• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oily fingerprint smudges on glossy black covers

4 posts in this topic

Is there any way to safely remove them? Something that wouldn't be considered restoration?

This question has been asked once before on the boards.. but the only answers were (paraphrased) 1) q-tip and solvent.. maybe? or 2) send it to Matt Wilson.

Anyone try to remove these yourself with any success?

I'd experiment on some useless drek first. See what works the best and does the least amount of damage. Hopefully no damage will be done at all. If it is detectable. You may want a pro like Matt to do his best for you. Is this a key/high grade book? If it is. I would have a pro do the work. There would be less of a chance of it being detectable. The last thing you want to do is turn it into a restored book!!

Is there any way to safely remove them? Something that wouldn't be considered restoration?

This question has been asked once before on the boards.. but the only answers were (paraphrased) 1) q-tip and solvent.. maybe? or 2) send it to Matt Wilson.

Anyone try to remove these yourself with any success?

Let's see if I can get this right . . . :)

No, No.

No, (shrug)

No.

And in case I missed anything: NO :makepoint:

Hi,

It is Matt Nelson @ comics@classicsincorporated.com he is a great guy and resource and will tell you straight up if there is anything he can do.

Classics Incorporated

1440 Halsey Way (Venture Building)

Suite #114

Carrollton, TX 75007

http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZNxmk572PRUS%2526i%253D8%252F8%255F1%255F221%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html' target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com