• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW PAC COAST TOS BOOKS ON CGC GALLERY

28 posts in this topic

After you brought up PCEI, I went to look at their site as I totally forgot about them (mostly because their prices are out of touch with reality). Well they must've added a new column as there's one that says "NM" now. It's funny to look over there listings the first column is there ask and 2nd is NM. Some funny examples they have. ASM 142 CGC 9.2 ASK 150 NM 35 dollars... or how about..Batman CGC 9.4 ASK 10,000 NM 525 dollars. Their prices are all out of whack, does anyone even buy from them anymore..? Anyone..??

Brian

the owner of the curator ff's which are apparently as amazing as the spideys the godfather owns has no plans on slabbing them i believe

Yep. Either John Hauser or Brulato got CGC to recognize the pedigree, but a bunch of the collection was sold before Hauser got to it. Hauser thinks the original owner started collecting at some point in the late 50s/early 60s, collected backwards and got all or most of the major Golden Age comics to be had, and bought all the Marvels and DCs off the stands. All the Golden Age, the DCs, most of the Bronze Marvels/DCs, and several Silver Marvel titles were sold off before Hauser met the original owner. Hauser thinks the FF 1 has bounced around a bit, but the 2-100 went to a comic creator who is affluent enough to probably not have a reason to sell anytime soon.

The books you sent in probably just weren't nice enough to crack 9.6. The deceptive thing about the cgc holder is that REALLY high grade books actually look nicer out of the holder - you see that hint of a stress mark when the book is encapsulated but you don't see the positives, like blinding gloss, vibrant colors, etc.. those positive attributes are muted by the holder much more so than the negatives are. So you may be sending in books that to you look as nice as 9.6s that - aren't

This theory would hold water if I was some newbie who didn't have a clue as to grading. But, I've been buying high grade books from various dealers for over a decade, so I certainly don't need a CGC sample to verify what a NM+ is and is not. Besides, I've seen many CGC 9.6s that have minute spine stress, or other slight wear that automatically disqualifies it from being a NM+ in my opinion. The books I'm talking about were unread, unopened, warehouse books without a trace of wear, lots of gloss & high page quality, handpicked because I genuinely thought they would be 9.6-9.9s. No such luck, and I really don't know how much better a book could be for it to qualify to be a 9.6 or better.

I really wish I had held onto them, just to compare them with some of the 9.4s I've been buying recently.

I mean no offense, it's just that your expectations for your books seem awfully high.

I understand, and you are right, my expectations were pretty high. I shake my head every time I see a questionable 9.6 that I know is a half grade lower then the books I submitted. My main frustration centers around the ole CGC inconsistency....at times strict, at times loose....its the main reason I've cut back on my submissions.