• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marketplace Clichés...

342 posts in this topic

I get Roy's point.

I myself don't pay for GPA data, so the only time I know the current value of a high end book is when one of you guys posts it.

Whether or not I want to pay it is another story altogether.

It's all just used car salesman hucksterism. Feel free to ignore as necessary.

"Kenny, what do I have to do today to get you into this beautiful 1966 Amazing Spider-man?"

I don't knowww...what makes this book special?

hm

CGC in and of itself does not make the book more valuable, but their assignment of a numerical grade typically makes it easier to sell on the open market for usually a higher price than a raw book of the same grade.

Regardless of nerd-semantics, the fact remains that, as you state, CGC books (especially at NM and up) sell at "a higher price than a raw book of the same grade".

So if this is true, then you obviously think that quoting erroneous GPA data as a way to hype raw sales is wrong.

Thank God you can comprehend nerd lingo. Did one of your parents carry the nerd gene or is it an acquired trait?

People quote GPA for the same reason they furnish a litany of other information: to try and sell their book. I think as a buyer, whether here, eBay or anywhere else, one should take the time to educate themselves before they make any purchase and then they will be able to separate the BS from the apple butter regardless of hype.

It's all just used car salesman hucksterism. Feel free to ignore as necessary.

"Kenny, what do I have to do today to get you into this beautiful 1966 Amazing Spider-man?"

I don't knowww...what makes this book special?

hm

:gossip: Chicks will dig you.

I will continue to quote what a similar book sells for acc to GPA so if y'all don't like it you can just quietly pass over my posts.

(thumbs u

I'm not going to offer a $500 book for $100 just because the guide says it's worth $100. Anyone in the market for the type of books that I sell with this description will know what I am talking about and will understand. I don't use it for every book I sell but I do use it when no other reasonable data is available.

So I won't make apologies for my sales practices as I feel they are 100% in line with what people need to stay informed for any books I sell and describe that way.

It's my way of making sure a buyer is well informed.

R.

Thats an extreme end though. Should a raw book that is CGC graded and sells for $500 also be priced at $500? I don't think so. First of all, I think it makes the book much tougher to sell. Second, nobody is saying sell it for $100, but perhaps $300 is more realistic, or $350. My thought is that there is a practical side too... people need to be able to potentially win -- otherwise, why pay high asking prices for raw. I'm happy if someone makes some money off of me generally. If it happens too often, well, then I need to adjust and start slabbing more.

But, everyone is human, so when you ask GPA for your raw, I don't care who you are, including me (especially me), I'd be nervous because the downside if it comes back lower is so steep.

As for quoting GPA for raw books, I've done it and I will probably do it again. That said, I don't usually ask for GPA prices. I tend to discount the cost of slabbing the book plus a little leeway for potential disagreement by CGC. Quoting GPA is just information to a potential buyer. You have to then decide whether you trust the grade assigned by the seller and therefore, whether the GPA has any comparative value.

I get Roy's point.

I myself don't pay for GPA data, so the only time I know the current value of a high end book is when one of you guys posts it.

My problem, and a lot of other CGC forum member's, is that it's NOT valid data. GPA tracks CGC certified comic sales and ONLY CGC certified comic sales, and that is the ONLY valid sales comparison that you can make with GPA data.

It's pretty :censored: basic folks - if you want to quote comparison GPA data, get the book graded. Simple.

I have a good idea.

Why not post the book, post your grade, post your asking price and be done with it (shrug)

(thumbs u

I think that 99.9% of the books I've sold in the Marketplace have moved without a single syllable of 'blurb'.

Yeah, but you guys are magic.

Seriously, you guys, along with a few others, fall into the "I buy raw from them because they can grade" category.

Not everyone is afforded that luxury and rightfully so. I guess that means more people should learn how to grade and spend less time on using smoke, mirrors and pictures of themselves wearing lingerie.

People quote GPA for the same reason they furnish a litany of other information: to try and sell their book. I think as a buyer, whether here, eBay or anywhere else, one should take the time to educate themselves before they make any purchase and then they will be able to separate the BS from the apple butter regardless of hype.

Cool, maybe I'll start a For Sale thread where I quote Beckett Sportscard sales data to sell my raw comics. Same thing really.

I have a good idea.

Why not post the book, post your grade, post your asking price and be done with it (shrug)

(thumbs u

I think that 99.9% of the books I've sold in the Marketplace have moved without a single syllable of 'blurb'.

Fess up, you use the bold function. :baiting:

As for quoting GPA for raw books, I've done it and I will probably do it again. That said, I don't usually ask for GPA prices. I tend to discount the cost of slabbing the book plus a little leeway for potential disagreement by CGC. Quoting GPA is just information to a potential buyer. You have to then decide whether you trust the grade assigned by the seller and therefore, whether the GPA has any comparative value.

Exactly. Try and buy a raw JIM #83 or AF #15 in any grade from a con for guide. They will laugh you to the door. Those books will fetch and will sell for "GPA type" prices in any grade. Why? Because GPA is simply another type of guide.

I would never ask full GPA because I discount for slabbing, consigment fees etc, but I think most of you know this and understand my point. I'm not trying to be stubborn, just fair to both seller and buyer.

R.

Cool, maybe I'll start a For Sale thread where I quote Beckett Sportscard sales data to sell my raw comics. Same thing really.

Use whatever sales data you want. If the prices are accurate the books will sell. If not, they will sit there and gather dust.

BTW... If you start a sales thread, GACollectibles will kiss your blue eyed, blond haired, technologically superior butt.

BTW... If you start a sales thread, GACollectibles will kiss your blue eyed, blond haired, technologically superior butt.

Why? Did I miss that inside-PM joke?

Dunno, he lost me on that one. (shrug)

I'm not gonna volunteer to do it. I figured you were the most expendable, plus you're closer to Canada.

I'm not gonna volunteer to do it. I figured you were the most expendable, plus you're closer to Canada.

Yes, but you are the one with tthe fascination with men's behinds, not me. :eek: