• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using retaliatory negs to lie about a buyer.

21 posts in this topic

Interested in opinions on this one guys. At the risk of maybe not handling this properly I'm in the middle of a situation. I won a couple modern Daredevils. Because the books were cheap, I told the seller vie email that sending it in a 9 x 12 envelope with a re-inforced backer would be ok. He responded by telling me he was new at this, and wondered what color envelope I wanted. Now, I didn't realize I was being "insulted" and could only think about the DD #1. Vol 2 I got that was shipped in a 9 x 12 envelope without a backer, or even a plastic bag. (Arrived with plenty of stress cracks) So, I went into a detailed explanation as to what was acceptable. I truly believed I was helping a "newbie".

Here's his reply:

LOOK at my feedback and quit wasting my time. Jesus Christ.

You act like you bought a f'ing car!

You don't know when you've been INSULTED!

I wish I had your time to waste all day long being ANAL.

So, I politely let him know I wasn't going to pay for the comics I won - against e-bay rules. What I was thinking was if I were at a comic shop thinking of purchasing these comics and the owner/seller treated me this way I'd probably walk away. But, I also realize there's a rule here about honoring e-bay policy. Policy or no policy, I don't feel a seller has the right to treat a buyer in this fashion.

Because of the email and the fact I don't sell on e-bay, I negged him. The only thing that I didn't appreciate about his reply to my neg was that he lied, suggesting to the e-bay community I didn't pay for the auction because I couldn't afford the comics. They were after all only $1.50.

Seller has a pretty decent record...maybe I caught him on a bad day.

Soooo...what would you guys have done?

Interested in opinions on this one guys. At the risk of maybe not handling this properly I'm in the middle of a situation. I won a couple modern Daredevils. Because the books were cheap, I told the seller vie email that sending it in a 9 x 12 envelope with a re-inforced backer would be ok. He responded by telling me he was new at this, and wondered what color envelope I wanted. Now, I didn't realize I was being "insulted" and could only think about the DD #1. Vol 2 I got that was shipped in a 9 x 12 envelope without a backer, or even a plastic bag. (Arrived with plenty of stress cracks) So, I went into a detailed explanation as to what was acceptable. I truly believed I was helping a "newbie".

Here's his reply:

LOOK at my feedback and quit wasting my time. Jesus Christ.

You act like you bought a f'ing car!

You don't know when you've been INSULTED!

I wish I had your time to waste all day long being ANAL.

So, I politely let him know I wasn't going to pay for the comics I won - against e-bay rules. What I was thinking was if I were at a comic shop thinking of purchasing these comics and the owner/seller treated me this way I'd probably walk away. But, I also realize there's a rule here about honoring e-bay policy. Policy or no policy, I don't feel a seller has the right to treat a buyer in this fashion.

Because of the email and the fact I don't sell on e-bay, I negged him. The only thing that I didn't appreciate about his reply to my neg was that he lied, suggesting to the e-bay community I didn't pay for the auction because I couldn't afford the comics. They were after all only $1.50.

Seller has a pretty decent record...maybe I caught him on a bad day.

Soooo...what would you guys have done?

While the seller acted like a complete jerk...I wouldn't have negged him. I would have paid then waited to get the books. If they were all tore up, then I would have negged him.

I think you might have overreacted by negging him before you even got the books...or paid for them for that matter. I think the neg should only be used after the buyer(if you are going to neg a seller) has followed through on his portion of the agreement and has either been misled or completely ripped off.

That wasn't Showcase New England was it? j/k...But SNE had the nerve to send me an email yesterday about some new books they were listing for someone..Needless to say my email response was not very kind. popcorn.gif

Ubiquiti's answer is no doubt the more practical one. I'm still on my first cup o' joe and in a gnarly mood!

Even though ubiquiti's answer is the more practical one (I agree) I liked yours better. grin.gif

The neg doesn't bother me, but the fact that he lied in his retaliatory neg and the fact there is nothing in place to remove or at least put him in a position to re-phrase it bothers me. By the way, the seller was Shelby's Comix. And....he offered to exchange positives and walk away if I'd agree to it. That's not right is it? I mean if there's a possibility a buyer may get an email like this from a seller, why hide it?

Isn't that what feed-back is all about?

Ubiquiti's answer is no doubt the more practical one. I'm still on my first cup o' joe and in a gnarly mood!

Even though ubiquiti's answer is the more practical one (I agree) I liked yours better. grin.gif

The neg doesn't bother me, but the fact that he lied in his retaliatory neg and the fact there is nothing in place to remove or at least put him in a position to re-phrase it bothers me. By the way, the seller was Shelby's Comix. And....he offered to exchange positives and walk away if I'd agree to it. That's not right is it? I mean if there's a possibility a buyer may get an email like this from a seller, why hide it?

I think feedback is more about service and quality of goods sold than how nice and patient the guy is. No doubt pleasantness and patience does factor in, but me personally, I could care less if the seller is patient and nice if he grades well, packs well, and ships promptly. I think that is mostly what feedback is about.

...could only think about the DD #1. Vol 2 I got that was shipped in a 9 x 12 envelope without a backer, or even a plastic bag. (Arrived with plenty of stress cracks)...

i'm confused - i guess he DIDN'T send the comic - as described above?

i'm guessing you're describing the above as a hypothetical scenario IF the seller didn't package properly?

if i got into a negative feedback war with someone - i'd make them pay dearly. i understand that you "wronged" him in that you didn't pay (and so "rightfully" deserved the neg) - but once your ID gets negged - then i think it's a no-holds barred situation.

reply to his reply and set things straight. but don't reply to his initial feedback about you - cause he could do the same (you could SNIPE a reply on day-90 though if you care enough...).

