• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I guess these bidders don't read the credit crunch threads?

21 posts in this topic

It's probably because they read the "reserve not met" first. :roflmao:

Thrill Bidding? (shrug)

Shill Bidding? hm

Some sort of combo? doh!

It can't be because the pages are worth that much...you have to get out a microscope to find the surfer on those pages.

C

I don't think people 'thrill' bid at that level...especially if you think there may be 'shill' bidding.... after all, your next bid could meet the reserve...*gulp*.

Nah.. this is ebay, even if you hit the reserve, you can always retract your bid. What's the worse that can happen? You show a bid retraction in your profile, whopee, better than forking out 42K that you don't have!

Malvin

As far as I can tell from the small scans, there are eleven (11) images of the Surfer in those pages.

One really good panel, and about two more panels where the Surfer is using his powers.

In this economy 42K seems somewhat aggressive. But then again, a single great Surfer page can fetch a good amount to the right collector.

We live in interesting times.

- A

'In this economy'....? I have neither seen nor heard of any easing of comic art prices asked or sold due to the freak out in the financial markets. In fact, quite the contrary, prices for almost everything I am looking at are escalating or at least strong. I'll go one step further, I think most OA collectors are quietly patting themselves on the back right now as they think about all that OA money that they could have wasted in the stock market! DF

True.... :sick:

I don't think people 'thrill' bid at that level...especially if you think there may be 'shill' bidding.... after all, your next bid could meet the reserve...*gulp*.

Nah.. this is ebay, even if you hit the reserve, you can always retract your bid. What's the worse that can happen? You show a bid retraction in your profile, whopee, better than forking out 42K that you don't have!

Malvin

True.... :blush:

Unless you've asked for and received confirmation of the reserve price hm

'In this economy'....? I have neither seen nor heard of any easing of comic art prices asked or sold due to the freak out in the financial markets. In fact, quite the contrary, prices for almost everything I am looking at are escalating or at least strong. I'll go one step further, I think most OA collectors are quietly patting themselves on the back right now as they think about all that OA money that they could have wasted in the stock market! DF

Dan -

There are many people on these boards who are far more versed in the economic impact that the "freak out" in the financial markets may have on original art markets, comic or otherwise. And those topics have been thoroughly vetted on these boards and throughout the internet. I don't have anything to add to the economic analysis.

My comment was more related to something called the "wealth effect" which is more of a phenomenon of perspective. It is my understanding that after suffering an economic loss, whether it be real or paper, people perceive their wealth differently and make different purchasing decisions accordingly. So, for example, the lines at the gourmet supermarket are alot shorter than they used to be before the financial market meltdown. In addition, the demand for gasoline is much lower than it used to be, which has contributed to the plummeting price of oil, and has apparently led to some relief at the gas pump.

Part of these changes may be due to people's perceptions of their own financial status (the wealth effect) and how much of their discretionary income they would like to spend. While I am sure that many people are happy with their OA purchases, it may be the case that after losing some amount of money in the stock market over the last few weeks, there may be a shorter line of people who are interested in buying certain Buscema Silver Surfer pages than there were before the meltdown (such as it is) in the financial markets.

Hopefully this clarified the intent of my comment as being one that relates to general perspective based on other visible purchasing decisions in the marketplace rather than a comment on the wisdom of any individual's purchasing decisions with respect to OA versus stock investments.

Best regards.

- A

Geez

Do we really have to go over these same issues over and over again ???

To summarize - some people think the current economic climate will lead to increasingly higher prices paid for prime original comic art due to the safety in storing money in hard assets like OA

On the other hand, some people think comic art is a mere "luxury" and all assets that are not essential will fall in price in a deflationary environment

Why do we have to keep asking the same questions over and over and over and over - with just slight nuanced variations of the same question ? ? ?

