• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UFC Tonight

22 posts in this topic

Thrilled that Alves won - he's the real deal

The issue with Alves is that he rarely makes weight, and when he does, by the time the fight rolls around a couple of days later, he's ballooned back and enters the ring at around 185-190 - same as a light heavyweight. Koschek, a true MW, looked like a stringbean next to him.

Alves is a stumpy MW, who walks around as a LHW, and starves/mass-dehydrates himself to compete in WW, then eats a few steak dinners and gorges on supplement drinks the minute after the weigh-in.

I don't know if even GSP can handle a light-heavyweight fighter. (shrug)

Thrilled that Alves won - he's the real deal

The issue with Alves is that he rarely makes weight, and when he does, by the time the fight rolls around a couple of days later, he's ballooned back and enters the ring at around 185-190 - same as a light heavyweight. Koschek, a true MW, looked like a stringbean next to him.

Alves is a stumpy MW, who walks around as a LHW, and starves/mass-dehydrates himself to compete in WW, then eats a few steak dinners and gorges on supplement drinks the minute after the weigh-in.

I don't know if even GSP can handle a light-heavyweight fighter. (shrug)

True, Alves is a huge WW. However (and this coming from someone who used to wrestle and has experience in cutting weight) the starvation/dehydration routine Alves engages in probably takes as much away from his fight (if not more) than any slight weight advantage would give him. Although he looked good and conditioned, he probably was fighting at 80-85%. GSP, on the other hand, appears to be a true WW, you never hear about weight cutting issues with him, and I personally believe he will pick Alves apart on his feet. Fitch is also really a true MW, and look what GSP did to him. If Alves was scared to wrestle with Josh, there is no way he will go to the ground with GSP - who is a better wrestle than Josh and would dominate him with the jiu jitsu.