• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copies and copy cats

28 posts in this topic

Wow, cool stuff! (thumbs u

The two Sinister House of Secret Love acetates are interesting -- whereas the "acetates" recently being sold on Ebay are positive images (basically like an overhead transparency for projection), what you have posted above appear to be negatives, much like the ones in traditional printing that were used to create the printing plates.

Back in the prehistoric days when i worked for the newspaper they'd take a picture of each page, burn a negative much like what you have there, and then use that to create a plate which would then be used on the press. I think that's what you have there, isn't it?

That's some fun stuff, I'm glad you posted it! :banana:

--Steve

Glad you like them!! I am not sure exactly how these Acetates were used in the production process, What I do know is they where only used when the Artist had painted the cover image and this process was only used as far as My Buddy who bought the Adler collection knows, on the first three issues of Sinister House of Secret Love. I am a Big fan of Gothic Romance. So I really apreciated these peices!

I think that is a great collection. I particularly like the Adler gothic romance color guides.

Thank you! Its been a while since I dug into some of this stuff, some I might have the terminology wrong. But I think the Archies are called Color Seperations. They consist of 3 TO 4 sheets overlayed. The Bottom layer is the black and white, then color sheets above that so when put all together, they form the final product. With the sheets all together they form sort of a 3-d effect! Cool!

The two Sinister House of Secret Love acetates are interesting -- whereas the "acetates" recently being sold on Ebay are positive images (basically like an overhead transparency for projection), what you have posted above appear to be negatives, much like the ones in traditional printing that were used to create the printing plates.

Back in the prehistoric days when i worked for the newspaper they'd take a picture of each page, burn a negative much like what you have there, and then use that to create a plate which would then be used on the press. I think that's what you have there, isn't it?

--Steve

Yes Rhino you are correct, This process was used only on the 2 early DC painted covers in the Gothic romance vein. The negative was shot from the Large original painting then the negative was used to make the printing plate.

This process was costly and not needed on line art, only painted covers so the procedure was dropped due to being cost prohibitive. Adler used this process on the first couple Dark Mansion of Forbidden love issues as well. But Those Acetates were not saved by Adler.

Gothic Romance was huge in the late 60s and early seventies, and nothing set that mood better than oil paintings, thus this procedure.

Thanks Rhino for your insight!

--Steve

Yes Rhino you are correct, This process was used only on the 2 early DC painted covers in the Gothic romance vein. The negative was shot from the Large original painting then the negative was used to make the printing plate.

This process was costly and not needed on line art, only painted covers so the procedure was dropped due to being cost prohibitive. Adler used this process on the first couple Dark Mansion of Forbidden love issues as well. But Those Acetates were not saved by Adler.

Gothic Romance was huge in the late 60s and early seventies, and nothing set that mood better than oil paintings, thus this procedure.

Thanks Rhino for your insight!

You're welcome, I'm glad you posted them -- those gorgeous gothic images almost look normal as negatives! :insane:

I have to say Bronzilla, your impressive collection has me reconsidering my approach to production art. Especially in today's OA market. lol!

In the meantime, thanks very much for sharing. You have some beautiful pieces there.

Your collection emphasizes some of the truly wonderful aspects of this hobby: namely that there is always more to learn, and there is some great art available to everyone.

Best regards.

- A

P.S.: Is that you in the picture?