• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY [!@#%^&^] #@$%@$!!!!!!!!!! SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT

21 posts in this topic

when people labelled pac coast books as the silver age mile highs i thouight it was just HYPE

but, after seeing more and more of the pac coast books with grades 9.6 to 9.8 , u can see why theyve earnt the tag "mile highs" of the silver age

they are just incredible books, structure wise and state of preservation wise with color richness, gloss etc

when people labelled pac coast books as the silver age mile highs i thouight it was just HYPE

but, after seeing more and more of the pac coast books with grades 9.6 to 9.8 , u can see why theyve earnt the tag "mile highs" of the silver age

they are just incredible books, structure wise and state of preservation wise with color richness, gloss etc

No doubt about it, those are amazing books. thumbsup2.gif

does robert roter post here?

maybe he can tell us more about the collection, like the stats on they guy who was the original owner, his age, etc etc, how roter found the collection etc

would be fascinating

i havent read much on the dsicovery of the pac coast boos cos i dont think much has been written about them

does robert roter post here?

maybe he can tell us more about the collection, like the stats on they guy who was the original owner, his age, etc etc, how roter found the collection etc

would be fascinating

i havent read much on the dsicovery of the pac coast boos cos i dont think much has been written about them

No I don't think he does. I remember reading stories about the Pacific Coast Collection. Don't remember where it was though (here or somewhere else?). You're right, however, it isn't a well-documented pedigree considering its probable stature as the Mile High of the Silver Age.

Also Top Left Corner has a ding to it????

Possibly, could be something on the scanner. Still a very pretty comic. laugh.gif

Yes -is possible a scanner thing. Brought it into simple MS Photo Editor and altered the bright/contrast/gamma settings and the upper left really stuck out.

Dang! Trying to grade by scan is worth a fresh-made apple strudel!

I was just about to comment on that bottom staple when I saw your post... yes, it looks pretty funky, and it also appers there's a small amount of tearing/popping at the bottom of that lower staple.

This is also a good example of the slab really obscuring the book; this book would presumably look much more impressive out of the slab. As it is, all sorts of 'blemishes' that must be on the slab appear to be on the cover...

Roter sent me this press release that was published in CBM/CBG back in 1999:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT:

Thursday, September 16, 1999

Robert J. Roter (310) 544-4936

Todd M. Reznik (310) 544-4900

ORIGINAL OWNER COMIC COLLECTION ACQUIRED BY PCE FOR SALE

Los Angeles – An Original Owner Comic Collection named the Pacific Coast Collection has been acquired for immediate sale, it was announced today by the Pacific Comic Exchange, Inc., the online comic book brokerage firm.

The collection of over 7,000 books consists mainly of virtually unread high-grade copies of nearly complete runs of most major comic books published between 1962 and 1977. Publishers included National Periodical, Marvel Comics Group, Gold Key, Dell, ACG, Warren Publishing, and EC comic’s Mad Magazine. The average grade for all books is Near Mint plus, along with off-white to white pages. The collection acquired its name because the collector who bought most of the books right off the newsstand lived in California on the Pacific coast for most of his life.

"While it is unusual to find complete runs of major comic books titles from the early 1960's

through the 1970's, it is even more rare to find copies that have virtually no wear and tear

or other handling defects," said Robert Roter, President of the Pacific Comic Exchange. Roter pointed out that in addition, most of the books also contain white pages and glossy covers making them appear almost exactly as they did when they were originally published. The collection is reminiscent of the famed “Mile High” collection as the collector had stored his books in six feet high stacks.

Pacific Comic Exchange, which was founded in 1990, brokers rare comic books from the early

1930's through the end of the 1970's including many books from both the Golden Age and Silver

Age of comic books. It operates an international online service brokering sales between sellers and buyers. PCE sales have included a 1938 Action Comics #1 which featured the first appearance of Superman. That book sold for a then record $137,500.00.

"While the Pacific Coast Collection doesn't feature any books as valuable as the Action Comics

#1," Roter added, "there are many important books in this collection". Already sold out of

this collection were copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 (first appearance of Spiderman), Amazing Spiderman #1 and the Incredible Hulk #1. Still available are Near Mint Plus copies of X-Men #1 and Tales of Suspense #39 (first appearance of Iron Man). "The X-Men #1 is spectacular," Roter continued,

"We've sold several copies of this book, but this is by far the nicest copy we have ever seen."