• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Col. Clink Query

49 posts in this topic

lol Greggy uses psychology as a counter offer. He doesn't give an amount, just says plays on your guilt over the asking price.

I'm sure there's a logical explanation for those books I saw reappearing; I just found it odd that the ones I didn't bid on or win turned up that way.

greggy was willing to pay your asking price. Not my fault you wimped out and lowered your asking price. :screwy:

For trying to be nice I get ":screwy:" ?

Whatever, dude.

:sorry:

My Registry Set listing:

X-Men #101 Universal

Grade: 9.8

Page Quality:OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Owner: DrWatson

Owner's Description:

One of my favorite X-Men books of all time. This book came from the wilds of Vancouver and when you pull it's string, it's says, "Dork." This is the only book that I will be acquiring from the Greggy Bent Me Over Collection. Thanks, Greg.

:acclaim:

This is like day trading with comics.

This happens too much with Comiclink auctions to merely be opportunistic flippers. There is shilling going on or outright buying and flipping by the owners. The fact we don't know, and either case is an individual_without_enough_empathy move, just reinforces the "buyer beware" mantra when using Comiclink.

Jim

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset with the consignment sites for listing books at silly prices. It's the people listing them that I often wonder about...

I've never actually sold through consignment sites, but don't they just take a percentage off the sale? I assumed that they would advise their clientele regarding pricing. After all, wouldn't it be in their best interest to have books flying off the shelves at realistic asking prices rather than gathering dust at multiple GPA price levels... :shrug:

Guys like Josh and Doug can't coach 1000's of people on how to price their books. They run a consignment site. It's up to the consignor to set the price. I think it's be impossible to interact with all consignors, though I'm sure if someone placed an email or a phone call their question would get an answer.

R.

Perhaps they did not meet a reserve.

This happens all the time with the artwork in the auctions. If they don't meet reserve the art winds up in the Art exchange section right away.

If that's the case then don't list it in an auction...there was nothing in the auction indicating a reserve...

And don't as a consignment site let them relist the item...it just ruins their credibility as an auction website and fosters abuse of their auction format...

Jim

This happens too much with Comiclink auctions to merely be opportunistic flippers. There is shilling going on or outright buying and flipping by the owners. The fact we don't know, and either case is an individual_without_enough_empathy move, just reinforces the "buyer beware" mantra when using Comiclink.

Jim

Why would you say that Jim? Why is flipping a book an azzhole move? Because someone was in the right place at the right time? Because someone has a "sook" mentality and knows how to make a buck? Anybody in sales is a flipper...buy low/wholesale, sell hi/retail. It's a beautiful thing when someone needs a commodity and someone else can provide it.

I know FOR A FACT several people who buy on one sight and flip on another and are respected board members (well maybe not respected by you, but who can live up to your standards, now?) and honest people.

Sometimes you have the same books listed on more than one sight. Sometimes you have them flipped fast enough to make your head spin. Who the cares?

It's certainly not Comiclink's or Pedigree's or Comiconnect's or Heritage's problem to police someone who is flipping their new bought book.

It's also hard for them to prove if let's say some guy has his bud shilling an auction up. Since we're not in a perfect world and like this sometimes happens (not just in comics but in every aspect of life) then anyone bidding should pay what they are comfortable paying and then there can be no complaints.

Seriously.

Jim

Why would you say that Jim? Why is flipping a book an azzhole move? Because someone was in the right place at the right time? Because someone has a "sook" mentality and knows how to make a buck? Anybody in sales is a flipper...buy low/wholesale, sell hi/retail. It's a beautiful thing when someone needs a commodity and someone else can provide it.

I know FOR A FACT several people who buy on one sight and flip on another and are respected board members (well maybe not respected by you, but who can live up to your standards, now?) and honest people.

Sometimes you have the same books listed on more than one sight. Sometimes you have them flipped fast enough to make your head spin. Who the cares?

It's certainly not Comiclink's or Pedigree's or Comiconnect's or Heritage's problem to police someone who is flipping their new bought book.

It's also hard for them to prove if let's say some guy has his bud shilling an auction up. Since we're not in a perfect world and like this sometimes happens (not just in comics but in every aspect of life) then anyone bidding should pay what they are comfortable paying and then there can be no complaints.

Seriously.

Whoa...I obviously hit a nerve...

What I was referring to was the individual_without_enough_empathy who offer a comic with no reserve and shills the auction and immediately offers the comic on the Buy it Now portion of the site when the offer wasn't to their liking...please tell me you're not condoning this activity?

And if it's the "SAME" comic, it's in Comiclink best interests to NOT let someone immediately relist the comic. Keeps their complicity, i.e. buying it themselves, to a minimum as well as not tainting their auctions as a group of "let's see what the market will bear with no notion of selling" shilling ....

Jim

What I was referring to was the individual_without_enough_empathy who offer a comic with no reserve and shill the auction and immediately offer the comic on the Buy it Now portion of the site when the offer wasn't to their liking...please tell me you're not condoning this activity?

I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about just straight flippers. I definitely do not condone fraud.

(thumbs u

This happens all the time with the artwork in the auctions. If they don't meet reserve the art winds up in the Art exchange section right away.

If that's the case then don't list it in an auction...there was nothing in the auction indicating a reserve...

And don't as a consignment site let them relist the item...it just ruins their credibility as an auction website and fosters abuse of their auction format...

Jim

Jim,

There were no reserves on any lots in the eBetter Auctions - at all. The books that are being reposted on ComicLink, are being reposted by the *buyers*, not the sellers, and not ComicLink. I don't see what is wrong with buying books at auction for prices you think are good deals, and then trying to mark them up to make a profit. It happens all the time and is the nature of any free market commodity.

-Josh

Jim

Jim,

There were no reserves on any lots in the eBetter Auctions - at all. The books that are being reposted on ComicLink, are being reposted by the *buyers*, not the sellers, and not ComicLink. I don't see what is wrong with buying books at auction for prices you think are good deals, and then trying to mark them up to make a profit. It happens all the time and is the nature of any free market commodity.

-Josh

To be clear.....

I can buy a book on your site......and have you relist the book the next day?

How would that fly if you haven't paid for it?

Not sure I understand your question. I win the book...send payment...ask Josh to relist the book.

In that case I would see nothing wrong with it.

How would that fly if you haven't paid for it?

Not sure I understand your question. I win the book...send payment...ask Josh to relist the book.

In that case I would see nothing wrong with it.

I didn't place judgement. Just wanted to know how it works.