• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to Gold Key?

16 posts in this topic

Were they not a victim somehow of the decision to go to a direct market in the early 80's? Collectors for the most part concentrated on "Super Heroes" leaving Gold Key in the dust so to speak. With no market anymore in the Mom and Pop shops, didn't they just fade away?

yeah i think it was the choice they made to go into 3 packs & sit in toys r us & that sort of thing. It ended up leading to horrible sales & eventual death. I just found the last issue of turok, man was THAT a sumunaperson_without_enough_empathy to find! It was originally in a 3-pack issue with korak & mighty samson.

I just found the last issue of turok, man was THAT a sumunaperson_without_enough_empathy to find! It was originally in a 3-pack issue with korak & mighty samson.

Cool! Did you complete the whole run of Turok?

I have been slowly collecting all the Gold Key Valiant stuff. I'm not particulary interested in grade, I just want to read them all.

Do any of you have any high grade copies of Magnus,Turok, Doctor Solar,ETC. to show ? They are some of the greatest comic covers ever done."painted" Plus you get Russ Manning artwork in Magnus Robot Fighter "a very underatted artist whose style was clean and design oriented.

I just found the last issue of turok, man was THAT a sumunaperson_without_enough_empathy to find! It was originally in a 3-pack issue with korak & mighty samson.

Cool! Did you complete the whole run of Turok?

I have been slowly collecting all the Gold Key Valiant stuff. I'm not particulary interested in grade, I just want to read them all.

I need 8, 100 and 124 to finish my run. But would also like a better copy of 55. That's a real tough one in hi-grade. I have yet to see one on ebay, and I've been looking for 3 years.

Do any of you have any high grade copies of Magnus,Turok, Doctor Solar,ETC. to show ? They are some of the greatest comic covers ever done."painted" Plus you get Russ Manning artwork in Magnus Robot Fighter "a very underatted artist whose style was clean and design oriented.

I agree they are some of the best covers I have seen. I could see some high grade copies looking very nice in a cgc holder.

I agree they are some of the best covers I have seen. I could see some high grade copies looking very nice in a cgc holder.

Korak #3!

319829-Korak3SmallFrontCGC85.jpg

319829-Korak3SmallFrontCGC85.jpg.ef6b338e0dbff19af2367ba5387bf05c.jpg

i don't have terribly many turok's, but i love tracking down late issue gold key-whitmans. The last issues of Boris Karloff, twilillight Zone, Ripley's etc, all in the 1980-1982 era are really tough to find, its a fun hunt. The covers on Gold key books can be incredible, i WISH i had all the turoks! The interior art too is often top notch, with torres, williamson, crandall, wood, evans, & McWilliams in the 60's mystery titles and Manning on Magnus, there is just so much to offer. Its a shame so few collectors are interested in them.

Oh, and Ninanina - is your last turok a GK or Whitman? I have a whitman and wasn't sure if there is GK of it.

John Hauser had some primo GK as recently as last year,check out his website.

I own three unopened GK three bags with great covers.

I also have acquirred five copies of Frankenstein Jr 1,

a book listed asscarce by Overstreet. When I get to twenty I will have a giant bon-fire for 19 of them.

When I get to twenty I will have a giant bon-fire for 19 of them.

A smarter idea would be to "talk about" the giant bon-fire you had for 19 of them. thumbsup2.gif

Me thinks I've talked too much already.What I really need to do is pay some hot artist a few bucks to talk up his new Franky jr. project while on the same elevator as the guys from metropolis. devil.gif