• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay ended my Invaders #40 Original Cover Art auction!

24 posts in this topic

WTH? Ebay ended my auction today because it was requested by a "Verified Rights Owner". Who would this be? Marvel Comics? I didn't specifically mention Marvel in my auction ad. Could that be it?

Shark

They are probably questioning if you own the rights to the piece and therefore do you have a right to be selling it.

Are we seeing the end of OA on eBay? Does eBay have any feet left to shoot itself in?

My daughter sells namebrand clothing on eBay and has had several of her auctions ended since Oct 1st. I guess they think she is selling knock-offs. They also have the funds sent for other items "locked" in PAYPAL until the buyers leave FB and confirm they didn't get a pirated item.

What once was a company/website I thought would be around forever is driving away its customers with a vengeance.

They are probably questioning if you own the rights to the piece and therefore do you have a right to be selling it.

Are we seeing the end of OA on eBay? Does eBay have any feet left to shoot itself in?

My daughter sells namebrand clothing on eBay and has had several of her auctions ended since Oct 1st. I guess they think she is selling knock-offs. They also have the funds sent for other items "locked" in PAYPAL until the buyers leave FB and confirm they didn't get a pirated item.

WOW. I sell a lot of name brand clothing on there too, if this happens to me it'll be the last time I ever do...

I just relisted this artwork on eBay again. I still don't have a straight answer from eBay as to why they cancelled the auction in the first place. I added some copyright information from the back of the artwork so hopefully that keeps it from being cancelled again. :wishluck:

Shark

I suspect ebay took down your original listing because you are asking for an additional 3% if the buyer uses paypal. Ebay owns paypal and does not take kindly to the additional charge imposed on the buyer.

Just my observation and opinion.

All the best.

Cheers!

Nelson

I suspect ebay took down your original listing because you are asking for an additional 3% if the buyer uses paypal. Ebay owns paypal and does not take kindly to the additional charge imposed on the buyer.

All the best.

Cheers!

Nelson

Hmmm....that thought did enter my mind. Maybe I'll take it out and just add it to the invoice after the sale.

Shark

All the best.

Cheers!

Nelson

Hmmm....that thought did enter my mind. Maybe I'll take it out and just add it to the invoice after the sale.

Shark

Or just take it out and eat it. By adding it to the invoice later you run the risk of getting a negative thanks to the new ebay feedback system.

Or just take it out and eat it. By adding it to the invoice later you run the risk of getting a negative thanks to the new ebay feedback system.

It wouldn't be thanks to the new ebay system, it would be because he's in the wrong and deserving a neg.

NelsonAl was correct. The problem WAS the wording about the Paypal fees. I have corrected it by just saying that I will accept payment by money order only. That should solve everything and nobody will have to worry about any Paypal fees.

Mike

actually, if you had stated that in your auction, that will definitely be taken down, that's been a no-no since the begining.

Even stores are not supposed to offer a cash discount if you don't use a credit card, credit card companies frown on that.

Malvin

NelsonAl was correct. The problem WAS the wording about the Paypal fees. I have corrected it by just saying that I will accept payment by money order only. That should solve everything and nobody will have to worry about any Paypal fees.

Mike

Well, you'd better hurry, then - effective October 20th eBay will no longer allow buyers to pay for transactions with a money order or check.

All the best.

Cheers!

Nelson

Shark

Shark, it is illegal to charge credit card fees to purchasers in every state. It is also against the Paypal rules, as well as eBay's rules. Charging the buyer all your fees associated with taking CC or PP is seen as a tax.

In business there is a very simple axiom for the fees we pay to operate - it's called "the cost of doing business" and anyone, including yourself would be outraged if the next time you went to use your credit card at Macy's they said "we have added 4% to your bill to cover our costs".

Think of it this way: you use a credit card because it is easier for you than to always carry cash. Very few people buy a 60 inch plasma screen with cash. Similarly, the business sees your using that credit card as a way to make a sale faster, and easier. If you are selling something, and you wish to be paid quickly, CC and PP are as fast as it gets.

I understand you're probably just mainly a collector, but if you want to do business, you have to accept business principals.. and charging extra fees is against all business principals.

All the best.

Cheers!

Nelson

Hmmm....that thought did enter my mind. Maybe I'll take it out and just add it to the invoice after the sale.Shark

Wont that be against ebay rules and a suspendable offence?

If I agree on a bid price and a Seller then tried to charge me an extra 3% id be complaining to ebay quickly

All the best.

Cheers!

Nelson

Hmmm....that thought did enter my mind. Maybe I'll take it out and just add it to the invoice after the sale.Shark

Wont that be against ebay rules and a suspendable offence?

If I agree on a bid price and a Seller then tried to charge me an extra 3% id be complaining to ebay quickly

I honestly didn't realize it was such a no-no to request that the buyer cover some or all of the associated Paypal fees. In fact, I relisted the art a 2nd time adding copyright info (thought that's what the problem was) then a half hour later found out the real reason from eBay why they cancelled the auction.

The auction currently states "money order only" because I hate the idea of having to fork over $60, $90, $120 or whatever to Paypal. If anybody is a money grabber here it's eBay and Paypal. As far as eBay making everyone use Paypal after October 20th, it's just another way eBay is ensuring that the little guy has to pay up one way or the other. rantrant

I MAY change my mind and accept Paypal payment before the auction ends (I know, I know - change it before 24 hours are left in the auction).

Shark