• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What grade is practical to buy for Amazing Spider-Man??

5 posts in this topic

There are hundreds of copies graded for any given issue so is having one of the best key? My question is what is practical? I would normally buy 8.5s because they are nice copies and affordable but will an ASM collector want to buy an 8.5 back off of me later when there are 30 nicer copies? Same with 9.0...many nicer copies and a bit more pricey. Thoughts?

Eric makepoint.gif

I agree, right now everyone is going nute over the "best known" copies, and alot of nice 9.0-9.4 stuff is selling below guide. Eventually people will see that the premium you pay for the super HG is ridiculous, and they will start looking for nice clean copies. 9.2s and 9.4s are not eyesores.... Anytime I get a 9.8 on a submission (even some 9.6s) I sell it off and buy something in the 9.0 to 9.4 range (or really nice raw stuff) to replace it and have tons of cash leftover to get more stuff. My 9.8 Wolverin #1 (mini) should fetch me about 200 bucks, for example..., for that money I can get the whole miniseries in 9.4 (graded) and I have seen plenty of 9.4s that are just about as nice as my 9.8.

Well just took a look around at all the big time web sites. There are at least 5 copies of spidey 14 9.4 at $9000 or so available right now - along with multiple copies of 6,8,9, 13,15 17 etc all in 9.4 or better with big price tags and they are not exactly flying off the shelves. High grade early Spidey is not that hard to find so paying big multiples of guide is not the safest thing to do. I have had great luck with just about all early Marvels between 8.0 and 9.2. It is much more difficult to move the higher grade more expensive books unless you are at a movie hype time or general upswing. If you are buying stuff that corresponds to Overstreet pricing, I would say that is pretty safe. Some examples - bought a Spidey book in vf around 16 months ago for $1800 and recently sold it for $3100 and another 8.0 bought over a year ago for $1250 and sold for $1800. I had bought these for longterm - 10 years or more - potential but sold to upgrade. CGC has only been around for 3 years so as I have said paying the crazy multiples for cgc 9.4 + books may be a pretty risky investment. Now if you are buying just because you are collecting and want the prettiest books, spend away if you have the disposable cash. But for investing, I would play it safe. To me it looks like next year may be a good time to buy high grade Spideys at cheaper prices with all the books at CLink, Metro etc.

I agree with you.

Its nice to see signs that the ridiculous prices have led to a build up of available copies around. Wont be long before the prices shrink to accommodate the supply. I almost pulled the trigger on a few non-keys in th elast few years and Im as glas I didnt buy them as I am rueful over the ones I DID "overpay" for...

Ill be glad when we get back to a time when the difference in prices for a 9.2 to 9.6 in SA are 10 to 25% lets say like they used too be... and not 10x like in the early CGC craze!!!