• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY @#$&*!!! Complete ASM #121 Original Art

32 posts in this topic

Thanks for sharing Joseph.. I like those reinterpretations better than the originals!! ESPECIALLY 122, that's killer!

I like the #122 original better than the reinterpretation (I think Gwen's face & hair need more detail in the latter), but I like the #121 reinterpretation much better than the original. Aside from the blazing yellow cover, I was never very impressed by that cover, particularly vis-a-vis #122.

Anyway, that guy does killer reinterpretations, as well as other commissions...I gotta think of something to commission from him!

Gene

I though you guys would like to know how Mike Burkey describes in his own words how he got the pages......

It came intact!

It sold for a huge some of 2750 at the 1992 Sotheby's auction!

I didn't win it as I had already spent my 2200 Max amount earlier in the

auction on 2 Ditko ASM goblin pages from ASM 23 and 27, as well as also in 1 lot

getting a Romita ASM 39 page!

Pretty amazing how this stuff was out there to be had back then!

The owner of the ASM 121 book wanted a Ditko ASM splash in trade for the ASM

121 book.

And there was no negotiation, it HAD TO BE A DITKO ASM SPLASH if I wanted to

get the 121 book!

I worked very hard to acquire the complete Ditko ASM 37 book in 1993,

I gave up a LONG box of KEY KEY early marvel comics, as well as 30,000 of

VINTAGE comic art for the ASM 37 story!

(A funny side note to this story is that i actually traded away 2 COMPLETE

ASM Romita stories which were valued at 3k EACH as part of the 30K trade to get

this Ditko story!!! heh heh)

That's how bad I wanted this ASM 121 book!

Interestingly, during my drive to New York City to do this deal in person, my

dad's blazer I borrowed actually broke down and I had to wait 2 weeks to get

it back as well as paying 2500 for a new transmission, and I got stuck in the

historical BLIZZARD OF 93 in march on the ride home!

And I was stuck at the Pocono Mountain lodge for 5 days on my ride home from

New York, as my friend leant me his car to go back home!

At the time, people felt I was pretty stupid to give up a 10-15K SPLASH for a

story that JUST sold for 2750, but I guess I envisioned the ASM 121 to be

worth more in the future!

mike

It sold for a huge some of 2750 at the 1992 Sotheby's auction!

That's amazing...if you put a $275K price tag on it today, that would represent a 52.0% compounded annual rate of return for 11 years (i.e., the price doubled every 16.6 months!!)

It should be obvious, but the trick to making money in collectibles is to buy before something goes up 9,900%. With its current price tag, that artwork would no longer be an investment, but rather a luxury item for a world-class collector with money to burn.

Gene

It should be obvious, but the trick to making money in collectibles is to buy before something goes up 9,900%.

Hey, that's a great idea. Now, can someone please tell me what ?

BTW, I just read that the complete original artwork to Hulk #181 is complete and in the hands of one collector. I think the ASM #121 artwork is more impressive, but that's just my opinion.

Gene

These are nice and all...but how is it exactly that he can make money off of Marvel characters?

I assume from his web site he lives in Italy...it's more expensive to chase down copyright violations across international boundaries. Probably not worth it in this case.

The fact that he's ripping off Marvel makes me not feel bad about me bypassing his JavaScript to rip off the images on his web site. devil.gif

I assume from his web site he lives in Italy...it's more expensive to chase down copyright violations across international boundaries. Probably not worth it in this case.

Bingo! I cited an example that sort of discusses this in another thread .

The fact that he's ripping off Marvel makes me not feel bad about me bypassing his JavaScript to rip off the images on his web site. devil.gif

One more for ya James thumbsup2.gif :

319932-asm033%5B2%5D.jpg

589a8b6e277e5_319932-asm0332.jpg.72c13646c3aa21dfddc174237b00726a.jpg