I think feedback is more about service and quality of goods sold than how nice and patient the guy is. No doubt pleasantness and patience does factor in, but me personally, I could care less if the seller is patient and nice if he grades well, packs well, and ships promptly. I think that is mostly what feedback is about.

I do think there is a big difference between a seller who may not necessarily have any charm or people skills, and one who is outright insulting and hostile. That kind of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated, even if he or she is offering excellent merchandise. Sure, I can put up with slow delivery, less than great packing, etc, up to a point, but written abuse is a no-no. Sounds like this seller missed the mark in a number of ways.

I do think there is a big difference between a seller who may not necessarily have any charm or people skills, and one who is outright insulting and hostile. That kind of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated, even if he or she is offering excellent merchandise. Sure, I can put up with slow delivery, less than great packing, etc, up to a point, but written abuse is a no-no. Sounds like this seller missed the mark in a number of ways.

He absolutely did..And I'm sure the guy is a 1st class a-hole...

I'm just saying I wouldn't have negged him.

Hmmm, yeah, I guess the power of the Neg is pretty strong stuff, and it should be used sparingly.

When it comes down to it, I think part of your point Ubi is this: Save your neg powers for a situation where someone has committed large-scale and/or outright fraud or dishonesty, and not, as in this case, someone who is just rude.

I understand ninanina's reaction, but maybe the best thing would have been not to have fired the first neg volley over the bow, and just let it go and never, ever do business with this guy again. That doesn't make the other party's exaggerated and spurious neg right, but just know it might happen when you go in first with a neg. As my grandmother used to say, learn to pick your battles.

...could only think about the DD #1. Vol 2 I got that was shipped in a 9 x 12 envelope without a backer, or even a plastic bag. (Arrived with plenty of stress cracks)...

i'm confused - i guess he DIDN'T send the comic - as described above?

i'm guessing you're describing the above as a hypothetical scenario IF the seller didn't package properly?

if i got into a negative feedback war with someone - i'd make them pay dearly. i understand that you "wronged" him in that you didn't pay (and so "rightfully" deserved the neg) - but once your ID gets negged - then i think it's a no-holds barred situation.

reply to his reply and set things straight. but don't reply to his initial feedback about you - cause he could do the same (you could SNIPE a reply on day-90 though if you care enough...).

He asked me (he was being sarcastic, but I didn't know) what color envelope I wanted him to use and said he was new at e-bay selling. So, I replied remembering what happened about a year ago when an actual "newbie" did send me a raw comic in a 9 x 12 envelope with no backer or beg (this actually happened to me and was NOT hypothetical) and in detail told him what to do to make sure I got the comics ok. His email was in reponse to that. (Hope that clears it up) grin.gif

I'm going to admit that one of my pet peeves is when a buyer tells me how to package. Not that I don't understand -- there are so many sellers who don't do it well -- but my feedback is wall to wall compliments on my shipping/packaging. One look and any buyer should know instantly that this is an area where they will not have to worry. But people are generally lazy, and don't bother to check things like that, so I get treatises on how to package, all the time.

I always check my irritation at the door, and respond politely that all will be done, and to check my feedback for further reassurance.

Maybe your seller got one email too many that told him how to do what he already does well (backed up by feedback) and just blew his stack. I'm not condoning his actions. As I said, it's imperative to put aside your irritation if you're a seller. Customer service always comes first. I'm just saying that this might be what happened.

We all have bad days, and some people need a wee bit more anger management than others. He allowed himself to go to that 'jerk' place, which was wrong. It's a shame it all had to end up with negs, but what's done is done. Explain in your own feedback, in a response, that the seller treated you rudely, and was uncooperative, and that it wasn't lack of funds. That's the best you can do now, I think.

-- Joanna

Good for you, man. thumbsup2.gif You shouldn't take [!@#%^&^] from anyone. To me, the quality of a transaction is definetly not just about recieving your items safetly, but about communication and common decency as well.

Maybe your seller got one email too many that told him how to do what he already does well (backed up by feedback) and just blew his stack. I'm not condoning his actions. As I said, it's imperative to put aside your irritation if you're a seller. Customer service always comes first. I'm just saying that this might be what happened.

But the fact that he was petty enough to leave a neg, LYING about what happened, tells me that he's got poor character all around, and it wasn't just a single outburst because of a bad day, or whatever else.

don't know why you got all upset for. If I was the seller I would have punched holes in all the boks and strung them together with those bread bag twisties. Then put the postage right on the book and used a sharpie to write your address all over the top book. He's right...all you comic buyers are so anal about your packaging...I wouldn't want to be told how to pack either. I can't believe you didn't get the "what color envelope do you want.." dig after all the sarcasm you run into here foreheadslap.gif

tongue.gif

don't know why you got all upset for. If I was the seller I would have punched holes in all the boks and strung them together with those bread bag twisties. Then put the postage right on the book and used a sharpie to write your address all over the top book. He's right...all you comic buyers are so anal about your packaging...I wouldn't want to be told how to pack either. I can't believe you didn't get the "what color envelope do you want.." dig after all the sarcasm you run into here foreheadslap.gif

tongue.gif

Well, if he didn't partner it with a "I'm new at this e-bay selling" and I didn't already get victimized by a seller who didn't know what he was doing, I probably would have got the sarcasm. And Darth........I don't believe for one minute that you would punch holes in all the books and string them together with those bread bag twisties. Then put the postage right on the book and use a sharpie to write your address all over the top book. But.....if you want to send me one that way, I'll PM you my address. I'd love to see what it looked like. grin.gif