• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Silver Age 9.9!

51 posts in this topic

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE CONDITION ON A 1964 MARVEL AND AN EXTREMELY TOUGH ISSUE OF TOS

wow!!!!

i wonder who the lucky owner of that book is and what it would bring if it went for auction $10-15K???

never seen a 9.4 copy of that book, remember a few 9.0 and 9.2's but nothing higher

I own none. Andrew Knight bought a 9.9 copy of X-Men 148 that I wouldn't mind having. For a week or two I thought about buying one just to see if I could find any defects on them, but I've seen enough scans on 10.0s with very slight printing problems to get an extremely rough feel for what they will allow in that grade. If I bought one now it'd have to be on a title I collect, not just a 9.9 for the sake of owning a 9.9. There are a bunch of Fantastic Four issues between 200 and 300 I'd love to have a 9.9/10.0 for that shouldn't run TOO far thru the roof.

Hate to do it, but here it is...THE TRANSLUCENCY IS BUGGING ME!!! Look at how you can see the advertisement on the interior front cover showing through the "S" in the "Suspense" title...I find that quite annoying and it makes me think "it's a 9.9, *BUT* ...."

Ever since Banner demonstrated that the white microchamber paper CGC puts behind the front cover actually enhances the translucency effect, it's pretty much impossible for me to place any kind of measurement at all on how bad translucency is on any CGC slabbed comic.

Actually i have a slabbed j.l.a. 261 that came back a 9.4 that is pretty much translucent throughout the entire cover. shocked me, i was expecting a 9.0. Wonder though, does cgc deduct at all for any type of translucency and is there an actual term in regards to it? cool.gif

Overstreet calls it transparency, but the more accurate term is translucency. I don't know that CGC downgrades for it at all; Overstreet doesn't explicitly say you should and defines the term "transparent cover" as "The printing on the inside front cover is visible (to varying degrees) from the outside cover. This is not always considered a defect."

I don't see how you can call it anything BUT a defect...it's so UGLY! Back when Banner demonstrated that white paper placed behind the cover made translucency look terrible and black paper actually made it look less severe, Borock said he'd look into getting gray-colored microchamber paper...wonder if he ever tried or found any.

I wonder, how many board members here actually own a 9.9 or a 10 of a comic from any age? It would be cool to find out what percentage of census 9.9 and 10's are owned by this small percentage of the comic collecting populace. cool.gif

There are currently 350 CGC 10.0 graded books...

Only 144 are from 1995 or earlier...

I own two of those... grin.gif

Well, to be honest ff, i dont neccesarily see it as a defect. Its obviously a mentionable variable in the comics grade regarding its resalability, but it in no way affects the comics condition. I agree though it can be somewhat distracting regarding a books so called "eye appeal." Im curious though if this is just a normally occuring effect of a book with some age on it, or possibely it might even be due to poorer quality paper used in the printing process? cool.gif

Its obviously a mentionable variable in the comics grade regarding its resalability, but it in no way affects the comics condition.

If you had a choice between two identical copies of an issue, EXACT same condition in every respect except one was translucent and one wasn't, which would you pick?

Didn't we already determine a while back that the microfiber paper placed in between the cover and the first page contributes to most of the translucency? It doesn't really both me much unless the cover is totally transparent. tongue.gif

Brian

Im curious though if this is just a normally occuring effect of a book with some age on it, or possibely it might even be due to poorer quality paper used in the printing process? cool.gif

Tracey Heft told me it's caused by both. He says that translucency is caused by oil in the ink from the first page seeping into the cover due to frequent humidity and temperature changes over time. This makes it related to storage/environment, but it's also worse on some issues if the amount of ink applied to the first page is heavy. One would assume that the amount of ink applied to a comic varies as the printing presses run, similar to the way a toner or inkjet cartridge in a computer printer gets lighter as it gets closer and closer to empty.

The fact that translucency is caused by oil ink makes sense to me...if you wipe up spilled cooking oil--or even just water--with a paper towel, it also becomes translucent.

Didn't we already determine a while back that the microfiber paper placed in between the cover and the first page contributes to most of the translucency? It doesn't really both me much unless the cover is totally transparent. tongue.gif

It is enhanced by the white paper but not caused by it; it's still there on many issues with or without the microchamber paper. If I can see the interior stuff from the first page it bugs the [!@#%^&^] out of me. The aesthetics of this CGC 9.6 are definitely affected adversely by translucency!

XMen1_96.jpg