• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The $1 million AF #15 and the most Valuable Comic in the world

Most Valuable Comic  

537 members have voted

1. 1. Most Valuable Comic

222 posts in this topic

(thumbs u I like CGC. Good service, good company. But that book does not need ANYONE to say what it is. Only person I would allow to touch the book would be Susan to make sure the book is being cared for properly, and make sure it lasts the next century.

I highly doubt the CGC co. will ever be offered the option. Slabbing that book is just such a poor idea. Imagine buying it and cracking it out. Most expensive Whoops ever. IF it ever sells, it will be raw.

I quite agree. Which makes me wonder again, why did Verzyl have this done?:

aa16_book_lg.jpg

:o I have to go clean myself now...

I would be scared to DEATH to crack that out.

The buyers with enough money to afford these books are not always comic people. They need the security of the professional grade. That 9.4 All American is worth much more on the open market slabbed 9.4, than unslabbed "we call it a Near Mint, so go ahead and fork over $250K on my opinion". You purists and idealists can disagree, but a CGC verification makes a difference and a big one at auction. Would you bet $1 million that the Action #1 Mile High has not been color touched or perhaps has a "very minor amount of glue on the cover" as has happened with other Mile High's???

I love Spidey... but there's no way AF 15 will ever, ever top Action 1 let alone Tec 27. When we're looking at those giants, being in 3rd place isn't so bad. :shrug:

I voted for the AF 15. My argument is Superman is getting the Tarzan/Lone Ranger disease. what is Tarzan/Lone Ranger disease? its a comic character that was very popular for his time and generation that has now faded. Superman populararity has declined and will continue to decline as the times have changed and his fanbase is dying off. one of the main reasons Superman had failed with the younger audience is his appearance looks stupid to them. a man wearing long underwear? It looks good in the comics and animation but it looked absolutely ridiculous in the latest movies. also he is boring to the modern generation. He will always win no matter what because he is Superman. the biggest reason might be the copyright reason, this will be in big play down the line when Warner will not promote Superman like they do the Batman now. Don`t ever underestimate promotion. that will make or break a product as Alan Moore should know. Please don`t get me wrong, I am a big Superman fan especially the George Reeves TV show. I am just giving my argument has to why AF 15 the first appearance of Spider-man will one day rule the nest.

The buyers with enough money to afford these books are not always comic people. They need the security of the professional grade. That 9.4 All American is worth much more on the open market slabbed 9.4, than unslabbed "we call it a Near Mint, so go ahead and fork over $250K on my opinion". You purists and idealists can disagree, but a CGC verification makes a difference and a big one at auction. Would you bet $1 million that the Action #1 Mile High has not been color touched or perhaps has a "very minor amount of glue on the cover" as has happened with other Mile High's???

Hence a possible trip to susan. And honestly, a deal like this would be made in person. And if you are willing to fork over a Million plus, know what you are buying. I HIGHLY doubt these collectors need CGC's opinion. As stated CGC is a good tool for buyers and sellers. But is NOT the final word. I would trust Susans opinion on the book before CGC. She has the better track record IMO.

Here's my answer

On that list the AF 15 9.6 is #10. Knowing what I now know, I might put it at 11.

Great list! What do you make of all that talk about the Church All American #16 (CGC 9.4) a few months ago? Lots of people seemed to think it was going to be sold for 7 figures.

I would place it in the top ten now.

I love Spidey... but there's no way AF 15 will ever, ever top Action 1 let alone Tec 27. When we're looking at those giants, being in 3rd place isn't so bad. :shrug:

I voted for the AF 15. My argument is Superman is getting the Tarzan/Lone Ranger disease. what is Tarzan/Lone Ranger disease? its a comic character that was very popular for his time and generation that has now faded. Superman populararity has declined and will continue to decline as the times have changed and his fanbase is dying off. one of the main reasons Superman had failed with the younger audience is his appearance looks stupid to them. a man wearing long underwear? It looks good in the comics and animation but it looked absolutely ridiculous in the latest movies. also he is boring to the modern generation. He will always win no matter what because he is Superman. the biggest reason might be the copyright reason, this will be in big play down the line when Warner will not promote Superman like they do the Batman now. Don`t ever underestimate promotion. that will make or break a product as Alan Moore should know. Please don`t get me wrong I am a big Superman fan especially the George Reeves TV show. I am just giving my argument has to why AF 15 the first appearance of Spider-man will one day rule the nest.

Never happen.

Action Comics, and Superman are better modern books IMO. And probably anyone who reads both.

And see my post regarding supply and demand. How many copies are REALLY going to be bought at 100K plus ? Think about it. How long do the high numbers stick around ? Until the next one shows up and shatters the last sale price. The highest graded copy cant be highest graded if there are 2. Which lowers the value, it isnt highest graded anymore, it shares the spot.

Not just at auction. Imagine, if you will, two parties looking to exchange 7 figures for one of the hobby's' top books. What's the easiest way to come to an agreement as to the grade and therefore the price?

CGC.

The deal could be worked out in advance (if it's a 9.4 I'll pay X, if it comes back 9.6 I'll pay XX) and a lot of the haggling over defects could be put to bed.

Here is a little something that might just freeze the blood in the GA collector. Since the question of scarcity has come up....

