• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mignola OA question

16 posts in this topic

i am currently reading a novel called BALTIMORE and mignola does some art in this book and was wondering if anyone knew of where i might be able to find some OA from this novel ? if you have any questions about this book let me know ill try to answer in order to find some art!

I agree

I wonder when Mignola will jump in the 21st century and start listing his OA on his website...

I agree. It's hard to snag OA from Mignola here in Australia...unless I pay big money in the secondary market.

Any idea how much Mignola sell pieces for? He seems to sell lots of Hellboy sketchbook style pages.

I wonder when Mignola will jump in the 21st century and start listing his OA on his website...

Probably when he decides he's not making enough money just selling at cons.

That's the easy answer, but when you see the discrepancy between his prices and the prices on the secondary market (1.5 to 3X the original price) I"m not sure that's a valid argument.

Furthermore, when you have an international following like him, it would be the least to offer some of his OA to his fans outside the U.S.

It's not that he does not list it on his website, you can't even contact him to inquire about available pieces! doh!

F.

Probably when he decides he's not making enough money just selling at cons.

That's the easy answer, but when you see the discrepancy between his prices and the prices on the secondary market (1.5 to 3X the original price) I"m not sure that's a valid argument.

Furthermore, when you have an international following like him, it would be the least to offer some of his OA to his fans outside the U.S.

It's not that he does not list it on his website, you can't even contact him to inquire about available pieces! doh!

F.

I want to preface this with - I don't know Mignola. Never met him. Don't even know a thing about his art market (besides what I see on eBay.)

Mignola's not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I'm sure he knows what his pieces fetch on the secondary market - yet he continues to keep his prices lower than that. Adam Hughes is another example - he knows his con sketches will go for MUCH higher than the $200 he charges – but he keeps the price there because that's what he is comfortable with.

Plus, cons make for easy transactions. Usually involving cash. If Mignola were to open up sales on his site he'd have the extra hassle of maintaining the site, handling shipping, etc – or paying someone to do it for him.

As for offering OA up to fans outside the US - why? Sure, it would be nice – but he doesn't HAVE to. It's not like he owes fans anything - US or not. If someone from outside the US wants to buy a piece directly from Mignola they can find a way. Attend a con. Arrange for someone attending a con to pick something up. Scour the internets for someone who knows Mignola and try to arrange a purchase that way.

So yeah - it was an easy answer. But I think it's totally valid.

I must get there late because the 2 times I've seen him this year, there was no art available.

I hear he had art for sale in Baltimore – but I never saw it. The lines were way too long. The guy must be popular or something.

I must get there late because the 2 times I've seen him this year, there was no art available.

i've never seen mignola with a portfolio on his table.

When he was signing in Baltimore he had a portfolio with him. The art I saw started at 800 for unfamiliar characters and 1200 + for BPRD and the like. And the art was all his standard small sizes (ie not 11x14 etc)

Albert Moy is his official agent, I think.

Mignola doesn't always bring art to sell at cons, but he often does. In the last year, I've seen him with art for sale at WonderCon, NYCC, and San Diego. He's usually swamped at the beginning of the show. The prices must have been right because he usually gets cleaned out right away. At SDCC, however, he raised them to market or above market...the art did not move quite as fast.

Also, his wife put a piece up on Ebay recently. That may indicate that they will be selling via auction more, so fans who don't go to cons can bid. However, the piece did not meet reserve. Whether they decide to list more in light of that, only time will tell.