• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eye appeal is everything...

32 posts in this topic

I'd hate to see what the "eye appeal" of a Good- book looks like:

Linky

I don't get these people that say "this books grades as a X but it looks like an Y" what is that supposed to mean anyway? Isn't a grade suposed to be based on what the book LOOKS LIKE?

I've considered buying from this seller before (not this book) but something seemed sketchy about him. This listing makes them seem even worse. Has anyone ever dealt with this seller before?

Linky

I don't get these people that say "this books grades as a X but it looks like an Y" what is that supposed to mean anyway? Isn't a grade suposed to be based on what the book LOOKS LIKE?

Yes, and some books do fit that criteria - like an otherwise HG book that has a tiny tear on the back, or faint stain, books that are docked a notch or two and are technically a lower grade but otherwise have the eye appeal of an HG book. In this case though, this fool is just blowin' smoke.

I think there is a legitimate use of the eye appeal qualification. For example, a defect to the back cover, or a detached centerfold. If the book looks nicer sitting in mylar than its technical grade, then as a buyer I'd be more likely to pay a higher percentage of Guide than for a similar book in the same technical grade without the added eye appeal.

Having said all that, no way does that AF #15 get any eye appeal bump! If anything, I think it looks worse than the Good Minus grade!

I think there is a legitimate use of the eye appeal qualification. For example, a defect to the back cover, or a detached centerfold. If the book looks nicer sitting in mylar than its technical grade, then as a buyer I'd be more likely to pay a higher percentage of Guide than for a similar book in the same technical grade without the added eye appeal.

Having said all that, no way does that AF #15 get any eye appeal bump! If anything, I think it looks worse than the Good Minus grade!

I agree with this as I've purchased quite a few books based on eye appeal. I have a beautiful Atom #2 with the cover detached from the upper staple. Otherwise, this book would be no lower than 9.4.

As you said though, it still looks great in a Mylar.

Linky

Yes, and some books do fit that criteria - like an otherwise HG book that has a tiny tear on the back, or faint stain, books that are docked a notch or two and are technically a lower grade but otherwise have the eye appeal of an HG book. In this case though, this fool is just blowin' smoke.

Right, well if you want to say "If not for a 2" back cover tear this would be a VG", that makes sense. This guy just says it looks better than the stated grade without any qualification. Maybe he just couldn't think of how to phrase it...I suggest something like, "...except for the original owner getting drunk and taking a box cutter to the front cover and then dipping the spine in poo and chewing on it, this book looks like a VG/NM...".