The last CGC Action #1 that sold that I am aware of was the $80K CGC 2.0 on ComicLink. There are curently 19 CGC Action #1's at 2.0 or better unrestored.

The last AF #15 CGC 8.5 sold for $118,000. There are currently 20 CGC AF #15's at 8.5 or better unrestored.

So, tier for tier, the AF #15 is less scarce and worth more money than Action Comics #1 already!

Simple fact, the 20th or so best copy of AF #!5 sold for more than the 19th or so best copy of Action #1. That is UNBELIEVABLE!

I voted for the AF 15. My argument is Superman is getting the Tarzan/Lone Ranger disease. what is Tarzan/Lone Ranger disease? its a comic character that was very popular for his time and generation that has now faded. Superman populararity has declined and will continue to decline as the times have changed and his fanbase is dying off. one of the main reasons Superman had failed with the younger audience is his appearance looks stupid to them. a man wearing long underwear? It looks good in the comics and animation but it looked absolutely ridiculous in the latest movies. also he is boring to the modern generation. He will always win no matter what because he is Superman. the biggest reason might be the copyright reason, this will be in big play down the line when Warner will not promote Superman like they do the Batman now. Don`t ever underestimate promotion. that will make or break a product as Alan Moore should know. Please don`t get me wrong I am a big Superman fan especially the George Reeves TV show. I am just giving my argument has to why AF 15 the first appearance of Spider-man will one day rule the nest.

Never happen.

Action Comics, and Superman are better modern books IMO. And probably anyone who reads both.

And see my post regarding supply and demand. How many copies are REALLY going to be bought at 100K plus ? Think about it. How long do the high numbers stick around ? Until the next one shows up and shatters the last sale price. The highest graded copy cant be highest graded if there are 2. Which lowers the value, it isnt highest graded anymore, it shares the spot.

no one is reading the modern books(low sales, half of which are bought by the local comic shops), the comic industry has been getting by on the profits of the Merchandising for sometime now. Warner could shut down DC Comics tommorrow and still make a profit off of Batman.

Here is a little something that might just freeze the blood in the GA collector. Since the question of scarcity has come up....

The last CGC Action #1 that sold that I am aware of was the $80K CGC 2.0 on ComicLink. There are curently 19 CGC Action #1's at 2.0 or better unrestored.

The last AF #15 CGC 8.5 sold for $118,000. There are currently 20 CGC AF #15's at 8.5 or better unrestored.

So, tier for tier, the AF #15 is less scarce and worth more money than Action Comics #1 already!

Simple fact, the 20th or so best copy of AF #!5 sold for more than the 19th or so best copy of Action #1. That is UNBELIEVABLE!

Didnt a coverless action 1 sell for 20K ? I really dont see taking the 8.5 book, and the 2.0 book and comparing ? This is just totally out of context. There ARE Action 1's in HG correct? Compare that price and get back to me.

Never happen.

no one is reading the modern books(low sales, half of which are bought by the local comic shops), the comic industry has been getting by on the profits of the Merchandising for sometime now. Warner could shut down DC Comics tommorrow and still make a profit off of Batman.

You are absolutely right. They should stop printing moderns ASAP. Then we could watch back issue sales plummet as well.

Didnt a coverless action 1 sell for 20K ? I really dont see taking the 8.5 book, and the 2.0 book and comparing ? This is just totally out of context. There ARE Action 1's in HG correct? Compare that price and get back to me.

I agree with The Resurrection.You cant compare a low grade Action to a HG AF15 :screwy:

AF15 in high grade still hasn't gotten over the hump of books like Flash Comics #1, Batman #1 or Cap #1

You are missing my point. They are clearly not worth the same grade fo grade, that would be stupid to suggest. The FACT is that in a ranking of the best copies that exist, head to head, the AF #15 wins. That COULD imply by logical interpretaion that the BEST Action #1 is worth less than the BEST AF #15. This is just a hypothetical argument, and of course is open to discussion.

You are missing my point. They are clearly not worth the same grade fo grade, that would be stupid to suggest. The FACT is that in a ranking of the best copies that exist, head to head, the AF #15 wins. That COULD imply by logical interpretaion that the BEST Action #1 is worth less than the BEST AF #15. This is just a hypothetical argument, and of course is open to discussion.

But wouldn't this mean the Action is harder to find and there for worth that much more than the AF15?

You are missing my point. They are clearly not worth the same grade fo grade, that would be stupid to suggest. The FACT is that in a ranking of the best copies that exist, head to head, the AF #15 wins. That COULD imply by logical interpretaion that the BEST Action #1 is worth less than the BEST AF #15. This is just a hypothetical argument, and of course is open to discussion

This makes no sense to me. Any HG 8.0 or better Action 1 will blow any AF 15 CLEAR out of the water. To imply anything otherwise is ridiculous.

And going for Action 1 in comparison makes me laugh anyways, no arguement presented will prove otherwise now or 50 years from now. Even a Tec'27, Cap 1, or Flash 1 will trump that book grade for grade.

But wouldn't this mean the Action is harder to find and there for worth that much more than the AF15?

That is the whole point. In recent sales, the Action #1 is more scarce and sells for less than the same ranked AF #15 (please read RANKED best copies, NOT grade for grade). Therefore, the AF #15 has greater demand..it;s all supply and demand guys. Remember, we are talking about the best single copy of each issue here, not the grade.