• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who does good comic art restoration?

11 posts in this topic

i just used gordon christman, based out in california. i had a barry windsor-smith hand colored "something ic waes" print a previous owner had glued to a non-archival backing board. the piece began to bubble up, probably because the glue restricted the paper from breathing. he was able to get the piece off of the backing board without destroying the water colored front of the piece, press it and also clean up the back of the piece so you probably wouldn't even know the piece had problems.

if you want, i can send you his contact information.

Revealing my ignorance here: When talking about comic OA restoration, what is considered 'acceptable' as a fix? And how severely does this impact a future sale of the artwork (if at all)?

I was offered an original comic cover that had been liberally colored over by markers (and a bad job done of it) but passed for fear that the damage could never be undone.

Gordon Christman did a few non-comic art pieces for me that were smoke and water damaged in our house fire. He also cleaned up an FF page I bought that had some water damage and staining when I bought it. He did an excellent job on all of the pieces.

PM me if you want more information and his contact info.

Steve

I own an Ollifed piece:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=30548&GSub=3930&GCat=0&UCat=0

The saving grace is that the coloring actually looks pretty good, though I'd be curious to know if the color could be removed.

On a related note, does any know if it's possible, and if so, how feasible it is to remove an inscription on a piece of art written in ball point pen?

Alex

I own an Ollifed piece:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=30548&GSub=3930&GCat=0&UCat=0

The saving grace is that the coloring actually looks pretty good, though I'd be curious to know if the color could be removed.

On a related note, does any know if it's possible, and if so, how feasible it is to remove an inscription on a piece of art written in ball point pen?

Alex

Like a John Byrne signature right in the face of a Marvel character ? :insane: