of our differences, preferences, likes, dislikes, etc. was also at a much higher level and a shared goal of "getting along" and being positive seemed to be present.

Aside from an expected number of personality conflicts that are bound to happen and the occasional flame war, there was a much more productive and enjoyable mood here IMHO. I may be mistaken, but I recall that much of the conflicts revolved around Hammer/fraud, etc. There was not as much internal bickering, judgmental attitudes, desire to be cynical/negative, and such.

This is only my opinion, but there are a few trends I've noticed that have contributed to my impressions above...or maybe some have really been here all along and I'm just now noticing it fully. Either way, I think there has been a increase in....

1. comments made to "stir things up" or "start an argument" just for entertainment value as opposed to seeking a productive result (that's less entertaining).

2. instigating/supporting arising conflicts for the same reason... that may not have reached the extremes they did otherwise. Like a fight at the school playground with everyone chanting "fight, fight"... but we use popcorn graphics instead.

3. the idea that one's opinion on certain topics, because it may be shared by the majority of board members, is "fact" that entitles those to insult, mock, label, etc. those that disagree or are happy with their choices. It is possible that there are those that see beauty in a miswrapped comic and buy them for the "right reasons" (even though most of us here avoid them). It is possible that some don't care about cream pages, date stamps on the cover, etc. and those books are not POS to them. Where's the tolerance? Why can't people say the book is not for them because of their collecting preference... and not "bag on it" to the extreme or a person who might like it?

4. herd mentality in respects to the acceptance of openly deciding/judging the motivations of others without much to back it up other than a hunch, personal dislike, someone else said it first, or various agendas.

5. a need to "win" a debate rather than have an open mind and see where it goes. Its OK to be wrong or to have people disagree with you, the key is to speak to the person as if their view is not idiotic (even if it is) and not make the disagreement personal in any way. A little PC never hurts. I have to wonder sometimes if a public forum is really the best venue for some personality types to discuss certain issues. Everybody's watching, so you have to perform well or look foolish. So to heck with the actual discussion, just make sure you sound good and get in your shots. I've had better conversations via PM in some instances where "exploring the topic was the goal" and with no one watching, the other's true views were expressed without having to put on a show. I've also noticed some don't want to communicate via PM about certain topics... and I have to wonder if its because no one else is there to absorb the brilliance of their statements.

For clarity's sake, I'm hardly preaching from an ivory tower and saying I haven't "sinned" too. I have lost my cool as well and felt like crud afterwards for lowering myself, but I sure try not to... and I feel as if I'm much more of a positive influence here, than negative. I hope the mood of this board changes back towards the more positive and respectful levels I feel it used to have. Not that anyone cares, but my participation here will be limited until it feels "fun" to come here again.

Thanks for listening. hi.gif

ps... Joseph, I think your cover recreation was awesome and more importantly "the GESTURE and time invested" was far above the call of duty. I don't think people realize how much time that must have taken. I'll add $25 to the cause in your name.

This is unbelievable!!!

If its attention you were seeking sckao, then you should be glad because you accomplished what you set out to do. You ruined a charity auction. Unfortunately, you did it in a rather appalling manner. And the only thing that really got settled is that you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. mad.gif

Why is sckao an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? He expressed his opinion and tried to be non confrontational about it, and made some good points. Dadaist pulled the auction, but was certainly not forced to. It almost seemed like he wanted to punish sckao for his views and pulled the auction to get everybody riled up about it.

What if Dadaist decided to take his "recreation" and put it on posters and T-shirts to sell on Ebay? Would it still be ok to use an image that was created by someone else and profit from it? I don't really care what dadaist does with his art, but it is a gray area for sure.

Why is sckao an insufficiently_thoughtful_person?

I'm not sure. Why don't you ask him yourself?

I will add that his actions here were nothing more than a self-serving campaign of harrassment. He chose a good intentioned charity fundraising event as his platform for advocacy over artists rights? Hassling a forum member, questioning his techniques and ethics, when all dadaist wanted to do is raise money for a charity?

If sckao really was looking after artists, his time and energy would have been better spent petitioning outside of Marvel/DC hq's. Putting together a petition. I think sckao has a website too. I don't know. How about an idea like getting comic publishers and charities to raise some money to build and manage a comic artists academy. A place where semi-retired and retired artists, can guide young and aspiring artists through formal training. A place where artists, who might otherwise feel old and useless, might regain their self-worth and dignity. A place where they may feel wanted, and might hear verbal encouragement from their students that they really are great artists. I don't know for sure, but my feeling is that money isn't everything for retired artists who at one time felt like they were making a valuable contribution to society, and were doing rewarding work.

My opinions of sckao were not meant for debate. To sabotage a charity auction with grandoise public statements, accuse dadaist of cheating, and questioning his techniques and ethics leave no question in my mind that sckao is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. A lot of this probably could have been resolved through PM's. And then to somehow try to make up for it by donating his comics, and initiate an artist competition for charity... I say, too little, too late.