• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Ebay lays off employees, issues profit warning, stock plummets

26 posts in this topic

Full Story Here

CNBC also noted today that the share prices for Ebay, Microsoft, Intel and Yahoo were all at their late 1990's levels....... their stock has been flat for almost 10 years.

Best investment for these times..... smokes and booze. They do well in good times and even better in bad times. 2c

Profit-taking initiative by the new leadership/policy makers.

Typical paradigm of corporate maturation from entrepreneur leadership.

"EBay announced two acquisitions Monday, at the same time saying it will lay off over 1,000 staff worldwide and cut back on recruitment.

It will pay almost $1 billion for U.S. online payment company Bill Me Later, and around $390 million in cash for the operator of two Danish classifieds sites, dba.dk and bilbasen.dk."

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/100608-ebay-buys-payment-firm-for.html

Like Microsoft, buy out the competition and maintain their, (seemingly) monopoly.

Can anybody suggest some good books where to park some money ?

High grade, high demand books. It's the stuff that is already expensive, but those books tend to keep pulling away from the other drek.

Avoid dead titles/characters.

fyi: I buy Fawcetts and crime books, so I'm pretty much an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and should be ignored.

The great thing about selling for as long as I have on Ebay, is now I have a "customer base" that I can offer a first look to with some of my books.

This help tremendously in both Paypal fees AND ebay fees.

Save save save.

One gentleman emailed me and then phoned to say he's sending a money order on a high end book so I don't even have to deal with paypal, and ergo, don't have to deal with Ebay either!

I've found recently too, that with a few books I might have had a "pie in the sky" BIN price, looking for a decent best offer.

Auction ends, and then I get emails asking if the book is still available.

A deal can be struck.

I think Ebay's greed is getting the best of them, and by their instilling that winners of auctions can't use check or money order anymore to pay for their winnings...that they are forced to use Paypal (which ebay owns) seems to me there should be something illegal about that, but whatever.

There's still ways around the system that can benefit both seller and buyer.

I still like to insist on paypal as it protects the buyer, and then there's no real headache, but you also make sure that said buyer pays for insurance and signature confirmation so they can't do a charge back. And that they've got a verified address.

Money order is great, and if the buyer is willing to go that route, then it's win win if you ship correctly and insure it.

But I also read somewhere that Ebay is going to try and encourage FREE SHIPPING...which is just simply out of the question for me, as a seller.

I'm expected to pay list fees, closing costs, Paypal fees AND ship costs too?

What's left for me???

Oh, right. Nothing.

But I also read somewhere that Ebay is going to try and encourage FREE SHIPPING...which is just simply out of the question for me, as a seller.

I'm expected to pay list fees, closing costs, Paypal fees AND ship costs too?

What's left for me???

Oh, right. Nothing.

Part of their strategy over the past year+ is to move away from the smaller sellers(person to person) and be more of a business to consumer site. The listing fees, closing costs, PP fees and shipping are all costs of doing business, people have to decide whether they want to be a business or sell on ebay to move product.

How they plan on replacing the (potential & actual) lost revenue from the recent massive cancellations of ebay Store Inventory items that don't specify a specific shipping cost(even if it is included in the item desription) is mystifying, I would imagine there will be a substantial amount of people that don't want to go through 1000s of items one by one(they can't be bulk edited) to add the shipping. Never mind the sometimes unrealistic max shipping charges that now have to be offered in certain categories.

When I'm literally forced to take Pay Pal as a form of payment. I said screw you.... You guy's may like it. I have been burned by them.. So I try to avoid it like the plague...

like back in the paper days, i prefer check or money order over paypal now. meh

I would imagine there will be a substantial amount of people that don't want to go through 1000s of items one by one(they can't be bulk edited) to add the shipping.

I have been updating my shipping charges (from $3 media to $5 priority) in my store listings and we're only talking about like 140 of them and it is a laborious process. I don't have dial-up, but I guess my cable modem isn't so fast or maybe ebay is just slow. I find that I can revise about 5 listings before I start falling asleep.