• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R. Crumb's Underground show at ICA Philadelphia

8 posts in this topic

When I heard about this show, I thought to myself, "There will be a few pieces of original art mixed with some published material... no big deal."

When I walked into the room on the second floor of the ICA this evening, my jaw dropped to the floor. If you are a Crumb fan, a comics fan, a pop art fan, an art fan, you need to get your to the ICA to see this show. I'm serious. The breadth of original art in this show is absolutely staggering. I'm talking about everything from original early Zap covers to Mr. Natural stories, Fritz the Cat, jazz stories, modern work with Aline, paintings, sculptures, cutouts, etc. Early stories, early covers, even an original composition book containing a story he did with his brother Charles as a child. There are literally dozens and dozens of pieces of original art in this show. I can't imagine that there has been a bigger collection of his work in one place. I will be going back when I have more time to read each one of these stories.

Where are you coming from? Day trip would be fine.

I don't want to give the impression that the show is massive, but there are two good sized rooms full of original art, and the quality of the art is very high. Lots of early underground stuff. If you read all the stories, you can go through it in about an hour and a half or two hours, depending on your speed. I need to go back so I can read them all.

Watch the video on the link above and you can get an idea how much there is to read.

If you are a serious Crumb fan, I can't see how you could pass it up.

Thanks Paul.

If the exhibit was huge, I would just make it a long weekend. Luckily I'm from NYC where it's a quick train ride so a day trip seems fine. I may even be able to squeeze in a few cheesesteaks while I'm there. :banana:

Cheers!

Nelson

My favorite cheesesteak place is Tony Luke's, but a good alternative is Jim's at 4th and South. It gets very busy at Jim's on the weekend... we're talking a 45 minute wait, so try to go early if possible.