Lets just leave it alone at this point and adjourn for a few years before we ask the question ......

yet again

sheesh

Dan -

There are many people on these boards who are far more versed in the economic impact that the "freak out" in the financial markets may have on original art markets, comic or otherwise. And those topics have been thoroughly vetted on these boards and throughout the internet. I don't have anything to add to the economic analysis.

In the words of Joe Biden...' that's a joke, right?'. Actually, I don't know of anyone on these boards who is versed on the econ impact on our hobby. Don't sell yourself short; I think your opinion is just as relevant as anyone's here.

My comment was more related to something called the "wealth effect" which is more of a phenomenon of perspective. It is my understanding that after suffering an economic loss, whether it be real or paper, people perceive their wealth differently and make different purchasing decisions accordingly. So, for example, the lines at the gourmet supermarket are alot shorter than they used to be before the financial market meltdown. In addition, the demand for gasoline is much lower than it used to be, which has contributed to the plummeting price of oil, and has apparently led to some relief at the gas pump.

Part of these changes may be due to people's perceptions of their own financial status (the wealth effect) and how much of their discretionary income they would like to spend. While I am sure that many people are happy with their OA purchases, it may be the case that after losing some amount of money in the stock market over the last few weeks, there may be a shorter line of people who are interested in buying certain Buscema Silver Surfer pages than there were before the meltdown (such as it is) in the financial markets.

Or, they may seek out tangible collectibles as a refuge from the undulating financial markets.... time will tell.

Hopefully this clarified the intent of my comment as being one that relates to general perspective based on other visible purchasing decisions in the marketplace rather than a comment on the wisdom of any individual's purchasing decisions with respect to OA versus stock investments.

I just think we have to be careful jumping to quick conclusions, because there are many variables beyond anecdotal means to clarify or quantify.

Best regards.

- A

To summarize - some people think the current economic climate will lead to increasingly higher prices paid for prime original comic art due to the safety in storing money in hard assets like OA

On the other hand, some people think comic art is a mere "luxury" and all assets that are not essential will fall in price in a deflationary environment

Kree-

I think you summed it up rather nicely.

But to be honest, I think that it is sometimes interesting to read people thinking aloud (as it were) on the boards and getting different perspectives (or guesses) as to what will happen.

Best regards.

- A

Dan -

Thanks for your clarifications.

One thing more thing however. My initial comment was just an observation as to what I thought was aggressive bidding for certain OA "in this economy." My next post tried to explain what I meant by "in this economy" because it seemed as if the clause was misunderstood.

Other than asserting my opinion about what appears to be aggressive bidding in one auction, I did not really state any "conclusions" about what will happen or will not happen in the future, because if I knew that, I wouldn't be fooling around on these boards. ;)

Best regards.

- A

Now at $57k. :screwy:

Don't get me wrong, I like Buscema, and I really like Buscema on the Silver Surfer, but these pages are pretty uninspiring to me. Maybe it's the Adkins inks, and maybe it's the subject matter of druids and a poorly rendered Abomination with little cosmic surfer content, but I just don't get that price point at all, reserve or no reserve. (shrug)

I could see if it these were primo pages of the Surfer battling Thor or Mephisto. But most of these pages I would think individually wouldn't bring more than a couple grand. hm

(shrug)

Now at $57k. :screwy:

Don't get me wrong, I like Buscema, and I really like Buscema on the Silver Surfer, but these pages are pretty uninspiring to me. Maybe it's the Adkins inks, and maybe it's the subject matter of druids and a poorly rendered Abomination with little cosmic surfer content, but I just don't get that price point at all, reserve or no reserve. (shrug)

I could see if it these were primo pages of the Surfer battling Thor or Mephisto. But most of these pages I would think individually wouldn't bring more than a couple grand. hm

(shrug)

I agree, I was watching just out of curiosity but wow what a price and still reserve not met.

Guy that bought them must have saved his McDonalds pay checks for months, maybe even years. I hope he has a nice place to display them in his mom's basement.

There are probably Trekkie boards where they make the same comments about those nerdy comic collectors! lol