• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, Bronze boys and gals..let's get rolling on Iron Man 55....

25 posts in this topic

Just got a very nice copy in last week, and will be sending it out with my next batch of submissions. Where does this beauty rank for you if Hulk 181 is MU Bronze #1 key. It seems that Thanos is every where nowadays, and may be getting a mini-series(i think?) When ever I get into a roundtable villian discussion there is #1 Dr. Doom #2 Galactus and Thanos or the Abomination usually are mentioned shortly there after. I beleive this book will SKY-ROCKET once shell head hits the big screen in '06. Thouhgts?

I'd say Thanos would easily be in the Top 10 Marvel villains, but certainly not that high.

You'd have to wade past Dr. Doom, Kingpin, Magneto, Green Goblin, Galactus, and some others before you'd hit Thanos.

This book has some pros and one definite con:

Pros:

1) Rarer than other Bronze Age keys, due its late arrival and non-hoarding.

2) Multiple first appearnaces in addition to Thanos.

3) Ties into classic Captain Marvel/Starlin story.

Cons, and it's a biggy:

1) Thanos does not appear on the cover.

That last one is the main reason this book hasn't really spiked, and why it will probably never attain the status of other, far more common BA keys.

Tough book! It wasn't even on the radar until Thanos became semi-popular as a result of the Infinity War/Crusade/Gauntlet, but now that's a dead horse. And unfortunately for the IM 55 specs, Captain Marvel is a second-tier superhero and the "cosmic villain" angle keeps Thanos out of the mainstream of Marvel superheros (Spidey, X-men, Hulk, FF, DD, Iron Man, etc.,.), and thusly, out of the mainstream focus of Marvel collectors. I think this book has peaked (CGC price fluctuations notwithstanding)...sorry. confused-smiley-013.gif

Post a scan of your book let us grade it before Steve sees it. Iron man 55 is undervalued. Thanos is the next Wolverine hot character. IM 55 with it's white cover is tough to find in NM. I am looking for these in all grades. hi.gif

Iron man 55 is undervalued. Thanos is the next Wolverine hot character.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif How many you got to unload?? Sorry bud, but the Infinity bump occurred on this book around 10 years ago!!

the first thanos cover is Captian Marvel #26. but its just a small image. I have always liked the character, i think he is interesting enough to keep interest up in the book, and certainly has more merit than sabretooth, but i don't see it jumping up again. That train left the station. I don't see it tanking either though.

This book has some pros and one definite con:

That last one is the main reason this book hasn't really spiked, and why it will probably never attain the status of other, far more common BA keys.

Wasn't he also only a Robot in IM 55 and the real Thanos was never in that book?

Thanos is the next Wolverine hot character.

Save my post and remember you heard it here. Wizard already let it out of the bag so it is hard to find a reasonable price for nice raw copies. Iron fist 15 for some reason is really hot in Denver.

Sorry, but that is ridiculous. How the heck can Thanos achieve Wolverine's status? Wolverine is a top tier character in one of the best selling comics of the past 2 decades, he's been in movies, he's has his own successful series, a huge fanboy following, & he will most likely have his own movie within 5 years. Thanos? Who cares? confused-smiley-013.gif

Cons, and it's a biggy:

1) Thanos does not appear on the cover.

Great point jc but I think there is one other significant con: he barely appears in the book!! It's not much more than a cameo. He's in the shadows the entire book, you only see an arm or a leg for most of the book, etc... it's a pretty marginal first appearance! 893whatthe.gif

That being said, I like the book a lot smile.gif

Wasn't he also only a Robot in IM 55 and the real Thanos was never in that book?

Nope, the real Thanos crushed Iron Man's glove, but later took off (a la Doc Doom) and left his robot minion to hold the fort.