• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manitoba Comic Con 2008 Report

7 posts in this topic

Friday night:

Set up for my second MBCC and third show overall. Setting up was really easy. Not much more to say about that.

Saturday:

Left home early to pick up my helper. Got to the Convention Center about an hour before the show opened to

advance ticket holders at 9:00 am. Finished getting my table ready then walked around the exhibitor area for a little while.

1.jpg

My table, with my friend sitting.

3.jpg

The view from my table: Across the aisle.

2.jpg

The view from my table: 45 degrees to the right.

4.jpg

The view from my table: Beside/behind me.

5.jpg

Wide shot, during Sat. morning setup. Taken from the edge of Artist's Alley.

6.jpg

My aisle.

It was really nice to have my friend helping me and to be able to walk around a bit instead of being stuck at

the table all day like last year. Especially with the Con closing at 8:00 pm.

I bought a few comics on my walks, mostly from $1 bins since I didn't see any higher priced books that

I both wanted and had price tags I liked.

I bought a pile of Sandman (as well as other stuff that I won't bore you with) from one dealer and found

something interesting later when I opened the #9.

S9gaiman.jpg

The most expensive comic I bought, from a guy who had a few short boxes of comics that had been

"sitting in the basement for 20 years":

ASM316Bf.jpg

As you can see, I'm a super high-roller (::insane:

That was the majority of my buying, except for a handful I bought from a third dealer. I had thought I

recognized him when I had seen him earlier, but wasn't sure since I wasn't expecting him to be there.

He is well known on the boards and although he does not actively post here, has the distinction of being

the only board member I saw at the Con that I had not yet met. Have you guessed who he is yet?

(A picture sure would fit well right about here. Guess I should have snapped one. doh! )

Anyway, it was Wes Hagen, the infamous GCCBCO/dodofive. More on Wes later.

Now, back to my table. I could tell that I wasn't going to do as well as I did last year, based on what I had

seen and sold. The last hour and a half was dreadfully slow and boring, but it did give me a chance to look at

and read some of my new acquisitions. I'm pretty sure all the dealers were quite relieved when the clock

struck 8:00 and they announced that the Con was closed for the day.

Sunday morning:

Nothing special here. Got to the WCC a bit early, bought another pile of $1 books from the first dealer I mentioned

after seeing what they had on Saturday and checking what I needed when I got home on Saturday night.

Sunday afternoon:

Around 1:00-1:30 it seemed that the buying really picked up. My table was constantly busy for almost

an hour, and was fairly steady until the last hour or so, which was a sharp contrast to Saturday. In the end, I still

didn't do as well as last year, but better than I had thought I would after Saturday.

After the show closed, I had some time to kill before I could get a spot in the loading bay, so I went to talk

to Wes. As many have mentioned, he is great to talk to and deal with in person, it's just not a good idea for him

to post online since he doesn't like faceless people bashing him and doesn't edit/filter himself. He also

showed me the books he bought during the Con. He found some pretty nice stuff.

Anyway, it wasn't too long before I was able to load my car and get out of there. I had a good time over the weekend,

but it was still nice for it to be finished. It was a fun, well-run Con and hopefully next year will be even better!

Oh, yeah. Here's a picture of me from Sunday.

7.jpg

Dude thanks for the report. I was thinking of making it to that show.

From the pics the show looked to be more toy oriented than comic oriented. Was it?

Where there any big dealers from out of town there?

Any Golden Age or hi grade Silver Age to be found?

R.

Dude thanks for the report. I was thinking of making it to that show.

Maybe you should come next year. I am hopeful that it will continue to grow and get better. It has dramatically improved over the last two years.

From the pics the show looked to be more toy oriented than comic oriented. Was it?

Lots of comics, but lots of other junk as well.

Where there any big dealers from out of town there?

Not really. Wes was the biggest. I'm sure being in Canada and so far from other major cities will always hurt us in that department.

Any Golden Age or hi grade Silver Age to be found?

Sure. Not like a big U.S. con, but yes. :gossip: Ask Wes what he bought.