• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing detectable 100% of the time? 50% of the time?

250 posts in this topic

...as a piggy back to the Matt Nelson Kudo's thread, this question has come up repeatedly with no clear answer.

How about if this is discussed here with no talks of right or wrong / disclosure / greed......just the science / equipment needed to detect pressing. Well.....I am no scientist, so I look to you guys for input :popcorn:

I think pressing is detectable if done poorly or done on a poor pressing candidate.

If done properly on a book that is considered a good specimen it is not ever going to be detectable.

Let's say 50% are done properly and 50% are not.

Now take an accuracy detection rate of 90% on 50% of the books that are poor press jobs and you still only have a 45% accuracy at best. Heck take 100% detection capability and you are still only at 50%.

Now take that 50% accuracy and throw in to the mix the fact that you don't know which are pressed to start with. You have less than 50% accuracy in detecting a pressed book...and that is a best case scenario.

It's not enough accuracy to run a business on, that's for sure.

R.

I think pressing is detectable if done poorly or done on a poor pressing candidate.

If done properly on a book that is considered a good specimen it is not ever going to be detectable.

Now take an accuracy detection rate of 90% on 50% of the books that are poor press jobs and you still only have a 45% accuracy at best. Heck take 100% detection capability and you are still only at 50%.

Now take that 50% accuracy and throw in to the mix the fact that you don't know which are pressed to start with. You have less than 50% accuracy in detecting a pressed book...and that is a best case scenario.

R.

But what you can do is ID those copies which you can detect. That will not kill the business...and may in fact enhance good faith among the segment of collectors who do care about the practice...

Jim

R.

Exactly, Roy!! (thumbs u

R.

But what you can do is ID those copies which you can detect. That will not kill the business...and may in fact enhance good faith among the segment of collectors who do care about the practice...

Jim

Jim, what if you buy a book labeled unpressed when in fact it has been pressed?

See my point? It is inaccurate in both directions. There is no certainty. It's an educated guess at best and anyone trying to build it into a business model will get laughed to the street just like as if they were missing resto.

Can you imagine the threads being started?

"I got a pressed book past CGC"

(shrug)

R.

R.

Jim

Didn't Steve B say that bad press jobs are down-graded accordingly? So if the grade accurately reflects the bad press job, why the need to ID bad press jobs?

Didn't Steve B say that bad press jobs are down-graded accordingly? So if the grade accurately reflects the bad press job, why the need to ID bad press jobs?

Even good press jobs can be detected if the most ideal candidate wasn't used beforehand. The imperfections are still there but harder to notice...

Jim

It's a lot easier to tell if a book has NOT been pressed. If you want some examples to go by...pick up some raw Sid's Luncheonette books DIRECTLY from Harry, they have a fat feel to them and the bead of gloss that runs down the spine has different characteristics than a pressed book. Some books from warehouse finds were stored in stacks for many years and they will have characteristics of a pressed book even though technically they have not been pressed.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Where's FatComicMafia? :popcorn:

Sitting back laughing that showcase-4 was gullible enough to take his sh*t stirring idea and run with it.

Hey Dr. A-hole jerk Watson..........I've got some science for you. Why don't you take a large, wooden handled garden rake, and stick it aggressively and quickly into your rectum? ( oh, I forgot....he'd probably like that too much for it to be some form of punishment :gossip: )

Well now that is they way to get a thread pulled.

:eek:

Where's FatComicMafia? :popcorn:

Sitting back laughing that showcase-4 was gullible enough to take his sh*t stirring idea and run with it.

Hey Dr. A-hole jerk Watson..........I've got some science for you. Why don't you take a large, wooden handled garden rake, and stick it aggressively and quickly into your rectum? ( oh, I forgot....he'd probably like that too much for it to be some form of punishment :gossip: )

archdena.gif