• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good comics for 5 year old boy

37 posts in this topic

I'm buying Johnny Boo and Owly for my five year old daughter. Both of those books are great and are published by Top Shelf. (I also ordered a copy of "The Man Who Loved Breasts". Daddy needed a new book too.)

I've never read anything by James Kochalka, but his books look interesting. I'll have to pick one up regardless of what I buy for my nephew.

Thanks.

Bone.

I was going to mention Bone, but it might be a little dark for a 5 year old, in places.

But I may as well mention Akiko.

That was kind of my thinking about Bone as well. I'm not sure his dad would like the parts with the rat creatures.

I'm wondering about Shazam though. A little kid who turns into a superhero. What do you guys think?

SuperSnipe, the boy who has the most comics. He's got this great fantasy life, as a super hero, but he's a kid...and SUPERBOY, of course (you have those;)

Have fun, it's always wonderful encouraging kids to read anything.

I definitely was thinking about Superboy. I could probably find some beater copies at my LCS for pretty cheap because he can't have my copies. :sumo:

Same goes with Richie Rich and Casper, et.al.

At any given moment, you can find tons of those great books in low grades, in lots, and for the cheap!

Agreed. Any Harvey comics fit the bill perfectly.

Can't say enough about the Johnny DC line. Batman Strikes is tremendous. The cartoon books are great--and some of the Looney Tunes books are as good as the best of the original cartoons. JL Unlimited is great. They're really some of the best books being made

Can't say enough about the Johnny DC line. Batman Strikes is tremendous. The cartoon books are great--and some of the Looney Tunes books are as good as the best of the original cartoons. JL Unlimited is great. They're really some of the best books being made

My son enjoys all of those. He also likes Scooby Doo and Sonic.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I see a lot of titles I still read. :blush:

I think the kids DC titles may be along the lines of what my Brother-in-law was looking for, but I still think I still am going to get him a few of the other titles suggested. He may be surprised as to what catches his son's interest.

If anyone else has any good suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Thanks.

This site list DC's animated series.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/sections/comics/

Personally, I would recommend Batman Adventures (1992 series), it is excellent and very age appropriate. Issue 13 does have batman kissing talia but that is really the only issue. There are two trades but they are "out of print" however, your lcs should have them. I enjoyed the 1st trade better.

Batman and Robin Adventures is just as good but none of those issues are collected. The series runs 1-25 with two annuals. You can find partial runs for very cheap on ebay.

Batman Strikes has a few trades available and Justice League Unlimited has the trades in digest form (smaller that normal trade)

Transformers Animated (IDW) had a freeby during free comic book day and it looks very kid friendly.

Hope that helps.

He bought a few copies of some Spider-Man Marvel Adventures today, so we'll see how he likes those. He called me from Barnes & Noble to ask me what I thought of just about every Marvel or DC TPB they had. He wanted to buy a bunch of stuff, but most of it was definitely not age appropriate like Captain America: Winter Soldier.

I'm starting to think my Brother-in-law may be using this in part as an excuse to start buying comics again himself. I know he used to love Savage Sword of Conan and I have bought him a few to read again. Talking to him on the phone, he was saying how excited he was to sit and read these with his son.

I'm still going to go and buy a few things I think my nephew would like as well. I still think Herobear and the Kid is a good choice. I also have pulled out a few of my free comic book day comics from the past few years to give to him.