• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever buy old comics for your kids?

35 posts in this topic

When my son was about 8 (in the early 90's) ....I sent him, in the mail, a copy of Kamandi #1 with a big letter like it was from the Kamandi Fan Club or something.....then every month for the next year or so.....I sent him consecutive issues. He read em and really enjoyed the story.....and he never knew it was me that sent em. It was really fun.

I just bought a handful of old Lulu's and Tubby's from Mile High for my 11 and 12 year old kids.

Took advantage of Chuck's get $10 in free comics offer, paid $9 including shipping for 5 books. Not too shabby.

Plus, the kids have all the Dark Horse Lulus, they're new sure, but reprints of '50's stuff.

And 143ksk was kind enough to send along 10 or so Tubbys for my boy about a year and half ago. Yeah, some of the covers got knocked off since then, but he keeps them in an honored place.

He also has a stack of Dennis the Menace comics from the seventies, plus almost all of the Dennis pocketbooks with the newspaper dailies that I got from comicbookguy a few years ago.

So, yeah, I buy vintage comics for my kids, and I'm okay that it's a one-way trip to the garbage bin, eventually. But that's what they were made for, isn't it?

(thumbs u

I am slowly working my kids into reading comics. I bought my son a bunch of different stuff but after a trip to the LCS with him and his sister they both found the books they wanted.

My six year old son is reading DC super friends and Billy Batson Shazam.

My nine year old daughter is reading Spider-man loves Mary Jane.

I am working on a Transformers vol one run for him for christmas and a Stars Wars run for my daughter.

And yes I am looking for reader copies so if your holdin feel free to PM.

Also if you have other suggestions for a nine year old girl to read that would be great.

My kids like Ducks (Rosa and Barks)..also have read 70s Nova...and a bunch of masterworks

My girls were raised on, and learned to read from, early WDC&S, Uncle Scrooge, Looney Tunes, DC funny animal, and the like. I started their collection when they were young and if I ever manage to find out how to retrieve my photo files off of my recently deceased hard drive I'll post a pic of my oldest, Cheyenne, reading her Uncle Scrooge FC #386 when she was about 4. Until then, if I can manage to get the pics up, here's a old faded pic of Cheyenne with a mix of both of our collections and another releatively recent one of my youngest, Chumani, with a bunch of stuff we sold last year along with her Peter Pandas.

scan0018.jpg

SummerVacation01132.jpg

Wonderful pics, Offbeat! Are both your girls still interested in comics? Looks like you'll have one helluva collection to leave for them one distant day! :applause:

Thanks a million, SA12c! Unfortunately the terrible teens has taken its toll (Cheyenne is 16 and Chumani just turned 13 yesterday) and junk like music, clothes, ...boys, have taken the place of their interest in comics. They still picked up a lot of knowledge and great memories reading them over the years.

Cheyenne's favorite bedtime stories as a little were Mary Jane & Sniffles from Looney Tunes. She had her stack near memorized and a few months ago, just to see if she remembered, I said, "...poof, poof, piffles..." to her. Without hesitation she yelled, "Make me just as small as Sniffles!"

Once Cheyenne woke up before me on a Saturday morning and when I heard an unfamiliar ruckus I got up to find her rendition of the Fox & Crow in crayon on the hallway wall with a scrawled, "I love daddy". Now how in the hell do you bust a kid for something like that?!

I'm trying to put together a bunch of Harvey and Gold Key books for my daughter. Mostly Richie Rich and Uncle Scrooge but some others as well.

She's only 1 right now, but hopefully she will enjoy these comics when she can read. Maybe I can use them to teach her to read. :cloud9:

Unfortunately the terrible teens has taken its toll (Cheyenne is 16 and Chumani just turned 13 yesterday) and junk like music, clothes, ...boys, have taken the place of their interest in comics.

That's the natural progression as kid's age, but the funny thing is, adult women will remember those times but won't get nostalgic and want to buy it all back like men will. It likely has to do with the "age we feel happiest", as men usually relate to the 8-14 range, while women will do the same with old wedding or baby photos/videos.

For now, my two gals absolutely love going to the local cons with me (and grandpa and gramma), rummaging through Archie's and Katy Keene's, buying some Pokemon cards, reading the books at night, etc. and I guarantee those will be some of my best memories.

I have been buying some stuff for my 7 year old. I have been picking up Disney/Scrooge, Spiderman, Batman animated, Scoobydoo, Flintstones + some....those type of comics. I have also been trying to pick up some low grade to medium grade key 1st app for him but those are harder to find and more expensive then I intially thought. Thanks to the members here I have been able to pick some up a decent prices. Nice to see people helping a kid out especially when it comes to reading. :applause:

Well. I cant really add alot. My first is due on Jan.31st! But I think he will have a lifetime filled with comics and conventions. I basically spend every sunday somewhere set-up at local shows and conventions. And really hope that he takes on the same hobby that I did. My father bought me my first comic at 5, and I have alot of memories going to the flea market near me and going to an old magazine shop that sold SA comics with the title clipped off for 25 cents.

I really hope this gets passed down. As it seems you guys have built, and are making many great memories with your children through comics.

Great posts from all of you!

Unfortunately the terrible teens has taken its toll (Cheyenne is 16 and Chumani just turned 13 yesterday) and junk like music, clothes, ...boys, have taken the place of their interest in comics.

That's the natural progression as kid's age, but the funny thing is, adult women will remember those times but won't get nostalgic and want to buy it all back like men will. It likely has to do with the "age we feel happiest", as men usually relate to the 8-14 range, while women will do the same with old wedding or baby photos/videos.

For now, my two gals absolutely love going to the local cons with me (and grandpa and gramma), rummaging through Archie's and Katy Keene's, buying some Pokemon cards, reading the books at night, etc. and I guarantee those will be some of my best memories.

You hit the nail on the head there, JC. I have a feeling that the comic book days are over with for both of them. But we all sure have a hell of a lot of great comic book related memories to look back on. One of our favorite weekend activities was heading up to (shamless plug alert) Big Guy's Comics in Mountain View, CA where it wasn't unheard of to find the owner, and good friend, Swan, lying on the floor reading a comic. That usually ended up with the girls grabbing a couple Archies and Richies out of the boxes and parking it on the floor also to read whatever they could get their hands on. Yep, with kids building great memories is what it's all about and fortunately comic books played a huge role in that for us.

Wonderful pics, Offbeat! Are both your girls still interested in comics? Looks like you'll have one helluva collection to leave for them one distant day! :applause:

Thanks a million, SA12c! Unfortunately the terrible teens has taken its toll (Cheyenne is 16 and Chumani just turned 13 yesterday) and junk like music, clothes, ...boys, have taken the place of their interest in comics. They still picked up a lot of knowledge and great memories reading them over the years.

Cheyenne's favorite bedtime stories as a little were Mary Jane & Sniffles from Looney Tunes. She had her stack near memorized and a few months ago, just to see if she remembered, I said, "...poof, poof, piffles..." to her. Without hesitation she yelled, "Make me just as small as Sniffles!"

Once Cheyenne woke up before me on a Saturday morning and when I heard an unfamiliar ruckus I got up to find her rendition of the Fox & Crow in crayon on the hallway wall with a scrawled, "I love daddy". Now how in the hell do you bust a kid for something like that?!

Classic story :applause:

and a good reminder of why I love my kids :cloud9:

and no..., I don't need a reminder..., (tsk)