• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Convention Sketch Prices - Can someone help me with this?

6 posts in this topic

I'm curious about how much these artists generally charge for sketches of full characters:

J. Scott Campbell

Frank Cho

Adam Hughes

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! (thumbs u

Campbell - was Charging $150 for a detailed head sketch at Toronto and turning out great ones. Someone asked him for a full figure and I think he said $400-500 being that it would take him 3 times the time a head sketch would given the detail.

Cho - Doesn't do them.

Adam Hughes - I think they are all $200 now....and a silly bargain at that. I know folks who have run and scamped and camped out for 5 years to dash to make the list for Adam and not yet made it. That is how great his sketches are, what a great price that is, and how popular they have become. You can sometimes find his sketches on Ebay from those willing to flip such a rare commodity in exchange for cash and those will run you $650-$1400 depending on character and composition.

C

I lined up 25 minutes just to get on Adam Hughes's sketch list. He randomly chooses 5 per day to sketch. Over a 2 day comicon, that means only 10 fans will have the opportunity to get a sketch. Back then, he was charging $150 each but his spouse/business partner would cap the list after it his 30 names (after the 1st hour of a con). He also spent time signing his many :cloud9: comic book covers for hungry fans. :tonofbricks:

I'm curious about how much these artists generally charge for sketches of full characters:

J. Scott Campbell

Frank Cho

Adam Hughes

Cho - Doesn't do them.

C

Do you know if Cho will do commissions at an alternate location than a convention site?

J. Scott Campbell

Frank Cho

Adam Hughes

Cho - Doesn't do them.

C

Do you know if Cho will do commissions at an alternate location than a convention site?

I have only been asking him for about 5 or 6 years (along with several other folks I know) and have been steadily turned down. If that's any indication.

The only exception is a couple of times when Frank put up a "Have Lunch and a Sketch with Frank Cho" charity auction at various times.

Those always go for extra-large sized cash.

C

Back 10 years ago when he was first getting national attention, maybe. These days, not a chance. He doesn't even want to talk about selling his published artwork, he just refers all inquiries to his art agent, and since he only gives artwork to him once or twice a year to sell at conventions, the answer is always "Sorry, nothing is available". It took seeing Frank at conventions for many years, and the help of a good friend connected with him to even get this pencil sketch from Frank...

http://cafurl.com?i=10348

You've chosen to try to get artwork from 3 of the most popular creators in comics, and while it CAN be done, it may take a while to do it, and you may have to get something they have already completed, rather than done specifically for you. Good luck, the hunt for the sketch is half the fun in getting one!

Dave M.