• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's way to early to talk about SDCC '09......

50 posts in this topic

Wow, so many potential first-time attendees! :) All I can say is, if you can raise the money, DO IT! This con is so far and above anything you have ever experienced, comic con wise... It's huge, it's loud, it's crowded, but I believe you will have a GREAT time! Your first San Diego Con will always be the best. I've gone every year starting in 1992 and I've always had some fun when I go. Yes, I'm exhausted, broke, my car is full of boxes, and I'm always aching about the things I didn't have time or opportunity to do, but in the end, it's always a worthwhile experience. :)

Buy your passes NOW! Even if you don't go, you can flip them on eBay in July 2009 for $200-300 each, and they're only $75 each now. Mark my words, this has happened for the past 2 conventions! (2007 they went for $300 each the week of the show; 2008 they sold out in June, and after that it was $200-500 each for a 4-day pass, and Saturday only passes went for as high as $280!!! They're only $35!)

Joel

After several years of negotiation with the wife -- i will be attending this coming year with a friend who also had to negotiate with his wife -- with no family in tow ( :( ) hopefully i`ll have funds eneough to have a good time -- now hotel rates open sometime in feb ? is that correct ........ or should i just go ahead and reserve something soon to have a back-up in case i miss out the day the convention rates open up ?

After several years of negotiation with the wife -- i will be attending this coming year with a friend who also had to negotiate with his wife -- with no family in tow ( :( ) hopefully i`ll have funds eneough to have a good time -- now hotel rates open sometime in feb ? is that correct ........ or should i just go ahead and reserve something soon to have a back-up in case i miss out the day the convention rates open up ?
Try to get a back up but chances are that anything close will already have most of the rooms blocked off for the con rates. Unless you're a top tier rewards member with a hotel chain, expect to pay mega $$ right now. I booked my room while at the con earlier this year for next year. It was reasonable ($192 plus taxes per night) but it was a prepaid rate (although they have neglected to charge me yet but I have the confirmation number).

If you're willing to commute in from the outskirts, you'll find a room. Just don't expect it to be that reasonable compared to the other cons you've attended. It's always difficult to get something close when the con site opens. However, this year should be the first year with the new 1200 room Hilton so it may be a little bit easier. You may want to ask a dealer to book a room for you because they have rooms blocked off for themselves separate from the regular joe.

Try to get a back up but chances are that anything close will already have most of the rooms blocked off for the con rates. Unless you're a top tier rewards member with a hotel chain, expect to pay mega $$ right now. I booked my room while at the con earlier this year for next year. It was reasonable ($192 plus taxes per night) but it was a prepaid rate (although they have neglected to charge me yet but I have the confirmation number).

If you're willing to commute in from the outskirts, you'll find a room. Just don't expect it to be that reasonable compared to the other cons you've attended. It's always difficult to get something close when the con site opens. However, this year should be the first year with the new 1200 room Hilton so it may be a little bit easier. You may want to ask a dealer to book a room for you because they have rooms blocked off for themselves separate from the regular joe.

I'm no regular Joe.

.......but I'm thinking about making a special trip this year.

As opposed to not so special? What does that mean, rooming with Watson?

If he's lucky. If Mike needed a room mate, I would get over my fear of flying for a friend. You, not so much. :sumo:

I booked my hotel in July. Although I had to prepay, it's worth it than risk getting shut out in February.

I guess I should order my passes now as well.

What if you are paying for passes for multiple people on a single credit card. Do you have to provide the names of each attendee separately in advance or are all the passes under the name of the credit card holder? (shrug)

It's been awhile since I've attended.

Thanks

Cheers!

N