• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing detectable 100% of the time? 50% of the time?

250 posts in this topic

That said, I think the ability to detect pressing is proportional to the condition of the book prior to pressing. A 9.4 with a tiny edge dent pressed out will be almost impossible to detect.

A 7.5 pressed to 9.0 will be much easier to see some sort of fingerprint. There may be very small creases that are now pressed completely flat, spine stresses that look flattened, etc.

qft

Ok, I had to Google qft to figure that one out.

You learn something everyday.

:grin:

That said, I think the ability to detect pressing is proportional to the condition of the book prior to pressing. A 9.4 with a tiny edge dent pressed out will be almost impossible to detect.

A 7.5 pressed to 9.0 will be much easier to see some sort of fingerprint. There may be very small creases that are now pressed completely flat, spine stresses that look flattened, etc.

qft

Ok, I had to Google qft to figure that one out.

You learn something everyday.

:grin:

yes, it is particles that mediate the forces between other particles :baiting:

Noone has taken up my wager.

bedrock is a pro, and he won't even challenge my proposal for my detection.

But then again, I stated that I'm going back to the Comic Mafia. They may give me a few scars, but I'm better off with them.

PS sorry Dena for my choice of words on my post that was deleted. At least it wasn't aimed at anyone.

If you want to fly to Houston I will let you go through every book I own.

If you can pick out the pressed books I will post the results! (thumbs u

If you can't pick out the pressed books I will really post the results! :grin:

Hey, are you going to be in NYC come November ?

But then again, I stated that I'm going back to the Comic Mafia. They may give me a few scars, but I'm better off with them.

PS sorry Dena for my choice of words on my post that was deleted. At least it wasn't aimed at anyone.

Unfortunately not. I am still trying to get my store back up and running.

Normally I don't respond with just a graemlin, but... :signfunny:

Unfortunately not. I am still trying to get my store back up and running.

Bedrock PM me if you like.

I asked if you'd be in NYC.

You want to buy me a roundtrip ticket to Texas ?

And if you are willing to , I don't think I deserve to have to go to Texas. I have suffered enough already in my lifetime. Plus keep the pressing in the that pressing thread. Thank you.

Rather than PM or start a new thread I'll post here instead...someone, somewhere might be interested.

I don't want to buy you a roundtrip ticket. You made the assertion that you can spot pressing with 100% accuracy. You made the challenge. And you said no one took you up on it. I am taking you up on it. You prove it. Pony up for a ticket. Come to Texas. Prove your worth.

First off, I didn't say ,"I" could detect 100% of the time. But I said some can get close. I 'm not bad at detecting, but I never said 100%. Now you're misquoting me.

So buy a ticket, come to Houston and prove your worth. I doubt you could spot pressed books with even 1% accuracy.

I have 200 slabbed golden age books. You pick the pressed ones with valid reasons for your choice (not "well I Think this one might be").

If you can do better than 50% I will reimburse all of your travel expenses.

Plane tickets, hotels, rental cars...everything.

So buy a ticket, come to Houston and prove your worth. I doubt you could spot pressed books with even 1% accuracy.

I have 200 slabbed golden age books. You pick the pressed ones with valid reasons for your choice (not "well I Think this one might be").

Who wants to go to Houston? (shrug)

:baiting:

Seriously, shooting 10 of 10 foul shots would be easier (and just as unlikely).

I think I could prove you wrong. But aside from your offer on expenses, that is a lot of time. Even if we were to wager 5K, I'm not sure if I would want to go out there.

We've seen each other at the shows before, why don't we just coordinate at a future convention ?

Wager a meal and some beers. I'll take some side bets of course.

As for the challenges on the other threads.

Your right, I challenged you right back, (and asked if you'd be at the next major convention.) when I didn't hear anything.

Then later you asked me to come to Texas. Stalemate for now.

Look , I wouldn't want to fly to Texas, nor to very many places for that matter to prove this.

If I did, there would have to be a lot of money involved in my pocket.

And yes, I think there is some detection that can be made ( mostly Silver age Marvels) while in a CGC slab. No problem.