• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Valuable Sigs

48 posts in this topic

I have een thinking about getting Stan Lee to sign my AF 15. It is,a s far as I know a unrestored book. It should grade out @ 7.5 - 8.0 OW/W Pages. I have had it since the mid to late 80's. What would the signature of Stan "The Man" Lee add to this book? The book is not slabbed right now. What would the cost be to have it witnessed and submitted to the folks in Sarasota? I have never submitted a book to them. I know that the value of this book will play a good role in the grading fee. But if i get it done. I would like it done as fast as possible. The thought of sending it out, getting it signed, submitted doesn't sit very well with me. But I know for condition and money reasons. It is better off in a slab.. Thanks for any help you can give.

I have een thinking about getting Stan Lee to sign my AF 15. It is,a s far as I know a unrestored book. It should grade out @ 7.5 - 8.0 OW/W Pages. I have had it since the mid to late 80's. What would the signature of Stan "The Man" Lee add to this book? The book is not slabbed right now. What would the cost be to have it witnessed and submitted to the folks in Sarasota? I have never submitted a book to them. I know that the value of this book will play a good role in the grading fee. But if i get it done. I would like it done as fast as possible. The thought of sending it out, getting it signed, submitted doesn't sit very well with me. But I know for condition and money reasons. It is better off in a slab.. Thanks for any help you can give.

Your best bet would be to talk with Chandler Rice (Desertwindcomics) about the next signing opportunity he has with Stan Lee

Once you know the date of the signing, you can ship (or give) it to him just before the date and he'll send it to CGC shortly after it gets signed (if the signing is in NY in Feb he'll just submit it at the show).

Given the age and value of your book it's going to fall into Walkthru tier so CGC is going to grade and encapsulate it as soon as it arrives in Sarasota --- turnaround time with shipping for Walkthru is a just a few days.

Cost would be the cost of Walkthru tier price (% of FMV) + shipping + the Stan Lee SS fees, which Chandler has posted before, but will gladly tell you about.

Are you doing this book for yourself to keep, or are you thinking about selling it after getting it signed? If you plan on keeping the book, the question of how much Stan's signature would add to the book is irrelevant. You would be doing it because you wanted to have your copy signed by Stan, and would like the autograph authenticated in the process.

On the other hand, if you are doing it for resale, I'm not sure how much Stan's signature would add to a book that is already $40K+ if it is in fact 7.5 or better. The universe of buyers for such an expensive book is already pretty small, and if you add the autograph, the universe shrinks significantly because a number of the potential buyers would view the autograph as a "flaw" in the book, even if it is Stan Lee's. And I don't think those that are interested would be willing to pay a big premium for Stan's signature.

On the other hand, Stan's signature can add quite a bit of value to lower grade Marvel keys. For instance, if this were a 2.5 copy, the autograph could significantly increase the value on a percentage basis. But for a 7.5 or better copy, any percentage increase in value, if at all, would likely be pretty small.

If it were my book and I wanted to sell it, I would leave it alone and not have it signed. 'Nuff Said.

Are you doing this book for yourself to keep, or are you thinking about selling it after getting it signed? If you plan on keeping the book, the question of how much Stan's signature would add to the book is irrelevant. You would be doing it because you wanted to have your copy signed by Stan, and would like the autograph authenticated in the process.

On the other hand, if you are doing it for resale, I'm not sure how much Stan's signature would add to a book that is already $40K+ if it is in fact 7.5 or better. The universe of buyers for such an expensive book is already pretty small, and if you add the autograph, the universe shrinks significantly because a number of the potential buyers would view the autograph as a "flaw" in the book, even if it is Stan Lee's. And I don't think those that are interested would be willing to pay a big premium for Stan's signature.

On the other hand, Stan's signature can add quite a bit of value to lower grade Marvel keys. For instance, if this were a 2.5 copy, the autograph could significantly increase the value on a percentage basis. But for a 7.5 or better copy, any percentage increase in value, if at all, would likely be pretty small.

If it were my book and I wanted to sell it, I would leave it alone and not have it signed. 'Nuff Said.

(thumbs u Right on the money. Also, lets say you have a true 8.0. Why risk a single grade drop by extra handling on a book like that? Witnesses are very capable but once it's in Stans hands, accidents are possible. One grade of difference on this book is considerable.

(thumbs u Right on the money. Also, lets say you have a true 8.0. Why risk a single grade drop by extra handling on a book like that? Witnesses are very capable but once it's in Stans hands, accidents are possible. One grade of difference on this book is considerable.

Have to agree. Slab the VF- copy Blue......sell it.....then buy a low grade copy for a fraction of the cost & get that one signed. (thumbs u

I'm one of the most hardcore Stan Lee fans there is, and I have to chime in. Unless it was going to be for my private collection, I would NOT have him sign it. There's no reliable way to measure resale value and a mistake in signature could destroy the value of the book, and that grade is tough to replace.

The better option is to get a second low-grade copy (I have a 1.5) and have Stan Lee sign that. Sorry if this opinion comes on strong, but I think you are better off safe than sorry. Congratulations on having such an amazing (pun intended) comic book.