• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone, or will anyone get JLA/Avengers #1 slabbed?

17 posts in this topic

That answers that, but I guess sometimes people are willing to forecast a slab for future $$$. I have never slabbed or purchased a slabbed modern book, but the nature of collecting is that some of these modern slab books will be worth some $$$ one day. That is what holds me back on forecasting and also makes me wonder"what if".

I believe the thinking on slabbing current modern books is to be the first one out there with the highest grade for sale. I highly doubt any current modern book will be worth anything for a VERY long time. With the advent of CGC and pre-screening process, there are too many high grade copies around.

Well, then 9.8 and down are pretty much dime a dozen. That has got to be Speculator driven.

The same could be said for pretty much every modern book. They're hoping to catch the same magic juice that's been in the hobby for at least three decades -a book comes out, catches lightning in a bottle, goes up in price for a year or so and then either crashes or settles in for the long haul at a "collectible" price. If you buy at the beginning and sell before time runs out it's very lucrative. CGC just raises the stakes because if you get a 10.0 on a hot book all bets are off (right, Darth? smile.gif )

JLA/Avengers didn't generate nearly the heat of something like Batman 608, Origin 1, or ASM 36. Those books were real money makers (for CGC at the very minimum.)

I see that there are no 10.0's for Avengers/JLA. Could this be due to the way it is bound?

I hadn't heard that 1602 #1 was all that special, but I have heard the Supreme Power #1 variant is doing pretty good on the secondary market. Both have been good reads so far...

- D.