• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Ebay lays off employees, issues profit warning, stock plummets

26 posts in this topic

Is there realistically any other option out there beyond ebay that reaches the intl arena and the millions of potential viewers?

Even on the horizon?

I was almost going to say yes and cite what I thought to be a leader in the market, ComicLink. But, after checking their traffic stats at compete.com, I would agree that no one is within sight of ebay.

ComicLink does better than my site, ComicSeeker.com, but not by as much as I thought. And, cgccomics.com has more traffic than the link.

Another way to look at it, ebay averages about 70 million unique visitors monthly vs the 5k-8k for the most trafficked comic dealers.

Comic Link isn't even close to ebay. No comic book dealer is or likely can be. Of course, it all depends on what kind of book you are selling. For HG or expensive books ebay is rarely useful. Sometimes, but not often. But for books that are a few hundred dollars or less, it is the only real online option.

I agree with all of you. The changes that were made last May though have really hurt ebay. No negatives to buyers, did they really think that would lure more buyers and therefore more profits?? Well it drove away us sellers in droves. One dvd retailer, who himself had 2 million dollars a year, quit selling on ebay due to raised fees. 2 million in sales lost from one seller. So you can only imagine how much they've lost overall.

I really feel one of two things will happen: Ebay's CEO will step down, as he's useless (every decision by him has been wrong) and ebay will go back to what it was like in the late 90's. Or another up and coming site will start to catch up with the numbers, but it will take 5-10 yrs for that to happen. I sold my shares of ebay. I still sell there, but most of my business is now done on Amazon.com We can only hope it gets better for comic buyers and sellers alike!