• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theagenes' Tip Top Tarzan Covers

80 posts in this topic

I was going to scan some things today, but I couldn't get my scanner to work (it's been well over a year since I last used it haha). So I had to resort to taking more pictures. I thought I would try them in a gallery this time to see how that works.

http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/comics-n-erb/?albumview=slideshow

Here's one for you! I got this in trade several years ago. Below is what I have been told about this item: 1945 United Feature Comics Vol. 6 #42 The Rarest known comic containing Tarzan. 22 x 15 inch, spiral bound, hard cardboard covers "published weekly" "10 cent" This series printed all the Sunday and Daily strips owned by united Features plus a weeks' worth of the single panel strips (such as Tarzan, Lil Abner, Hawkshaw The Detective, Capt. & The Kids, Joe Jinks, Ella Cinders, Bronco Bill, Bill Mauldin's Up Front, etc...) This is supposedly the only known surviving copy of this issue, which is the only one with a full page of the week of Tarzan Strips! It is also the rarest and largest dime comic strip reprint book of Tarzan (or probably any other strip star).

So, do any of you know what this is, ever seen one, ever heard of it, etc...???

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

Here's one for you! I got this in trade several years ago. Below is what I have been told about this item: 1945 United Feature Comics Vol. 6 #42 The Rarest known comic containing Tarzan. 22 x 15 inch, spiral bound, hard cardboard covers "published weekly" "10 cent" This series printed all the Sunday and Daily strips owned by united Features plus a weeks' worth of the single panel strips (such as Tarzan, Lil Abner, Hawkshaw The Detective, Capt. & The Kids, Joe Jinks, Ella Cinders, Bronco Bill, Bill Mauldin's Up Front, etc...) This is supposedly the only known surviving copy of this issue, which is the only one with a full page of the week of Tarzan Strips! It is also the rarest and largest dime comic strip reprint book of Tarzan (or probably any other strip star).

So, do any of you know what this is, ever seen one, ever heard of it, etc...???

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

ERB

That is amazing! I have never seen or heard of this before. It begs the question though, if this is vol.6, no. 42 then there must be many other issues of it. What strips were in those and are there any examples of them still around? I'd love to know more about these. I wonder if they were only sold locally in NY.

Before seeing this I would have guess that the rarest Tarzan comic books would have been the three Tip Top "annuals" that were sold at the World's Fair.

Oh yeah, forgot to answer your question on the funnies, yes, it is the one from heritage. I saw it and had to have it! :)

Cool, just curious if it was a copy I knew about or a new one. That makes only three copies of that book (our two and a raw 6.0 that Metro had recently) that I know about that have sold in the last five or six years and I've been paying pretty close attention. :)

This week, after three years, I finally completed my run of Tip Top Tarzan covers. It was a lot fun and great challenge as some of the early issues are tough to find. I haven't worried about grades so much and the condition of these is all over the place from 2.0 to 8.0. I've always wanted to be able to start one of these threads so here goes.

Congratulations, Jeff. :applause::applause:

I love those comics. (thumbs u

I'm happy there's still a few collectors out there who appreciates these classics. cheers.gif

Tip Top Comics 41 (September 1939) - Berdanier cover. Probably from favorite cover from the whole run.

TipTop041fcsm2.jpg

This cover is one of my favorites, too. :gossip:

Make that the 3 of us.

Jeff, how many Tarzan Sundays are reprinted in any given Tip Top issue? And with your set of Tip Top Tarzan covers, what time period do the reprint cover?

With all your talk of Tarzan lately, I find myself reading Foster's run and for the time I realize that it's not until the beginning of 1934 that Foster "nails" down the look of Tarzan's face he'll carry forward throughout his run.

I'm attaching (probably not the best example) a couple of panels from March 1934 with the cool idol because a post with a pic is just sooo much better -

68599.jpg.cb7e3fa4c8f545b2fe42718775ca09c3.jpg

Make that the 3 of us.

Jeff, how many Tarzan Sundays are reprinted in any given Tip Top issue? And with your set of Tip Top Tarzan covers, what time period do the reprint cover?

With all your talk of Tarzan lately, I find myself reading Foster's run and for the time I realize that it's not until the beginning of 1934 that Foster "nails" down the look of Tarzan's face he'll carry forward throughout his run.

I'm attaching (probably not the best example) a couple of panels from March 1934 with the cool idol because a post with a pic is just sooo much better -

The earliest issues only have three or four Tarzan pages, but it had increased to six pages by issue 9. The later issues have eight pages.

No. 3 is the eariest issue I have and it starts several weeks into the Egyptian sequence, so I'm guessing that the run began with the start of that story arc in Tip Top 1. The Egyptian sequence lasts for quite a while and takes up the first dozen or so issues. Tip Top 9 has the Baal statue panels that you posted here. I'm not sure if the Tarzan pages continue uninterupted from that point or if they jump around to other story arcs - I'll have to check it out this weekend when I have a chance.

Tip Top Comics 41 (September 1939) - Berdanier cover. Probably from favorite cover from the whole run.

TipTop041fcsm2.jpg

This cover is one of my favorites, too. :gossip:

Make that the 3 of us.

I don't have anything relevant to add to this conversation but I did want to post an old pic from Tiop Top 10.

bb

1801115001_2724ea306f_b.jpg

and a panel from a full size Sunday page from 1-22-33.

1801114481_7979a0c625_b.jpg

Tip Top Comics 34 (February 1939) - Berdanier cover.

TipTop034fcsm.jpg

After seeing these Tip Top covers by Berdanier, I had to go out and buy one. Maybe it was mentioned but thought I would bump and make the point again, he made great covers. I have a few Sparkman (or Sparkler) issues by him too.

I also saw the interior bio from How It Began Single Series.

29989173181_a09bc89cbe_b.jpg

The bio was posted by Aokartman back in 2014. Excuse the reposting please. :devil: