• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'splain this to me Lucy...

33 posts in this topic

I disagree that pressing a book takes away its pedigree status. We actually talked about this in Baltimore.

Besides, I just love how everyone automatically assumes it was pressed just because it passed through Stephen Ritter's hands.

It might not have been...and I certainly didn't say it had.

But see, here's the problem that he, and Matt, and Lauterbach, and numerous others now have. They won't proactively disclose pressed books, so a percentage of the buying populace have decided that it is an easier buying experience for them to conclude that all of their books have been pressed and deal (or indeed, not deal) accordingly.

Live by the sword... (shrug)

I completely understand someone's right to chose to purchase or not from these individuals. But to announce, "I traded book A to Stephen Ritter and now the grade went up and it's on Comic Link, so Stephen pressed it" is erroneous.

Yep. On a good day, just about any 9.6 could be resubbed re-evaluated as a 9.8.

I disagree that pressing a book takes away its pedigree status. We actually talked about this in Baltimore.

Besides, I just love how everyone automatically assumes it was pressed just because it passed through Stephen Ritter's hands.

But see, here's the problem that he, and Matt, and Lauterbach, and numerous others now have. They won't proactively disclose pressed books, so a percentage of the buying populace have decided that it is an easier buying experience for them to conclude that all of their books have been pressed and deal (or indeed, not deal) accordingly.

I completely understand someone's right to chose to purchase or not from these individuals. But to announce, "I traded book A to Stephen Ritter and now the grade went up and it's on Comic Link, so Stephen pressed it" might be erroneous.

That's better. (thumbs u

But seriously, it is admittedly a bit 2 + 2, but the cause of the calculation even being attempted is fully in the court of the seller.

Live by the sword...

I completely understand someone's right to chose to purchase or not from these individuals. But to announce, "I traded book A to Stephen Ritter and now the grade went up and it's on Comic Link, so Stephen pressed it" is erroneous.

Jeff, if this is the case, don't you think that this is appalling?

Given the difference in prices, surely the reverse should be/must be true?

I completely understand someone's right to chose to purchase or not from these individuals. But to announce, "I traded book A to Stephen Ritter and now the grade went up and it's on Comic Link, so Stephen pressed it" might be erroneous.

That's better. (thumbs u

But seriously, it is admittedly a bit 2 + 2, but the cause of the calculation even being attempted is fully in the court of the seller.

Live by the sword...

Oh, I agree. I can't tell you if he pressed it or not, but if someone were to ask him they would get a truthful answer. The problem here is with the assumption.

We can play what ifs all day long. Perhaps Stepehn had a buyer for the book. Sold it to him at a con and then the buyer proceeded directly to Matt's table and submitted the book to be pressed. Not outside the realm of possibility, I think.

The difference between the two grades seems so minute, how many books straddle the line between the two grades? That creates a situation where many books could go either way.

It just surprises me that a 9.6 book would even have a pressable defect.

Really? Slightly rounded corner. NCB spine tick on the back cover. Tiny indent.....

Doesn't take much to knock a book from a 9.8 to a 9.6

The difference between the two grades seems so minute, how many books straddle the line between the two grades? That creates a situation where many books could go either way.

I didn't mean to infer that Steve DID press it, it either was pressed or not. In the scheme of things I traded it off for a nice profit, so I have nothing to complain about. I am just surprised that CGC has their own label showing it a 9.6 to maintain the pedigree, and they now feel it's a 9.8? And even if it was pressed, what can you press out of a 9.6 to turn it into a 9.8?

And do they remove the previous 9.6 from the census?

I have one ASM with 3 sigs on it.

Had it resubbed after two more.. Came back with a 9.8

So I have had the Oakland House of Mystery 200 awhile, and I slab it in anticipation of selling it. Send it in with original mylar and it comes back CGC 9.6 OW/W Oakland.

Last Year I trade it to Steve Ritter.

Now it's on Comiclink as a CGC 9.8 OW/W Oakland.

So whoever sent it in, in order to maintain it's pedigree status, had to send in the original label, right? The one that says 9.6?

I mean come on, pressing 9.6's turns them into census topping 9.8's? Even with the label that says it was a 9.6?

oy

Getting back to your original post, I guess it depends how things work at CGC. In a perfect world, one person at CGC would receive the book and CGC label, make note of the pedigree designation, and forward the book and pedigree info to the graders, with not hint of the previous CGC grade.

As they always say, CGC grades the book in front of them.

Jeff, just about any "strong" 9.6 could be resubbed for evaluation for a 9.8 Not just any 9.6, (well you did say "about".. so nevermid!)

We have all seen 9.6 dogs, and strong 9.4's, and vice versa. Many times even a strong 9.6 is a whisker away from being a 9.8 and pressing can remove that whisker. But in the end so little is needed to to bump it up, it is for all intentional purposes the same book so this talk of it no longer being a Pedigree is nonsense.

Pressing a 9.6 into a 9.8 is about as benign as you can get imho, if in the case of silvers book it even was pressed at least it kept it's Pedigree status.