• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water damaged comic and possible mold/mildew contamination...

31 posts in this topic

There's old comic smell and then there's musty. Any mold is a bad thing. Spores go into hibernation when dry but they don't die...and spores can contaminate.

Do you think contamination can happen between Mylars?

Anything I have read about mold/mildew contaminated books state that they should be stored away from your other comics. While I am making light of my situtation, it is not a laughing matter. If you have suspect books you should never store them with your other books.

I just with they had a some type of testing strip to see if there was mold/mildew present. Why don't they have that?

Yea, I'm still unsure about when mold/mildew is present vs just a plain smelly book. If you don't see warping or any indication of wetness or mold then I have no clue.

That is one of my initial questions. My first encounter with contaminated books was that some of the comics had rusty staples. I noticed that first and the smell even while faint had a vingery sour smell. My books now I think I detect that note but I am not sure if I am being cynical about the books because of the water damage. I would suggest that you bring couple of books that you believe may be infested to your LCS. They should know right off the bat.

Does water damage = mold/mildew? Anyone? I really have no experience with water damage. Thank you,

You can have water damage without mold but a smell indicates decay and mold spores can be present without easily visible trace. If you wave a moldy book around, you can release mold spores into the air -- therefore keep moldy or suspect books (if you must keep them) away from your other books. Though mold won't grow without moisture, why take unnecessary chances?

Does water damage = mold/mildew? Anyone? I really have no experience with water damage. Thank you,

You can have water damage without mold but a smell indicates decay and mold spores can be present without easily visible trace. If you wave a moldy book around, you can release mold spores into the air -- therefore keep moldy or suspect books (if you must keep them) away from your other books. Though mold won't grow without moisture, why take unnecessary chances?

Thank you for the answer. I'll try not to wave them at anyone, unless they get me angry. :mad:

Seriously, I am not too sure because I did not get an allergy reaction to these books like I did with the other books that definitely had spores. But I agree that the odor indicates something is wrong. I am just going to keep them tucked away from my other books and replace them with non-stinky books when I can afford to do so.

I am conducting an experiment on my musty possibly moldy books based on my reading of thread

I am going to see if baking soda will mellow out the smell a bit. So here's what I have done.

1) Taken a non-smelly cardboard box that's not too deep and sealed off the bottom with tape

3) Put half a box of Baking Soda on the bottom of the box so there is a thin layer

4) To suspend the comics above the baking soda I am using a cookie sheet that fits very snug but as a precaution I fashioned some cardboard pegs for it to rest on.

5) I placed 3 comics on the rack but they are overlapping.

6) Sealed the top of the box and put it in a plastic bag.

I was not sure how much baking soda to use and after sealing up the box, I have a feeling that I should have used the whole box. Also, think that I should only put in one book at a time. But I have about 15 comics to get through so I figured on going for broke the first time around.

I think someone mentioned a time period of 24 hours but I am going to keep mine sealed for 48 hours. I'll post back my results.

Does anyone have any experience with water damage comics?

I actually have a store full of experience!

If you want to come by, the dumpster will be full of possible subjects for your experiments either tomorrow or Wednesday.

And the mold is already included (in beautiful shades of green and orange)! (thumbs u

If you want to come by, the dumpster will be full of possible subjects for your experiments either tomorrow or Wednesday.

And the mold is already included (in beautiful shades of green and orange)! (thumbs u

:cry:

:cry:

It's actually kinda cool to see a long box soak up so much water that the books pop out of both ends. Then the mold starts growing and covers the whole thing.

Blooming comics!

In reality, it is only cool if there is insurance money to cover it. ;)

I guess by now I have to go dumpster diving. ;)

I did not want to start a new thread since this may be on topic.

I just got in a new set of comics (some to replace the bad ones). They are bagged with the board in the middle of the comics so you can see front and back through the bag. Is this a safe way to board comics?

Anyway, one of the comics has a brown stain on the back. There is no musty or foul odor but I wonder if this is possible mold. Does this fall under foxing or is it just a stain and I should not worry about it affecting my other books?

Thank you for your help.

Batman_317_b.jpg

I did not want to start a new thread since this may be on topic.

I just got in a new set of comics (some to replace the bad ones). They are bagged with the board in the middle of the comics so you can see front and back through the bag. Is this a safe way to board comics?

Anyway, one of the comics has a brown stain on the back. There is no musty or foul odor but I wonder if this is possible mold. Does this fall under foxing or is it just a stain and I should not worry about it affecting my other books?

Thank you for your help.

Batman_317_b.jpg

Looks like foxing which usually doesn't smell and is not harmful to the comic once you put it into proper storage conditions, just ugly.

Looks like foxing which usually doesn't smell and is not harmful to the comic once you put it into proper storage conditions, just ugly.

Thank you. That's what it looks like to me. I have gotten a few comics from this seller and that is the only one that has the foxing. Athough, I wish he would have mentioned the foxing since he did take the time and re-grade the books after I placed my order.