• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Will Never Understand Neat Stuff Collectibles

32 posts in this topic

Ever.

Check this out. Neat Stuff had an AF 15 for sale like 2 weeks ago. So here we are in the height or approaching the height of a current rise in this book at unheard of levels. There's been plenty of discussion about it here on CGC, and people all over ebay and the auction sites are getting truly ungodly prices for this book.

So again, Neat Stuff has a copy- this copy- for sale about two weeks ago, by itself. And then, before the auction goes out, they cancel it, showing that it ended early.

Okay, I think to myself. They sold it outside of ebay. Good for them. White hot book. Found a buyer. Glad to see them moving individual books and putting a little effort into selling actual comic books.

um, yeah....

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-155-Marvel-DC-Silver-Age-Comic-Collection-Spider-Man_W0QQitemZ140273655927QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140273655927&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

they also had a 4,000,000 comic lot

wow. just, wow.

and to be clear, it's not that I care, but this buisness model isn't working (or doesn't appear to be working) for them.

If these big auctions sold, I'd say, keep doing it,

but as SNL news anchors say,

REALLY?

They've posted on here previously and stated the the eBay listings for the large lots are just to get people to pick up the phone and call them. They don't expect them to meet reserve and sell, but close deals later.

IIRC.

Still......who ends an auction for a key book ....before its realized its full potential??

I think they need the keys to draw attention to the huge lots they sell. They want to sell them directly, thus avoiding ebay fees.

But to get full value, they list the keys individually first with huge reserves with no intention of selling them individually. The idea is to get maximum exposure and advertising value for the company.

An AF 15 probably gets 1000 page views.

It is a business model that seems to work for them. They have done it for a long time.

Whose bankruptcy sale was that?

mike has been running the local shows in NYC for close to 15 years.

figure one small-time dealer can't pay for his tables at each show and winds up leaving his krap there before someone removes a kidney to pay for the tables (although, honestly, some of mike's security hasn't aged all that well over the years)

10,000 comics a pop? (o.k. -- I'm stretching that #)

4-5 shows a year, so like 50,000 a year X 15 years...well, that gets us up to 750,000

the # of comic shops in NYC is down about 80% from the early 90's. so, let's say 50 have closed. mike is the local guy, he probably snags the krapola. each shop has an everage 50,000 comics sitting in their basement (5,000 of which are X-Men 1 Jim Lee cover variants)

that's 2.5 million comics...

criminey, this is exhausting.... and mike had a spare 750,000 copies of Turok 1

so now we have 4 million!

Yeah he has stated that most of those ads are an attraction to call them and work out some deal. I figured he doesn't want the auction to run its course so he does the cancel and readvertise over and over.

Whose bankruptcy sale was that?

mike has been running the local shows in NYC for close to 15 years.

figure one small-time dealer can't pay for his tables at each show and winds up leaving his krap there before someone removes a kidney to pay for the tables (although, honestly, some of mike's security hasn't aged all that well over the years)

10,000 comics a pop? (o.k. -- I'm stretching that #)

4-5 shows a year, so like 50,000 a year X 15 years...well, that gets us up to 750,000

the # of comic shops in NYC is down about 80% from the early 90's. so, let's say 50 have closed. mike is the local guy, he probably snags the krapola. each shop has an everage 50,000 comics sitting in their basement (5,000 of which are X-Men 1 Jim Lee cover variants)

that's 2.5 million comics...

criminey, this is exhausting.... and mike had a spare 750,000 copies of Turok 1

so now we have 4 million!

Except that the ad makes it clear it is from ONE dealer's inventory. (shrug)

But then again perhaps there were 750,000 copies of Turok 1! lol

it's also good with the $.35 listing stuff now.

I agree. We are going to see a lot more of this type of stuff, with eBay just part of someone's ad budget. Don't be surprised when eBay makes a policy like ComicLink and cuts out messaging between accounts and bans phone numbers from listings!