• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Hero for Hire #1 went for $3K in CGC 9.6

101 posts in this topic

My 9.2 just sold for $285. I guess a 9.6 is worth more than 10 times a 9.2 :shrug:

That's the exact price--285--I bought one for in 9.2 a few months ago.

Three grand. :whistle: High grade fever, I'd say--and the ol' tuff black cover. I'd buy a slabbed 4.0 to 5.0 ASM #1 instead. But this proves that if Luke Cage wasn't getting any respect for a while, things have changed.

...that wasn't the first time HFH1 9.6 hit that mark just for the record.

The truly "relatively" scarce (mostly black cover) bronze keys in 9.6 have been moving upward.

The MTU 1 9.6 came close to 3K as well and of course MS 5 in 9.6 is close to doubling that mark.

Ghost Rider 1 in 9.6 has not moved much though due to more available copies overall.

Also AA 11... same deal, there are enough available (and routinely for sale) to prevent battles to obtain them and thus keep a spike from happening.

...that wasn't the first time HFH1 9.6 hit that mark just for the record.

The truly "relatively" scarce (mostly black cover) bronze keys in 9.6 have been moving upward.

The MTU 1 9.6 came close to 3K as well and of course MS 5 in 9.6 is close to doubling that mark.

Ghost Rider 1 in 9.6 has not moved much though due to more available copies overall.

Also AA 11... same deal, there are enough available (and routinely for sale) to prevent battles to obtain them and thus keep a spike from happening.

The Bronze Age guru speaketh. :hail:

Are there really that many NM AA #11's out there? I've yet to see any above a nice VF. Maybe it's a regional thing (I'm in SoCal)?

17 AA11 in 9.6

19 HFH 1 in 9.6

Personally, i think the HFH is in higher demand, but i am biased towards #1s. I see far more nice raw copies (8.5-9.2) of AA11 than HFH 1. I look at most of the HFH #1s at the conventions I go to and most of them are doggers. Both books, IMHO, have been hard to find raw in true high grade since the 80's.

Are there really that many NM AA #11's out there? I've yet to see any above a nice VF. Maybe it's a regional thing (I'm in SoCal)?

17 AA11 in 9.6

19 HFH 1 in 9.6

Personally, i think the HFH is in higher demand, but i am biased towards #1s. I see far more nice raw copies (8.5-9.2) of AA11 than HFH 1. I look at most of the HFH #1s at the conventions I go to and most of them are doggers. Both books, IMHO, have been hard to find raw in true high grade since the 80's.

hm Interesting...

What we're seeing here is an example of "true" vs. "perceived" supply and how much that may influence "demand". According to Sean's research... the census shows (2) more HFH 1s in 9.6, yet that was not my impression (nor the market's I'm guessing) off the top of my head without checking.

That because "availability" is the real issue. My conclusion after seeing Sean's post and before checking the number of GPA transactions was that far more owners of HFH 1's are holding the books and there are less copies being sold/flipped (or sitting unsold on sites) giving the impression that there are more AA11's... when there's really not from a census perspective.

AA 11 9.6 (10) GPA recorded transactions since 2006.

(6) in 2006, (1) 2007 and (3) 2008

(with 2 copies sitting up on Pedigree unsold forever)

HFH 1 9.6 (7) GPA recorded transactions since 2006

(2) in 2006, (1) 2007 and (4) 2008

(don't recall any major websites with a 9.6 sitting for any length of time unsold)

all I can say is I think AA11 is 10x the book. OK the interiors are dogmeat but its one of the standout covers of the BA.

The cover is a classic no doubt... a Kane masterpiece.

Don't forget though as far as evaluating keys... AA11 is a well-known character just changing color and hair content essentially (not too terribly more dramatic from Wolverine losing/gaining his adamantium claws)... HFH 1 is the 1st Appearance and Origin of a new character.

[

What we're seeing here is an example of "true" vs. "perceived" supply and how much that may influence "demand". According to Sean's research... the census shows (2) more HFH 1s in 9.6, yet that was not my impression (nor the market's I'm guessing) off the top of my head without checking.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the census report. 19 copies!!! I would have guessed between 5 and 10 copies of HFH 1 in 9.6. I'm too lazy to check the Registry but I bet Mark, Sullypython and G_T all have 9.6s. For some reason, I think Darkness_Weaves has the 9.8. I would have guessed 3 or 4 more 9.6s, buried deep in collections. It just is not a book that shows up often.

Hows this for high grade CGC bronze age numbers and facts!!!------there are 18 Man-thing #1s CGC census graded in 9.8!!!, 52 in CGC 9.6!!! and 53 in CGC 9.4!!! I kid you not folks!(just fainted). So my question to all is how much is a Man-thing #1 in CGC 9.8 worth or would you pay for one in 9.8 grade???

No way, AA 11 is one of the most overrated Bronze Age books in terms of importance and value.

hero for hire 1 is a steaming pile of dogcrap. :news:

fact is they are both unimportant books. There aren't many important bronze books period. And at least one of these duds has a killer cover. Its that simple. :gossip:

No way, AA 11 is one of the most overrated Bronze Age books in terms of importance and value.

hero for hire 1 is a steaming pile of dogcrap. :news:

fact is they are both incredibly unimportant books. At least one has a nice cover. Its that simple. :gossip:

Wow, I don't usually comment in this forum . . . but HFH#1 is THE most significant BA book after CTB #1 freakin' hands down - best story, best character, best art freak that Krappy IH #181 what a POS!

:acclaim:

I bought two copies of that book off my local spinner rack the week it came out. Sold them (along with my entire SA collection) when I was 15 so I could buy a new bike. It is a great book. But that price is just insane.