• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Gibbons at the World's Biggest Bookstore in Toronto Nov 2/08

24 posts in this topic

Artist and writer DAVE GIBBONS (Watchmen) is appearing on Sunday, November 2nd at Toronto, Canada's WORLD'S BIGGEST BOOKSTORE on Edward Street (one block north of Dundas and 1/2 block west of Yonge) from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM.

There will be a short on-stage interview between Gibbons and Space's Mark Askwith, followed by a signing.

I'm not accepting submissions in advance, as there will assuredly be signing limits enforced by the store --- what they are will depend on the size of the crowd. Mr. Gibbons will not be sketching, or so I've been told.

However, as I will be there in person at this event, I am certainly willing to Witness and accept books from people who want to line up and meet Mr. Gibbons and get their books signed for the prestigious Signature Series label.

If this is of interest to you, please PM me in advance so I know to keep an eye out for you.

He's definitely in town to promote the new Watching the Watchmen book for Random House (and Titan Books), which is available at bookstores only at the moment --- Diamond hasn't shipped it to comic shops yet, which is definitely annoying to those of us who order books from a comics retailer, and to the retailers themselves that carry the book.

The WBBS site is saying "no outside memorabilia", but a few people have spoken to various organizers and they are certainly expecting that people will be bringing Watchmen comics and books (Absolute Watchmen, the Watchmen trade) and other books (Green Lantern, World's Finest, The Originals) --- so basically what they are saying is priority will be given to people who buy the Watching the Watchmen book and books purchased at the store. Watching the Watchmen books will all be signed no matter what. Other items --- depends on the crowds and his time.

This has not been very widely advertised or promoted anywhere in the city other than a small sign in their store and a little blurb on the website so they don't know what to expect.

I saw that but I never understand why people will sometimes post about events/signings/shows and not provide a simple link :baiting:. :-)

I called the store last week and they mentioned the same thing...books purchased at the store or Watching the Watchmen would be given priority. I was told "No comic books." Doesn't hurt to try though because that person may not be there on Sunday :devil:

Saw a copy of the book at the Beguiling on Tuesday night...looks gorgeous

As the WBBS is across the street from the post office, I walked by on my way back from the post office to my office. They do have a stand near the entrance advertising the signing, as well as a bunch of copies of both Watchmen and Watching the Watchmen lining the windows in front of the store.

To address the "no outside memorabilia" again --- this is basically a warning to people NOT to show up with boxes of comics to get signed, as some people do bring boxes of books to comic shows and other events. hm One or two comics isn't going to be a huge issue unless the line is huge.

They expect people will buy the new Watching book and bring their copy of Absolute Watchmen or the trade with them to get signed instead of buying another copy, although I'm sure they'd like more people to buy another copy. Again, I don't think anyone knows what to expect.

I'm buying a Watching HC for a friend who can't attend.

Worst case scenario is this... if they don't agree to let him sign one or two comics at the store signing for a person... then I'll talk to one of the organizers about whether or not he will sign a few after it's over, I'm seeing Gibbons later that night at a private reception anyway.

Wasn't meant to be snide Kev and it definitely wasn't aimed solely at you. I thought that the emoticons would have shown that. Just a pet peeve of mine and poorly worded. No harm was meant on my end. My apologies if you thought otherwise. As my punishment you can bash me over the head with one or two of your Absolute Watchmen on Sunday if you'd like.

And before Alex can ask, yes Alex, you can 'witness' this event if you'd like.

P.S. Can we take bets on who shows up with boxes of Watchmen to sign, then ends up holding up the line because they complain that the signs weren't clear enough?

No worries. Came across differently to me, and I was a little surprised/put off by that.

I lugged my Absolute and GL hardcovers all the way to SD so I'm covered.

What I have is basically the World's Finest Deluxe HC, The Originals GN HC (which I may leave at home), 2 comics for me, and 5 for someone who is out of town (not for SS) plus the Watching hardcover for a friend.

I don't expect that all will be signed.

I've been looking for a nice Dr. Who for him (for you), but so far, no luck.

I've got 2 Marvel Premiere slabs that are 9.6, and 2 other Who books en route to an event down the road, but 9.8 of the 80's stuff is getting harder to hunt down. Likely due to success of the new show I'd think. :)

I'd appreciate anything you can find, and anything signed by actors or other folks tied to the show too. :thumbsup:

I thought I had some nice Marvel Premieres in storage, but I recently sold off about 30 boxes of books I didn't want to keep, so I suspect they got mixed up in there as I couldn't find them in any of my remaining boxes.