• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marketplace Clichés...

342 posts in this topic

I've been browsing the Marketplace pretty close over the last couple months in the hope of buying something...but really haven't found much that interests me. But what I have found is that sellers are really hyping their wares. Nothing wrong with that of course but some of the hype has really been used, or overused, to the point of now being almost cliché. Some examples...

Quoting GPA for raw comics - What's the point? It's still raw...

"If it doesn't sell here, it's off to CGC" - Who cares? If it doesn't appeal to me now at your price, it's not going to in a slab....

"May be pressable" - OK, so?

"Never see it in this grade" - Well...yeah we do. We don't see it at the exact moment you're offering it. Give it time...it'll definitely show up somewhere...usually cheaper...

"CGC was tough on this when it was graded" - Then resubmit it and not attempt to have others do so on your word. It is what it is...

Those are just the obvious ones. I'm sure some of you can come up with others...

Jim

The only thing that bugs me about the Marketplace (and the VCC) are these "bad penny" books that are listed and relisted constantly (sometimes for over a year), yet *never* sell.

At some point, I wish these guys would buy a clue and either toss it in the fireplace or list it somewhere else.

As for cliches, here are some of my faves:

"Will have no problem keeping this in my collection"

"Raw NM, only three other 9.4's in Census" doh!

I've been browsing the Marketplace pretty close over the last couple months in the hope of buying something...but really haven't found much that interests me. But what I have found is that sellers are really hyping their wares. Nothing wrong with that of course but some of the hype has really been used, or overused, to the point of now being almost cliché. Some examples...

"If it doesn't sell here, it's off to CGC" - Who cares? If it doesn't appeal to me now at your price, it's not going to in a slab....

"Never see it in this grade" - Well...yeah we do. We don't see it at the exact moment you're offering it. Give it time...it'll definitely show up somewhere...usually cheaper...

"CGC was tough on this when it was graded" - Then resubmit it and not attempt to have others do so on your word. It is what it is...

Those are just the obvious ones. I'm sure some of you can come up with others...

Jim

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Couldn't agree more. The 'it's off to CGC' one always strikes me as a threat...that carries no punch. How many people will have read that and started selling off furniture and/or children to stop such a thing happening? :screwy:

What I also love to see is the ridiculous lack of patience shown by some sellers. If books haven't sold within three hours, they're frantically bumping the thread and making wholesale discounts and reductions. :screwy:

What I also love to see is the ridiculous lack of patience shown by some sellers. If books haven't sold within three hours, they're frantically bumping the thread and making wholesale discounts and reductions. :screwy:

they should keep doing that. :banana:

Jim

Some I agree and disagree on the validity of the usage and their success:

1) I agree on GPA for raw. If the book is raw, then quoting GPA does not seem fair. You can ask for whatever price you want to when raw, but I think quoting GPA does not make sense.

2) If it doesn't sell here, it's off to CGC. I agree and disagree. I've used this sparingly, and I have to tell you, it works. Most of the books that I have posted this on have all sold. Now, I do think I'm a fair grader -- and yes, of course there are books I'm sure I overgraded, but many that come back higher from CGC. For the gambler mentality, many buy my books on the low end and submit and get higher. So essentially, people can buy it before it gets too high. It's not meant to appeal to people who want the book and just are going to keep it raw -- it's those who want to submit.

3) Same thing. If you aren't a presser, telling someone it may be pressable is irrelevant. I think you'd be shocked at just how many buyers are interested in the pressability of books here on the boards and are getting books pressed. A lot of them are under the radar but that is a selling point. I don't personally press... but I have sold literally thousands of dollars worth of books based on the fact that most know all of mine haven't been worked on... and if they were so inclined... could press them up (on some).

4) You don't see it in this grade... totally legit comment. If a book is tough, it's a tough book. I'm not sure why that would seem irritating.

5) I understand your point on this one... CGC was tough on this one... the book is what it is. I think you could say, has strong eye appeal or looks real nice.

Bottom line is, one of the reasons why people use these over and over again is because they are effective. You may not understand why, but they do work.

you betcha :banana::banana:

it's off to CGC and "if it doesn't sell here it's off to eBay" :pullhair:

I always hold off then...because 99% of the time you get it cheaper there... :applause:

Jim

Not necessarily a threat, just a fact that if no one here is interested it'll go to eBay and a wider audience.

I just sold my ToS run for more than I had it listed here for. No one here was interested. (shrug)

Jim

Couldn't agree more. The 'it's off to CGC' one always strikes me as a threat...that carries no punch. How many people will have read that and started selling off furniture and/or children to stop such a thing happening? :screwy:

and how many of those times did the book(s) in question make you think, "good luck with that one, pard....," because there was on obvious reason why the book wasn't selling...., ;)

1) I agree on GPA for raw. If the book is raw, then quoting GPA does not seem fair. You can ask for whatever price you want to when raw, but I think quoting GPA does not make sense.

This is the one that ticks me off the most. If you want to quote GPA, get it slabbed first.

you betcha :banana::banana:

:whistle:

Jim

and how many of those times did the book(s) in question make you think, "good luck with that one, pard....," because there was on obvious reason why the book wasn't selling...., ;)

well... lizards... you had a Hulk 102 that sat for awhile on the boards. People didn't pull the trigger on it but there was certainly no obvious reason why it wasn't selling, it just wasn't. I bought it eventually more as a trade -- and it came back a CGC 9.4 white pager. So... if you had said, I'm subbing this, and if you want it now, great, but I have confidence in my grade but am willing to take the $ now as opposed to waiting for CGC... and of course you never know what the grade will be. I bought it, obviously it worked out. And I picked it up for much less than the cost of a slab.