• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The better investment lowgrade CGC AF15 2.0 or highgrade CGC HULK 181 in future?

CGC high-grade WOLVERINE key vs CGC low grade. Spider-man key  

219 members have voted

1. 1. CGC high-grade WOLVERINE key vs CGC low grade. Spider-man key

29 posts in this topic

I said AF 15.

You can easily get a mid or low grade IH 181 at any time for less than $400. Which makes the market of buyers who just want to own a copy easy to satisfy. I believe I paid about $200 for mine awhile ago.

But the market of buyers who just want to own a copy of AF 15 will be fighting over those low grade copies. Especially with the mid-grade copies starting to get really expensive, the low grade copies will start to see in increase in competition. A lot of collectors are starting to realize these are the best copies they can afford.

I do think the recent Wolverine bump is simply due to movie hype. It's almost like we comic collectors are causing it now instead of new collectors excited about a character after watching the movie. (For example, mainstream people don't even know there's an Avengers/Captain America movie coming and look at Avengers #4 sales on eBay.) We've become conditioned to drive these prices up on ourselves whenever a new moive is on the horizon. Nowadays, if you buy a movie hyped book while the movie is in the theaters your going to take a loss. 2c So it better be a book you wanted to keep, and you just couldn't wait another 6 months to own.

However, AF 15 is one of the few books to continue to rise in value after the movies were done. That's speaks to the characters popularity and demand in general.

It comes down to basic economics of supply and demand. What's going to change to increase the value? Will supply go down, or will demand go up?

Supply is not going to change on either book. They are collectibles and they can't make more, so it comes to demand.

IH 181: Lots of copies are available in low/mid-grade. Will there be a sudden increase in high grade collectors? Or are they already in the hobby collecting as we speak? Possibly, driving the prices up simply because they are conditioned to pay more around "movie time?"

AF 15: Demand on this book is alway increasing. Every new collector that likes Spidey, especially on a budget will be looking at the low grade.

Low grade AF 15 has a better chance for an increase in demand than high grade IH 181. imho