• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help grading???? Marvel Team-Up #3

31 posts in this topic

I'm trying to put a run of MTU #1-25 CGC 9.4+. I only have #2, #3, #18 & Annual #1 (western Penn) all CGC 9.4 ow/w so far since I barely started tongue.gif

Thanks to everyone who has responded laugh.gif

I see a couple of things that are suspect, maybe you can explain before I weigh in.

1) what are those spots under the swinging spidey's foot?

2) Is that a blunt impact on the bottom left corner?

3) Is the book soiled or is it the scan that makes it look that way?

In leiu of an explanation to these questions I will weigh in at a 7.5 grade.

i'd give it an 8.0 due to the multiple spine stresses

For the record, I once owned a book graded CGC 9.4 that had 11 tiny but color-breaking spine stresses (this book was published in 1979 and had ow to w pages). And it was a Red Label Modern, so it makes me laugh when people blindly assume that the Red Label books were "undergraded". Only a small segment of the Red Label books were undergraded, IMHO (those submitted in late 2000, and as CI has pointed out, only the older Moderns, not the stuff from the 1990s and up).

Anyway, that book undoubtedly wouldn't get a 9.4 today, but I think it could still get a 9.0 or 9.2. Which is why when I see this MTU scan, I don't think the stresses would necessarily take it all the way down to an 8.0.

Gene

More as an fyi than anything:

I just bought and returned a Marvel Team Up 1 from Joe Nacca at Golden Age. Advertised as NM but really more VF to my eyes due to spider creases on the spine. If you really want to take a chance (he offers a full refund, no questions asked) you should buy some from him and see if you like them. He is usually right around guide but at least you have the luxury of seeing before buying.