• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And I'm wondering why they didn't sell

14 posts in this topic

Ok all you deep pocketed braggarts.

Tell me why so many of those Targets didn't sell.

Current list reserve on the Heritage site just a tad

unreasonable??????

Nope, I didn't snag a single item...............

Heritage home turf advantage????

Still wish I could have attended this mornings

event. Maybe the afternoon will be a total washout.

Maybe I can snag that All Flash 16 for a tall fin.

tonofbricks.gif

Ok all you deep pocketed braggarts.

Tell me why so many of those Targets didn't sell.

Current list reserve on the Heritage site just a tad

unreasonable??????

Nope, I didn't snag a single item...............

Heritage home turf advantage????

Still wish I could have attended this mornings

event. Maybe the afternoon will be a total washout.

Maybe I can snag that All Flash 16 for a tall fin.

tonofbricks.gif

Big reserves = NO sales

Big Reserves on NON-KEY books usually means NO SALE.

Yes, they are Mile High's but that title is IMO way down on most collectors list.

Still, I saw plenty of Golden-Age sell for higher prices than I expected.

Nice to be back on these boards again. I wish they wouldn't give out these passwords which makes it virtually impossible to remember the next time you want to sign in again.

I generally agree with your opinions regarding non-key Targets. In fact, I think this holds true for the whole Golden-Age market as a whole, and will in a few years also apply to the Silver-Age market. The only books that colletors (or investors) will continue to focus on over the long-term will be major characters who are still around, key books for non-major characters, and classic covers.

I noticed that the Target #7 which is considered to be a classic cover managed to find a buyer at $57,500 which is basically 9X the NM price. Do you think this is the result of bidders bidding up price of the book to this high price or just the case of one bidder who was willing to go one higher than the reserve price? Did Heritage also have another one for sale last year in the VF range which went for over $10 grand which comes out to 3X to 4X codition guide? Based upon these prices, is this book undervalued in the guide or is Heritage just able to find that one last buyer? Just asking since I would love to acquire a copy of this book, but ONLY at a reasonable price.

This is one of the reasons why I find it hard to use Heritage prices as a guage of the true marketplace. Is that "Sold For xxxx Price" based upon a true market bidding process or just that one last buyer willing to take that plunge of 200% more than the last bidder in order to meet the reserve price?

If you go up to the top of the page, click on the My Home tab, and then go to the bottom where it says Personal information, email, password, etc., you can change your password to something that's easier to remember.

yes. think about it and it makes sense. But it wont happen suddenly, or next week or next year. But over time, the short list of blue-chip "collectible" comics from the Silver Age will include just the major key books of just heroes remaining in the public's eye (and imaginations if not hearts) as fewer and fewer collectors are interested in runs of defunct series and heroes no longer published regularly.

In simplest terms, collectors will want Avengers 1 and 4, but not 7, 12, 23 etc (picked at random in case I hit a minor key by accident) just as many collectors today might want only an All-Star 3 and 8, but not the whole run.

I noticed that the Target #7 which is considered to be a classic cover managed to find a buyer at $57,500 which is basically 9X the NM price.

that IMO is one huge misapplication of funds.

Are there even two buyers out there who might even CONSIDER taking that book off the winner's hands someday??? I dont care if it was a 10.0!! The specific grade is meaningless above 9.0 for that book. I really dont understand paying hige multiples for GA 9.4, and better just because of the grade when there might be only three or 4 existing copies above 8.5! Its not like SA where even at 9.6 you have 4 or 5 copies to select from.

so if I paid say, $575.00 for let's say a Detective #275 ($200.00 book value) and it's the only 9.4 in the census., do you think i would have a hard time selling it letting alone getting my money back in , say 15-20 years?

Id also like nice Detectives from that era...but I wouldnt pay $575 right now for a 9.4. To me thats too much. And to pay that premium for "top census" relates to my comment about the Targets in 9.6. That is, given the demand, the premiums for the really high, scarcer grades, today sell (often to the unititiated) for vast multiples are bad purchases. The multiples for the 9.6 Targets are the problem. A 9.6 shouldnt sel for twice that of a 9.4 if there IS no 9.4, just the freakishly well-preserved 9.6.

Back to your Detective 275, though, here's how I see things falling off: first, lesser demand for older book starring defunct heroes. Look at most of the Golden Age. How many fewer GA Daredevil collectors are ther e today compared to SA Daredevil collectors? How about The Flame? Red Raven? Masked Marvel etc etc (Im not insulting those of you here who DO collect these books...but even your select club acknowledges your minority status...not that there is anything wrong with that!)

So Detective Comics will have completists for awhile yet because Batman will still be around in 50 years! But My Greatest Adventures from that same month? Tales of the Unexpected? Tomahawks? Blackhawks? See where Im going? To me already, I'd want a nice MGA 1 and 80. Unexpected 1 and 40. Tomahawks? welll, Neal Adams issues. Blackhawks? Just the 108, please. At some point, Batman comics collectors will just want the keys, too.

So no I wouldnt pay 575 today for the 9.4 #275, but will you be okay on 15-20 years? Yes. Probably in only a few years, since youre only paying about 2.75x guide, which has usually been the high multiple for pedigrees over other nice "NM" copies and Overstreet will catch up most (if not all) of that within 5 years.

But its sale value to you in that time wont triple - - you wont be selling it for $1575!!!! But you'll get your money out.

But that wouldnt really be a good investment, would it?

I think Aman's words of wisdom are very wise. You will be able to get your money back out IN TIME if you hold onto the books long enough. This is a direct result of the outlandish multiples which you have to pay at this point in time for high-grade CGC books.

You will probably not be able to realize a significant gain based upon the current CGC market price. Overstreet, however, will still continue to show a nice positive return on a year-over-year basis since they always seem to lag the market.

If you are buying from a pure investment point of view, the trick is to buy what is currently not in vogue but has the potential to regain some popularity in the foreseeable future. This would most obviously include restored books which are currently so despised in the marketplace that they are selling for multiple discounts to guide. It would probably be safer to stick to slight restoration only and also limit yourself to Golden-Age books.

I strongly believe that slightly restored GA books will be view in a more positive light once collectors realize how truly rare some of these books are.